The Emeraldcaster Project (aka Son of Meloncaster)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Buckocaster51, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Gtrpicker62

Gtrpicker62 TDPRI Member

Buckocaster51, I know you have moved on from the Deft lacquer to 2 part polyurethane. I have not done so yet but would like to. Can you share with me how many coats of two part clear it is taking you to gain enough depth to level out over the flake? With rattle can lacquer it takes as you will know more than 30 coats. Also adding a picture of a new one I'm working on in metal flake. Thought I would try an American flag so far I think it's going good. 20180518_114230.jpg

S-arm, zippofan, ndcaster and 4 others like this.
  2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Cool! I start out with AT LEAST 6 heavy coats of automotive polyurethane clear to bury the flake. Then I let it set for several weeks. Knock down the high spots and scuff it up. Then put on another 6 coats. Let it set for a loooong time. Level sand it and polish it up. Is that the one going to Joel U?

Barncaster, Gtrpicker62 and getbent like this.
  3. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I put most of a gallon of DEFT on the Emeraldcaster. 10 years later it still looks pretty good.

But...I spent many months doing it...

Gtrpicker62 likes this.
  4. Gtrpicker62

Gtrpicker62 TDPRI Member

Yes that is the one going to Jo-El. I posted a pic on one of the Facebook pages and he contacted me immediately. So this one is going to him when it's done. My original plan was to do black flake on the sides and back and he changed it to the cobalt blue like the blue in the flag.

5. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister

That is something else - I don't do "flash" very much - but, man I'd be tickled having that on stage! Well done sir!

Gtrpicker62 likes this.
  6. Gtrpicker62

Gtrpicker62 TDPRI Member

Thank you very much for your kind words. I think this one will be a beauty when it's finished. I probably should start a second one as I've had a lot of interest in this one from Telecaster folks out there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.