1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Emeraldcaster Project (aka Son of Meloncaster)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Buckocaster51, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Gtrpicker62

Gtrpicker62 TDPRI Member

Buckocaster51, I know you have moved on from the Deft lacquer to 2 part polyurethane. I have not done so yet but would like to. Can you share with me how many coats of two part clear it is taking you to gain enough depth to level out over the flake? With rattle can lacquer it takes as you will know more than 30 coats. Also adding a picture of a new one I'm working on in metal flake. Thought I would try an American flag so far I think it's going good. 20180518_114230.jpg

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Cool! I start out with AT LEAST 6 heavy coats of automotive polyurethane clear to bury the flake. Then I let it set for several weeks. Knock down the high spots and scuff it up. Then put on another 6 coats. Let it set for a loooong time. Level sand it and polish it up. Is that the one going to Joel U?

Barncaster, Gtrpicker62 and getbent like this.
  3. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I put most of a gallon of DEFT on the Emeraldcaster. 10 years later it still looks pretty good.

But...I spent many months doing it...

Gtrpicker62 likes this.
  4. Gtrpicker62

Gtrpicker62 TDPRI Member

Yes that is the one going to Jo-El. I posted a pic on one of the Facebook pages and he contacted me immediately. So this one is going to him when it's done. My original plan was to do black flake on the sides and back and he changed it to the cobalt blue like the blue in the flag.

5. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That is something else - I don't do "flash" very much - but, man I'd be tickled having that on stage! Well done sir!

Gtrpicker62 likes this.
  6. Gtrpicker62

Gtrpicker62 TDPRI Member

Thank you very much for your kind words. I think this one will be a beauty when it's finished. I probably should start a second one as I've had a lot of interest in this one from Telecaster folks out there.

7. Pastacaster

Pastacaster TDPRI Member

Wow Steve,
    12 years later and people are still finding this thread and learning from it.

Decided to do a sparkle finish on my new ES 335 kit.
    I'm only half way through this thread but have started doing a test on a scrap piece of wood.

20191227_163005.jpg

Started with some 0.025 flake loaded into an old spice shaker that I'd cleaned out.
    Threw down a few quick coats of grey primer and then went for it with the flake and rattle can clear coat.

20191227_200724.jpg
    20191227_200700.jpg

I can already see it sinking into the flake and it's going to need a lot more clear before it's ready to wet sand and polish.

Feeling good though about starting the actual process on the guitar.

8. Pastacaster

Pastacaster TDPRI Member

Hey Guys,
    So I've finished up on the neck and it's been curing for a few weeks now and the clear coat is starting to really shrink into the gaps in the flake.

20200204_093325.jpg

20200204_092903.jpg

20200204_092740.jpg

I'm wondering what the best way to deal with this is.
    Should I wait a few months until it's completely cured then sand and coat again or should I just go over it now with more laquer?

Or is it possible to just treat it like a bad orange peel and wet sand this as it is once it has cured?

Thanks again from an eager novice.

E-miel likes this.
  9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

WOW!

1. BE CAREFUL! If you sand through, it's close to impossible to spot repair (it's impossible for ME anyway...)
    2. Sanding a bit now could make it easier later (requires fewer coats to get it flat)
    3. If you get it totally flat now, be emotionally prepared for the orange peel to come back again as it continues to cure.
    4. BE CAREFUL! If you sand through, it's close to impossible to spot repair (it's impossible for ME anyway...)

Pastacaster, E-miel and LeftFinger like this.
  10. no doz

no doz TDPRI Member

I'm about to attempt my first flake finish and this thread has been such an amazing wealth of information, huge thanks to everyone who's shared their knowledge over the years, especially you Steve, it's been very helpful to me thus far!

I was hoping to get some feedback on my intended gameplan before I begin the process, I would love to avoid any potential missteps and maybe someone will spot a red flag in my plans that I'm currently missing due to my inexperience with flake finishes.

I'm building a Jazzmaster. It's a mahogany body from Warmoth that I've already carefully grain-filled and level-sanded over the last few weeks. I'm going to paint it Olympic White and I want to do a pretty subtle white flake over the top; a mix of .004 and .008 flake from Paint With Pearl. The plan is not so much Buck Owens disco ball, just a touch of depth and dimension when the light catches it right. I'll also be painting the front of the headstock to match.

Here are the next steps that I'm planning on, would absolutely love feedback or suggestions if anyone senses disaster in my future.

1. Apply + flatten a few coats of sanding sealer from Stew-Mac.
    2. Apply a few coats of ReRanch white primer.
    3. Spraypaint the body using Duplicolor Olympic White acrylic rattlecans.
    4. Allow paint to properly dry.
    5. Mix my flake and my clear (Behlan Instrument Lacquer) until I'm satisfied with the flake blend (I already have a testboard painted and ready to experiment on).
    6. Spray the guitar and headstock with a few coats of the clear plus flake until I'm satisfied with the results (I'm planning to use a Preval sprayer, although the spice shaker method seems enticing too).
    7. Spray as much clear sans flake as necessary to properly bury all the flake coats I've sprayed prior.
    8. Put it away in a closet until it fully cures.
    9. Wet sand 600 thru 3000+, buff and polish until it's finished.
    10. Post a pic and bask in the glory of strangers' compliments lol
    Thanks ya'll, hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!

11. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

Do very careful testing to make sure all of the different brands of paint are compatible. Make sure that each layer is completely out gassed before moving on to the next. You don't want to find out that the ReRanch didn't like the StewMac when you're shooting the flake. Your best bet on a project like this would be to use one brand for all of the products. Although this may be more expensive, it will eliminate possible problems.
    Cheers,
    Woody

no doz likes this.
  12. no doz

no doz TDPRI Member

That's good advice, thank you Woody! I tried out all the possible combos sans flake on a test board about three months back to make sure they'd all play well with eachother over an extended period, no issues thus far. I supposed the actual flake itself has the potential to change that though, so I'll make sure to give myself enough test time.

Thanks again!

13. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

Sounds like you're well on your way to a successful finish.
    Cheers,
    Woody

no doz likes this.
  14. Pastacaster

Pastacaster TDPRI Member

Thought I'd post a couple of progress pics on the ES-335 kit.
    Almost there now, probably another few coats for the body and it will hopefully be done.
    In hindsight I regret using such a large flake (0.25) as the amount of clear coat and sanding that has been needed is monumental. It was also a nightmare to get a clean line along the binding but its been a good learning experience.
    This will hopefully be complete in a couple of months and I'll be taking the things I've learned into the next project which will probably be a strat kit.
    Will post some completed pics once this thing is assembled.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.