The Excelsior Lounge

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by drdos, Apr 13, 2012.

1. wosinek

wosinek TDPRI Member

I love my Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ because it REALLY helps getting various tones
    from the Excelsior not possible with one tone pot. Set the EQ in a " V " pattern with Level output on 80% or even higher if you want some additional OD effect... not a lot but enough for lots of players. Then final adjust tone with the Excelsior Tone Pot I added.
    Yes, the standard speaker in the Brown Ex will flab out and is lower volume than a Pro but with the EQ you can nearly notch out the flab with a little work.
    Still enjoying my amp with both a Strat and a Les Paul covering all the bases I need.

2. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Do you use the fish and chips with other amps too? I have an excelsior, but use a SS Peavy Bandit, wondering if it would be ideal for that too.

3. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Yeah sound got all messed up on the youtube vid...never mind lol

4. wosinek

wosinek TDPRI Member

i have used it to tweak up a Partscaster with thin pickups and, yes, sometimes to get a little more volume and brown sound out of a small solid state Fender amps or a Traynor TS-25 that I don't like it's built in gain.
    I try it once with my chibson to try to increase the treble side but I think the 10K pickups
    over drove the EQ cause I could never it to do what I wanted.
    Still, it you don't break the thing its a nice pedal especially for the money.

5. raneym305

raneym305 TDPRI Member

So... It's kind of sounding like I should give Joyo a second look. I've always been leery of Joyo. They just seem like a big conglomerate that happened to acquire a music division in a previous acquisition or merger-

The Joyo Concept (joyoaudio.com): "Closely relying on a variety of marketing channels, we provide great support to our partners, and provide the most advanced products and best services to our customers! We will strike a balance of our mutual benefit, and improve the benefit-sharing mechanism to enjoy common development and prosperity!"

There's nothing wrong with Corporate America (or, in this case, Corporate China), but I've always preferred to support the smaller guys by purchasing a hand-built pedal by Peter Rutter in Puyallup, WA (VFE) or Chad Matthews in Cookeville, TN (Cmatmods) rather than an a pedal built on an assembly line somewhere in China.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  6. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Tele-Meister

I'm not into any of that.
    If it sounds good....A number of the JOYO's do sound great.
    If it's reasonably priced......The JOYO's are ridiculously inexpensive.
    If it is reliable (lasts)....remains to be seen yet; so far, so good.
    So for me, it was a no-brainer to try.

7. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i have not experience this flab. i wonder if it has to do with pickups?

chris.

8. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

in the stomp box section, the fish n chips eq is very well liked. especially for the price. so i do not see why it would not work for you.

chris.

9. raneym305

raneym305 TDPRI Member

Like I said, I'm going to give them a second look. I went through too many cheap (in quality and price) pedals as a teenager that I adopted the mentality "you get what you pay for." However, seeing as how so many people swear by these $30 - $40 pedals, I really have nothing to lose!

Thanks for the input!

10. sixpackdate

sixpackdate TDPRI Member

Has anyone here put an effects loop in their excelsior, or have recommendations? It seems to be a simple process, then I started reading up on different strategies, serial vs parallel, blend pots, etc. and am confused. Thanks

11. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

The Fish n Chips is an EQ I find especially suited for guitar and solid state amps. I use it with my Laney GC 50, which is not a great amp. It s a little dark, the tone controls don't do much, and even though I play light gauge strings, it sounded like I had .13 or thicker cables on my tele.
    But I got it for like $65 when I needed something quick, like within the hour, and it was loud enough. My fish n chips allowed that amp to sound pretty damn good and I wound up keeping it. I've used more expensive eq pedals in the past, but the fish n chips is still my favorite eq for six string electric.

12. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Would you put the F&C last in the chain?

13. papaphaedrus

papaphaedrus Tele-Meister

That all depends. Traditionally, yes, but an eq will alert the response of your other pedals, so play with it to see what you like best. I use eq pedals very early in the chain so it gooses the od a bit.

14. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

what are you guys running for tubes these days?

this month iv started to use this amp again, last month it was my orange.

chris,

15. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Cool, thanks! I don't really play with pedals, except for a holy grail nano for my excelsior, was thinking of doing the tone pot mod but it looks like i can get away with just using an EQ.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  16. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

All used pulls, but an old Mullard 12at7, a mullard 12ax7, and using two VHT Special 6 adapters, some old Japanese Magnavox branded EL34's. Definitely a pretty funky tone with some British flavor, kinda mixed with an old style valco or danelectro amp.

17. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I usually put it first, unless I am using a Fuzz Face. When I have no tone amps, like an Exi or C-600, it works great as a tone control.

18. Modern Saint

Modern Saint Tele-Meister

Got my Excelsior Pro used about a year ago. I use for blues gigs and when my TP tribute was playing, I would combine it with my Tweed Deluxe Clone and blend the sounds. Granted Campbell used it for primarily solo boosts, I loved the way the Deluxe and Excelsior sounded together.

As for pedals, I used a modded TS9, a Fuchs Plush Drive, and a few others with no issues. As for mods it was just the preamp tubes. The Power Tubes sound fine for me at this time. Just replaced the Deep/Bright switch for a tone control. I now can dial in what I want which really helps. Added some Chicken Knobs to change the look

[​IMG]

19. timmyc

timmyc Tele-Meister

i was at a local pawn broker and they had a brown one there that had been modded.
    they were asking 300 for it which i thought was quite high. so i plugged it in and grabbed a tele and with the tone mod i noticed to difference in sound. from off to full no real change. has anybody else found this or is this just a botched upgrade?

20. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Tele-Meister

$300 is (IMO) way too high! If you're referring to the replacement of the stock 2 position switch with a pot, the change is the same from cw to ccw max. Quite noticeably too dark to too bright which is the reason for the pot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.