The Evolution of the Domestic Dog

Sollipsist

Tele-Afflicted
I'm generally against dog clothes, but my wife gets to put a hat on them every once in a while. If that's the biggest compromise I have to make, I'm a pretty lucky husband.

Case in point...
Resized_20181224_092148_237.jpeg

ifallalot

Tele-Afflicted
I don't think they were considering clothing on dogs, or breeding them down into miniatures, but there's a beautiful native american fable/allegory that reflects on the dog's place with humans:

(Insert deity here) gathered all the animals and humans together, and had all the humans stand over here, while the animals stood over there. A chasm in the ground began to open up between them. At the last second, dog jumped across to be with man.
Must be the holiday season because that made me feel like I had something in my eyes

ifallalot

Tele-Afflicted
https://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/pets/
We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals’ best interests if the institution of “pet keeping”—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as “pets”—never existed.

Apparently against it more in theory than in practice
PETA is probably the worst organization in existence today. And that includes ISIS and the KKK

https://www.petakillsanimals.com

Sollipsist

Tele-Afflicted
Thundershirts....one of our dogs is terrified of thunder. We got her a thundershirt and it does work. I still say it looks a little odd, but she doesn't care.
They're a godsend for many dogs with anxiety. Doesn't work for every dog, but I've seen pits, labs, two goldens, and at least one greyhound that it made a clear improvement.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I agree that PETA is insane. Just saying that they are also completely inconsistent.

I myself would be good with dogs rising up against their owners , baring fangs to their throats, and I cheer whenever some "brave" circus animal trainer meets death at the claws of it's subject. :)

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Anything that eats their own crap & drinks out of the toilet really doesn't have much natural dignity. Animals do NOT rationalize that way.
Myself; I am NOT a dog lover; in fact I consider them nuisance animals. They bite,bark,crap, & stink & people STILL feed them. Although it's not really all their fault; people don't discipline their animals (or their kids nowadays) and on my job, I go into about 300 homes per week, & I get really pissed when people don't control their dog's behavior.
And YES; I own a dog; he was a rescue & I couldn't let him go to the pound. I guess I just can't stand OTHER PEOPLE'S dogs (or kids!) but I love mine.
Some of my favorite PEOPLE here "bite, bark, crap, & stink & STILL people feed them." So....I'd just scratch them behind the ears, and ignore their annoying little habits......
....and bless you dickey for your rescue dog.......you're "not so bad" after all. ;)

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I agree that PETA is insane. Just saying that they are also completely inconsistent.

I myself would be good with dogs rising up against their owners , baring fangs to their throats, and I cheer whenever some "brave" circus animal trainer meets death at the claws of it's subject. :)
Aw, blowtorch.....don't CHEER when the animal trainer meets death at the claws of its subject.....(just smile inwardly, and feel smug and self satisfied.....;) )

GuitarKid

Tele-Holic
I'm obliged to keep 10 cats indoors because stupid humans might poison them, and stupid human civilization has come to a car craze in which humans supposedly arent bothered to drive carefully or even try to stop their stupid cars when they see a helpless little creature, dog cat or whatever, in their sacred way.
Compassion, apparently, is something for old farts and dumbasses. An obsolete thing of the past. Teenagers, the future grown ups who are going to eventually throw you and I in a nursery home and yell at our faces that everything we've learned and experienced is wrong and useless, cannot enjoy the real life outside of a cellphone, youtube or instgram. Apparently, the closest thing to "real life" that they know are insane, noisy, hell-ish, perverted and uncivilized places called "raves".
If a small creature can't f***, party, drink and drive a car, it's useless to them.
I'd like my cats to have more freedom, but, as it seems from the look in their eyes, they're glad to be inside and protected from the irrational beings outside.
They're getting a special meal today for Christmas, because they're sensible beings who have a soul. I'm not untouched by all the human beings who suffer, who don't have a home, food or love, especially at this time of the year. Many of them are noble souls; I try to help them with charity. But unfortunately, our human race has been about 70% poop.

Last edited: