1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The English Beat

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by chemobrain, Jun 28, 2018.

1. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks! Yes, you're right '79. It's a long time ago and my memory of thise days is a bit, er, hazy. But with a bit of googling it turns out the Beat weren't on that tour and they weren't even on 2 Tone. Definitely something familiar about the way the stage looks though, I might have seen another gig.

PeterUK likes this.
  2. aux8

aux8 Tele-Meister

Too nice to talk to - 12" version ;)

3. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The gig I saw in Bristol didn’t feature The Beat - well not in Bristol anyway - but you mentions Leicester so the line-up may have been different.

I saw The Beat three months later in 1980.

I did see The Jam in Leicester (De Montford Hall) in 1981 with T’Pau supporting them. It was the loudest gig I’ve ever been to.

My ears are still ringing!

:) Peter

BoogerRooger likes this.
  4. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Forgive me going off topic but talking about The Jam and ears ringing, I'm from Nottingham and my mates' band got a support slot for The Jam at Loughborough, also in 79 and I went along as the roadie. I got to watch their set from the desk at the front of the balcony and stayed up there for The Jam's set. At the end of A Bomb in Wardour Street firework detonations went off at the back of the stage but no one had noticed Rick Buckler knock over one of his drum mikes, which was still open, lying next to one of the fireworks when it went off. It sounded like an A Bomb went off! The place shook, the whole audience ducked and all the accumulated dust and crap fell from the roof beams. It was spectacular and wasn't out of place in a great set!

PeterUK likes this.
  5. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m a Nottingham man too. I’m still here in Keyworth, 7-miles from Trent Bridge.

Great story re: The Jam. Thanks for sharing.

:) Peter

6. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I saw the Wakeling version of the group several years back, evidently one of that lineup's very first shows (Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk), because Dave apologized that they hadn't rehearsed this one yet (my favorite Beat track). Interestingly, they had Lynval Goulding of The Specials on vocals and guitar.

aux8 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.