The Dumbest Thing I've Ever Heard!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Jan 25, 2020.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

On one of the many motorcycle trips my wife and I took, we once were behind a group of long haul truckers talking to each other on their CB radios. We were listening in and one of them was trying to explain the Electoral College to the others. While he didn't know exactly where the college was he was pretty sure it was near Washington DC and that politicians attended it and were involved with the election and who won. There were a number of ideas batted around but in the end all of them decided it was just a place where the rich people could afford to send their kids so they could eventually get into politics. They then went back to how they couldn't get profitable loads, whether it was better to be independent or work for a trucking company and what sort of things they saw going on in passing 4 wheelers.

2. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

While I believe wholeheartedly in education, education does not prevent stupidity. Anyone who has worked at a university can vouch for that. (Well, unless they're one of the stupid ones.) The Dunning-Kreuger effect is rampant among highly-educated people, especially in the sheltered environment of academia. There is an unfortunate arrogance one encounters there, which is the antithesis of open-minded intellectual curiosity.

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's why I love this forum. You can find threads like this one that go on for 6 pages or more about how people are stupid. I wonder where all the stupid people go to talk about us?

4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Nailed it.

Bluesboy3 likes this.
  5. Marc Morfei

I could tell you, but that might be against the rules.

Deathray and suave eddie like this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

NO NO NO NO NO. Half are less intelligent than the median! :cool: But this brings up an important point about intelligence and ignorance, not in general, but of specific topics. As an engineer, if I didn't know this I wouldn't be employed. But knowing this doesn't make me intelligent. Being able to solve problems I've never seen before does. As a musician, it's not so important to know the difference between mean (average) and median (the middle number in any distribution). Musical intelligence usually manifests itself as creativity. I'm probably in the middle of the top half musically but as an engineer, I'm closer to two standard deviations above the mean.

Dennyf, kingofdogs1950 and MarkieMark like this.
  7. Marc Morfei

These days, that phenomenon (stupid people acting on unfounded opinions with no knowledge or information) Has become extreme.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  8. zipseattle

zipseattle Tele-Meister

A friend asked her daughter's teacher, who has been teaching for decades, how things have changed with students. She replied two things: behavior/self-discipline has deteriorated dramatically, and what is more ominous, inability to imagine and problem solve.

The overabundance and reliance on "screens" (phones, video games, etc.) to babysit, occupy, and entertain, has stunted kids' learning to use their imaginations, problem solve, and develop face to face cooperative and communications skills...

9. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

a business aquaintence of mine was killed years ago when he flipped his 4 wheeler over backwards going up a steep incline. Broke his neck IIRC.

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I was mountain biking on an unfamiliar trail. I started a downhill section that at the start looked manageable. Picking up speed to maintain angular momentum to stay upright I hit a rock (actually a few of them) and over the bar I went onto more rocks. I'm not saying I was smart to do that ... but ... I hit hard. My hip and shoulder hurt. My rib cage hurt. It was hard to catch my breath. My left leg and shoulder were bloody. But mountain bikers know no fear. I walked the bike over the rocks, got back on, and finished my ride. In pain but I finished it.

I took the wheels off my bike and put it back my the car. I took off my helmet. The left side was all crushed in. 'Nuf said.

12. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Well…

Earlier tonight, while out and about in Tokyo, I went to buy a beer in a convenience store.

I espied two cans of a product I like, at the far right of a shelf in the chiller. I tried to pick up the end can and couldn’t.

Because it was a reflection in a mirror…

Pax/
    Dean

Bruxist, Steve 78, KWal and 5 others like this.
  13. Caleb Cull

Caleb Cull TDPRI Member

I've been there. I was the only degree-educated employee at my last job managing a furniture workshop, including the MD. At my current place my first role was working at the factory with nothing but guys who quit school at 16. Now I work at head office where everyone is at least a university graduate.

The guys at the factory think we're just a bunch of useless limp-wristed suits, even though most of us have proven hands-on technical manufacturing skills. I wish I could say there's an equal and opposite prejudice, but the truth is our directors make a point of hiring apprentices and skill-hunting within the workforce and are routinely met with the attitude that people just want to show up, be told what lever to pull and collect their paycheque. The workers like to claim that they could run the place way better than us but then they always turn down the opportunity to try. They don't want to retrain, they don't want the responsibility, they don't want to have to think. They want to half-*ss their job as much as they can get away with, go to the pub at five and complain that the project managers are a bunch of incompetent w*nkers, while we stay in the office until seven thirty trying to figure out how to give them payrises at the end of the year.

I know how that sounds but it's literally true.

14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Ahh yes. "The world was better back in my day". One of my personal favs. Right up there with "treated his slaves well", and "it was ok to marry under age girls back then."

Gee. Let's completely disregard the scores of kids who didn't survive a neglected and/or abusive childhood. They don't matter. Because freedom and avocado toast, or whatever.

Bruxist and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

TGP

Bruxist, Dennyf, Tony474 and 2 others like this.
  17. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's always been this way, and it always will be. In lots of cases, I think we need to search-and-replace "stupid" with "ignorant".

Us and them
    And after all we're only ordinary men
    Me
    And you
    God only knows
    It's not what we would choose to do
    Forward he cried from the rear
    And the front rank died
    And the general sat
    And the lines on the map
    Moved from side to side
    Black
    And blue
    And who knows which is which and who is who
    Up
    And down
    And in the end it's only round 'n round
    Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
    The poster bearer cried
    "Listen son", said the man with the gun
    There's room for you inside

"I mean, they're not gonna kill ya
    So if you give 'em a quick short, sharp, shock
    They won't do it again. Dig it?
    I mean he get off lightly, 'cause I would've given him a thrashing
    I only hit him once! It was only a difference of opinion, but really
    I mean good manners don't cost nothing do they, eh?"

Down
    And out
    It can't be helped that there's a lot of it about
    With, without
    And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?
    Out of the way
    It's a busy day
    I've got things on my mind
    For the want of the price
    Of tea and a slice
    The old man died

Whatizitman likes this.
  18. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I think we need to search-and-replace "stupid" with "ignorant".

You can't fix stupid.

Deathray likes this.
  19. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Well you can, but then what are you going to do with all those bodies? Nice Ron White quote, anyway.

Deathray and nojazzhere like this.
  20. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking that you may not have read my full post. I'm completely
    in support of wearing helmets.

I started wearing a full face motorcycle helmet after seeing many that were gouged 360 degrees from being in crashes.

I don't ride a mountain bike, but always wear a helmet when riding my dual sport bicycle. My friends that mountain bike wear helmets that resemble moto x helmets, as well as padding. Yet they ride in shorts, which makes no sense to me.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.