The Elvis movie opens next Friday. Can't wait

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I find Tom Hanks to be too transparently still Tom Hanks in his recent roles so I will only see the new movie “The Colonel (and elvis)” once it reaches my local Blockbuster.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I hold no great expectations but we will go next weekend to a matinee.
It’s not a documentary. It’s a “story” based around the “story” of Elvis.
It’s like Bohemian Rhapsody was a good, entertaining movie based on the ”story” of Queen
Im hoping to be entertained for a couple of hours. Nothing more, nothing less

Doe74

TDPRI Member
It's hard to say but it seems like Hanks as Parker, is at least part narrating the story.
that makes sense because from my understanding the movie is supposed to be told from Parker’s point of view. I’m going to pass.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I used to say hello to my citycentres Elvis but he liked a drink and the last time we spoke he had a dodgy hip.
About three years ago I was passing a towerblock whilst wandering another side of the city and saw him coming out of it
to get a seat in the sun but had to use the wall to keep himself upright, I felt bad for him as he had the moves, his hip clearly now duff.

A charity shop vinyl buy from about twenty five years ago is Elvis Costellos' dad doing a full album of Elvis covers. Seems it is now
worth a substantial amount of money.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
Not seeing this. Kurt Russell was the best IMO, and Carpenter did the best job. I love early Elvis, but not what he became during his movie era, or anything past the 68 special.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Tom Hanks was pretty entertaining on Colbert last night. I was never an Elvis fan, but wouldn't avoid seeing it for entertainment value.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I find Tom Hanks to be too transparently still Tom Hanks in his recent roles so I will only see the new movie “The Colonel (and elvis)” once it reaches my local Blockbuster.

Maybe they could combine Elvis and Top Gun and have him flying alongside Tom Cruise! Then they could switch up and have them do a duo singing and dancing.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I've gone back and forth on Elvis over the years, from thinking he was hopelessly corny to great to thinking he was corny. Some of those early sun records are great and some are pretty ridiculous. Some of his recordings are great and some make me laugh out loud. The movies?

He was kind of infantile--the whole love affair with Priscilla is really creepy. She was 14. Fourteen. You get staggeringly rich and famous at 20 years, old, there's a grave risk of arrested development.

I've read a fair number of Elvis books including Peter Guralnick's two volume biography and IMHO Colonel Parker really was a villain, a carny with no love for anything but money. Presley could have made good movies, but Parker had him churning out dreck. His musical career was similarly mostly about opportunism rather than art. Parker was fine with Elvis drugged up as long as he could trot him out for a string of shows, and in terms of music Parker just wanted to keep the product flowing. Elvis still managed to have some great moments.

The trailer looks like it's set to redeem Parker: he and elvis, two special dreamers against the world, hooray for show biz etc. It looks hard to take
+1

I read the Guralnick book and there were no hero’s, just enablers and users. It was in line with everything I’ve heard over the last 50 years. Elvis was just an infantile, pathetic loser that had to have every base impulse immediately satisfied. A 20 something MAN with a 14 year old GIRL??? That’s a pedophile. Creepy. Should result in prison time.

But his music? Lots of great music, lots of cringe-worthy music. I really like it all.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I've watched the trailers and interviews with Austin Butler who plays Elvis and Tom Hanks who plays Colonel Parker.
Butler has many of Elvis' moves down, sings fairly well and gets close on the Elvis accent, mannerisms.
It's hard to say but it seems like Hanks as Parker, is at least part narrating the story.
Younger folks may not appreciate Elvis any longer but he was the guy who blew the doors off of pop culture with his attitude, performances, music and looks. He was a rebel. How many dads disliked him because he threatened the idea of their daughters "virtue"?
I have a feeling that I'll be listening to some Elvis music after seeing the movie.
Anyone planning to see it on the big screen?
Nope - don't plan of being this or any re-evisioned biopics on any one. They are all pretty banal - Even Walk The Line - come on Johnny Cash was not that glamorous - he was a pill jockey during that time - Elvis was a creepy guy in his personal life - and his public life was all show - I did like Suspicious Minds and In The Ghetto - and his early stuff had a vibe to it - but again I can't get past his lifestyle.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Get the TCB plane and buzz Graceland!
AND THEN, when the plane buzzes Graceland, one of the landing gears falls off AND they run out of fuel! Then we see them CRASH landing on the forty, with ELVIS at the controls, while Tom Cruise is electronically signing autographs. (Which turns out to be an iPhone 13 commercial)

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Not seeing this. Kurt Russell was the best IMO, and Carpenter did the best job. I love early Elvis, but not what he became during his movie era, or anything past the 68 special.

There’s an early 70s Elvis special, it might even be the Aloha one, but all I know is he did have a white jumpsuit on but was super skinny, like almost “coke” skinny but - he and his band were phenomenal .

His band ! Elvis never played with any hacks and that one that James Burton led with Ronny Tut and Whitney Houston’s mom and all them ? All killers.
Maybe they could combine Elvis and Top Gun and have him flying alongside Tom Cruise! Then they could switch up and have them do a duo singing and dancing.

I like the way you’re thinking !

But we just need to add a “fat Elvis” dirigible/zeppelin/blimp/balloon doing lazy circles above it all

1655571072531.jpeg