The eighties hard rock, which wasn't hair metal, thread.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, May 25, 2020.

1. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

And not a single Telecaster in the bunch. Take it to pointyguitartalk.com or wherever people go to discuss their high school dirtball days. :D

rocksmoot and Pixies2005 like this.
  2. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Status Quo?

3. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

The line between Pop and Metal in the '80s was a fine one to walk, with many Hard Rock acts either crossing over or being adopted by the metalhead crowd; I put Kiss, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Scorpions, and Judas Priest in this category. Many metalhead girlfriends brought Bon Jovi in that circle, but I'd never call them Metal by any measure.
    This is my best guess from my fuzzy memories of being a budding metalhead in the mid-80s:

Motorhead - Come on, this one's obvious.
    Bon Jovi - See above.
    AC/DC - Adopted by metalheads, but you'd never hear anybody define them as "Metal".
    Kim Mitchell - You know, the "Go For A Soda" guy? Definitely not Metal, but not Pop either. That was a straight-up Dive Bar Rock anthem.
    Billy Squier - Might be tempting to put him in the Pop category, but think about if for a bit...
    King's X - Yeah, they didn't really break until 1990 with "Faith Hope Love", but had two solid albums in the late '80s

That's all I got for now...

4. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Not worth listening to.

5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You're from Texas, so I assume you're one of those people who only knows them of their only US-hit "Pictures of matchstick men"

Boy are you missing out if that's the case...

6. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

7. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

One of my favorite bands of the 80's and still is today. A rockin band----The Cult

8. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree TDPRI Member

I enjoyed Motley Crue's records, but was repelled by their appearance.

AC/DC was beyond category. Timeless excellence. A sound that will never grow old.

Roth-era Van Halen ruled hard rock, in my view. Humor and fun were integral to their thing. No black-clad posturing as pseudo-badasses.

Of course, as a guitarist myself, I thought that Ed stood alone, unsurpassed. I still think this.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

OP said 80s hard rock that was neither metal nor hair/butt rock. Early 80s there was still some major label stuff on MTV and such. By the latter half it was dead and gone, smothered by Poison and their ilk. If it wasn't selling in straight up rock world, it sold with some repackaging in the college/alternative music sphere (The Cult, Smithereens, to name but a few).

Case in point... Compare this to what he put out just a few years later.

But these guys. 1985. The Flame notwithstanding. These guys just kept right on truckin', writing and playing hooky melodic kick-ars power pop rock. In suits. No latex to be found. Consider that the first Posies album came out only a few years later....

10. typek585

typek585 TDPRI Member

Ugly Kid Joe (but it might classify as a 90s band)

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Twisted Sister were very good live. Yes, there's hair everywhere, but they don't fit with the poodlerock too well.
    Michael Schenker Group
    Tank
    Budgie
    Ian Gillan Band
    Girlschool

The best band of the eighties though, were, ( to me ) Motorhead. They were Motorhead, and they played Rock and Roll

12. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Bands not mentioned on the spectrum:

Y&T - hard rock
    Cinderella - hair metal
    W.A.S.P - metal

13. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I think Cinderella gets mis-cast as hair metal. Yes, they were dressing the part. But most of their stuff has more in common with Nazareth than Poison. There's a hefty amount of blues underpinning.

14. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

OMG! BOC meets Doctor Who meets Phantasm....

15. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Those are hair metal bands as far as I'm concerned. If you dig hair metal, I'd say just own it. No need to make up sub-categories that don't really exist just to make it less un-manly. It's like a musical guilty pleasure, we all have them.

16. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Badlands just barely squeaks in with their eponymous debut album hitting in '88 or '89. Jake E. Lee basically puts his spin on southern hard rock and it is excellent, and Ray Gillen's voice deserves its own spot in the rock pantheon - the dude totally wails. Their second album, Voodoo Highway, was like '93 or so and definitely sits in my top 10, possibly top 5. I imagine this is a little late for the intended spirit of the thread, but they're a totally forgotten gem and I'm always itching to give them some press. They also have a third album, Dusk, that was released after Gillen's death that's basically like a really cleaned up collection of demos from before Voodoo Highway, I believe. Certainly worth a listen as well, though not quite as good just by the nature of it.

Funny enough, I found these guys in the same place I found Izzy's record I mentioned above. Same record shop did little surprise boxes of random tapes for a few bucks and I'd go with my dad to get those pretty often and see what we found. Pretty sure I got that Voodoo Highway tape in the same box I got this really cool tape of early Elvis B-sides that were serious rockabilly gold. Man, record stores dying out is a damn shame.

17. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Can't believe no one mentioned Jane's Addiction.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  18. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

The guitar in the right channel is either an 86 or 87 Tele, the other side is a Strat and this did make it to the radio at the time.

19. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I love most 80s rock/hard rock/metal. However, I wasn’t a fan of late 80s party metal. By the time all the glitzy hair bands were on MTV, I had moved onto college rock/indie bands.

20. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Man the 80's... I was cool back then. I loved this great band!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.