The Equalizer!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 29, 2014.

1. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

You make an interesting point. I never made a point of watching The Equaliser but when I did see it, it seemed to have a low production aesthetic that did make it appear real, rather in the same way that Winner shot Bronson in those revenge movies. Similar premise too - one good man.

I'm not sure if in either case it was intentional, in fact in Winner's case I'm pretty sure it was more a case of ineptitude meets cynicism, but perhaps he unwittingly created a whole new aesthetic. :eek:

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

3. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

And the big ol' toupee. Don't forget the big ol' toupee.

4. Toto'sDad

I just realized that when they show Denzel Washington shaving his head at the beginning of the movie, it's a dig on Edwardo's rug! Coooool, maybe too subtle, I missed it until your quote Skully.

5. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Careful with the rug gags. :eek:

6. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

Most British Shakespearean actors don't get Oscars, since they normally don't star in those sort of films. He did get the 1986 Golden Globe Award for Best Television Drama Actor for his role as Robert McCall though. He also earned the 1970 British Academy Television Award for Best Actor for the tiltle role in Callan.

The most important thing is that he had the authority needed to pull off the part without all the normal effects of modern action movies - toupee or not!;)

7. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to love The Equalizer.

And saying Edward Woodward.

Edward Woodward.

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

if anyone would.. edward woodward...;)

9. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

No offense to Denzel, but I've done more damage with tools from those "Home Mart" stores than he could ever dream about. Just check out my house sometime...

10. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I used to watch The [I]Equalizer[/I]. I liked it, but I think my girlfriend at the time had a crush on somebody connected with the show and that is the main reason we watched it.

My favorite TV name to repeat is Bob Loblaw, the character which also has one of my favorite quotes,"Why should you go to jail for a crime somebody else noticed?"

Indeed!

Best-Arrested-Development-Quotes.jpg

11. Veebus52

Veebus52 Tele-Meister

The wife and I saw the Equalizer last weekend as well and we both really enjoyed it. What I particularly liked was that he didn't have to get the ****** beat out of him before rallying to kick the bad guys a$$. Seems like every movie since the original "Rocky" has the bad guy appear to be winning the battle before the good guy rises to the occasion. I'm really tired of that script. Refreshing and Denzel makes a really good action hero.

12. Toto'sDad

Since you probably haven't seen the movie, I'm gonna cut you some slack on not mentioning Denzel's impersonation of the PIP on the right of Gladys Knight and the PIPS fame. I'm absolutely sure Denzel's rendition would beat anything Mr. Woodward could mange! ;)

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

We saw the movie saturday night. We laughed out loud several times during the film. It was among the most ridiculous and just stupid made of wood movies I have seen in a long time.

We had high hopes (from the makers of Training Day)... We even liked the flying upside down movie... but this... was just embarrassing. If you enjoyed it, that makes me happy because we felt cheated by a dumb plot, huge leaps that make no sense, villains that.. well, why not just dress them up as snidely whiplash?

What a joke of a movie. I hope Denzel is embarrassed of it.

This movie was so full of cliches and nonsense.. well, it sucked... I'll just leave it at that. It sucked.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is for Larry: I thought this was an equalizer:

[​IMG]

15. Toto'sDad

The Equalizer raked in 35 million this weekend, pretty good for a movie that only cost 50 million to make. If Denzel so chooses and makes a sequel, I'll be there with popcorn in hand waiting for another bad guy to go down. I don't need much of a plot, just something comfortable to lie down in, whoops wrong plot.

16. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Hmmm. :cry:

17. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

That film got a lot of good reviews and an Oscar for Denzel, but I thought that after the first act it just descended into ridiculousness, too. The conspiracy was just too big and too comic book.

18. Toto'sDad

I'm sorry, I know a lot of you guys like more realistic plots, with no holes in logic like. Transformers, Iron Man, Blade, Captain America, Batman, Alien and realistic movies of that genre.:lol::lol::lol:

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

fair enough...

take the criticisms you have for training day and quintuple them.

TD, The difference between the movies you listed is that they ARE fantasy sci fi movies....

The Equalizer is about a 'regular' guy who works at Home Depot hiding that he was some kind of secret killer assassin in a previous life (and kind of in the neighborhood) who creates a new life after faking his death... and he NEVER runs into anyone he knows....

And after blowing up tons of stuff, shootouts at his favorite diner, a massacre of sorts at his 'home store'... and just whisking into Moscow and dispatching folks with impunity... he returns to his old place and old life (at the end of the movie) and the hooker with a heart of gold takes his 9800.00 and turns her life around....

Yep. Iron Man AND Alien are both more believable.

20. Toto'sDad

Well, la te da! You may direct your comments to my constituents, we all liked it!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.