1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Excelsior Lounge

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by drdos, Apr 13, 2012.

1. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Have I gone crazy?

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1434763512.664211.jpg

EV SRO 15 (in original box)

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1434763543.618162.jpg

2. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

I don't think you're crazy.

The question is how does it sound?

How about some clips?

3. BariTele

BariTele Tele-Meister

I use a 12AY7 in V1. It still sounds like the Excelsior, but it doesn't break up when you dig in like a 12AX7 does.

Here are some V1 tubes to look into:

12AX7 — 100% gain
    5751 — 70%
    12AT7 — 60%
    12AY7 — 45%

Any replacement will give you a reduction in volume as well as some more clean headroom.

In my experience, V2 doesn't effect volume, but lower gain tubes will make the tremolo disappear.

4. bparnell57

It's loud... Of course. Additionally, it has beautiful fender cleans and the tremolo just throbs. The overdrive is a lot crisper and more controlled. I'll see if I can make a quick low volume clip tonight, but I doubt it. Maybe I'll make a clip in a few weeks when I'm less busy.

5. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I tried a 12AT7 in V1 and it made a noticeable drop in volume. I also put a 12AU7 in there and I was pleasantly surprised, the volume drop was considerable but it didn't have a noticeable detrimental effect on the tone or feel of the amp when playing clean. I haven't been able to crank the amp with the 12AU7 installed but for playing clean it works very well (and this was with a generic Chinese 12AU7 I happened to have around).

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I just got a bone-stock used one yesterday.

I changed the tubes (same types, all RCA's) and did the extremely simple tone control mod - replacing the switch with a 500k pot, soldering wires to the same tabs.

I can't see a need to make any other changes - it has a unique, raw sound more like a cross between an old Silverstone and Magnatone than any Fenders, including the tweeds I have/had.

The cheap 15" speaker starts losing control at midway or so on the volume control, yet the volume level is very usable at that point (for home use or a club, if mic'd). It takes pedals well, so I just stick a clean boost, OD (giving me two distortion flavors - although I keep the guitar volume backed off a bit to "drive" the amp from the guitar), an analog delay and custom-built Leslie unit I can run alone, with the amp speaker or bypassed.

It sounds great with medium-output pickups like Strat, Tele or PAF's, but even better with slightly hotter ones (like the Velvet Hammer VHTBX bridge pickup with the boost coil kicked in).

Great find for $200! It'll probably get far more use than my slightly-more powerful amps (BFDR, 18-watt Marshall etc).

7. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

The OEM speaker is underrated. I like it but I'm an aggressive player playing punk and alt rock so it's perfect for me. Bit of compression keep it up at almost noon and there's the sweet spot.

8. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

I passed on a Yamaha 15" and got this Jupiter instead. 55 bucks used. The amp roars with no flab all the way up. Country at 11, power pop crunch when cranked. Can't wait to put in new tubes and see what happens.

9. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Here is the speaker I settled on. Nice and crunchy when cranked, clean when not abused.

Attached Files:

10. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

Jupiter speakers are nice! I have a 10" SC in my Princeton Reverb.

11. Jobol

Jobol TDPRI Member

Issues with my Fender Excelsior

Hey guys,

I am a complete beginner with amps in general and for the last few days I was looking for an amp to purchase. I never had one or seen one before apart from TV and YouTube videos.

To make the story short, because my funds are severely limited, I ended up buying a second hand Fender Excelsior from a guy I met through online ads at a fairly good price, and the purchase happened in a parking lot. The amp was connected to the car through an inverter.

After a few minutes of discussions, he seemed honest enough so I asked the guy to play it, it made an enjoyable sound to my ears and I said it sounds fine. Although something strange happened as he was demoing it with a guitar plugged in.

He decided to crank the amp and play a solo and as he cranked the amp, a teapot like whistle came yelling at us. The guy thought it was feedback so he lowered to 0 the pickups on the guitar, but the sound didn't go away, so he lowered the volume on the amp and the whistling was gone.

I never handled an amp before so I did not know what to look for in the used amp and I never made the connection that the amp could be bad. I thought maybe the guitar volume wasn't working properly!

Anyways, brought it home and plugged it in, only to discover to my dismay that the amp makes teapot like whistling past 50% the volume and that it was NOT the guitar that was the issue but the amp itself!!! :cry:

So I made a few short videos that I hope someone can watch and help me out figure out what is wrong with this amp :(

First video is the noise it makes when I crank the volume up:

Now this is me tapping lightly the pre-amp tubes: (Notice then when it doesn't make any sound is because I missed the tube due to me looking through my cam)

Now this is how the amp sounds with a guitar plugged in. Notice the whining as well as the rattle and how it gets worst on the bright channel:

So, can anyone help me out?

This is my first amp ever, and I have no idea what I am doing and I have no more funds for parts or repair :cry:

Is this guy now laughing all the way to the bank with the money he took away from me?

Help guys...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  12. bparnell57

Microphonic tubes. My Excelsior Pro is killing me since I put an EV SRO in it and I run EL84 adapters. I had to go through all of my preamp tubes to find two old mullards that would do the job, and even then they will whistle if cranked all the way up and left without being played.

13. Jobol

Jobol TDPRI Member

I see.

I know nothing about amps and tubes in general, so please go easy on me.

These are the tubes that were in there:

[​IMG]

Are these the original ones?

From my tapping lightly on the tubes videos and the live guitar sound, you guess it is both of the tubes that are problematic (microphonic)? Or only the first one or second one?

I did switch (reverse) the position of both tubes and it did substantially alleviate the problem, but not completely fix it. I am guessing they are both bad?

Update:

After several tests, I can now confirm that both tubes are bad: One squeals and the other rattles.

This sucks. I have no funds at the moment to buy tubes, not even 20$ a pop :(

Man, I feel like an idiot for trusting this guy and buying his faulty amp :cry:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  14. papaphaedrus

papaphaedrus Tele-Meister

Just grab one for now, look online for a jj ecc83s. You should be able to find one for less than $15 and replace the one that squeals, then replace the one that rattles when you get another few bucks. Also, don't run the amp with the speaker disconnected, that's bad for it. Good luck sir!

15. papaphaedrus

Also, no, those are not the stock tubes. The jj's I recommended are pretty close to the stock tubes, those are lower gain tubes from (I'm guessing) the 80's or 90's. I haven't seen stickers on tubes in quite a while.

16. papaphaedrus

Oh yeah, one more thing. You didn't buy a faulty amp. Tube amps need me tubes every so often, that's the nature of the beast.

17. Jobol

Jobol TDPRI Member

OK, thanks for all your help.

I returned it to the guy who was honest enough to refund me.

It is a shame, I really liked the sound of it.

18. himay

himay TDPRI Member

I would have just had him reimburse enough to get some decent tubes. They ain't making any more of these! Love my surf green Pro, 100% stock. I did have to send one back to Proaudiostar for multiple microphonic tubes. After owning it less than a month it started with all the noises and whines. I messed with it for a couple days, trying different speakers,etc, then let them know. They overnighted my return and the replacement. Good luck.

19. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Tele-Meister

I'm Back.....

Don't know what happened, but I quit receiving notifications of new posts. Also, I haven't been playing my Excelsior for a while.....no specific reason, I just rotate through my amps.

The other day I decided to try out my keyboard through the amp. I don't play Keys so don't ask me why I have one 'cause that's another story. :D Anyway, a friend who does play keys is coming to visit on the Labor Day weekend for a community jam so I figured I'd test the keyboard/Exy combination to make sure it would sound OK. I've seen the demos where accordions were playing thru one, so thought It might work. Mine is the Brown w/ a Legend 1518, a tone pot mod, and a 5751 in V1.

WOW! what a great sound this combination yields. Tried it in all 3 inputs and liked the mic' input best. The keyboard has a sustain pedal, and I put my Morley Plus volume pedal in the signal chain. With the keyboard's volume @1/2 and the Exy's volume @ only 9 o'clock and the Morley maxed, that thing is LOUD and clear....super great sound (I can manage a couple of chords). The 'Plus' feature on the Morley allows for setting the min. vol. (heel back) and this rig rocks.

Missed a few pages of the forum, so I don't know if anyone else has used the Exy with a keyboard, but thought I'd share what I consider another great use for the Excelsior. Sorry if it's redundant.

20. bparnell57

Sounds sweet. I use mine for Bass VI sometimes. Haven't tried it with the freshly installed EV SRO but I'm sure it'll sound great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.