The Dumbest Thing I've Ever Heard!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

At a local supermarket deli counter last week, I asked for 3/4 of a pound of sliced chicken. The person behind the counter had to get the manager to tell her how many ounces that was. Yeah, we’re screwed.

ce24 and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  2. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

“You know, everybody's ignorant, just on different subjects.” Will Rogers

DuckDodgers, mkdaws32, NewKid and 9 others like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

well, okay, comrade!

4. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

5. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Back when I was in college I was in an accounting class that was being taught by a doctoral student. (She was very good.)
    She asked for volunteers to participate in some research she was doing.
    Study participants had a choice of doing some simple accounting problems or playing a video game.
    You got paid to do the problems, no pay for playing the video game.
    I chose to do the simple problems but after about two hours the instructor had to stop me and said, "I didn't expect anyone to stick with the problems so I only have enough $$ to pay you for what you have already done." It was $60 in two hours. She told me that I was the only person who didn't choose the video game!, and that her research involved trying to explain why people make economic choices.
    That $60 sure came in handy!

Mark

6. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I saw an estimate that there were 4 million humans on earth in 10,000 BC. In year 0, there were 190 million. Today there are over 7 billion. If you figure half are of above average intelligence and half are below, that’s a lot of dumb people.
    I suspect there has always been the same percentage of idiots, but there are just so many more of us...I mean THEM. More of THEM than ever before.

Mad Kiwi, jackinjax, cat dude and 4 others like this.
  7. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

By definition, half are less intelligent than average, yes. ;)

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  8. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

My Dad once told me that when he was an intern the people around the hospital called them donorcycles.

9. Caleb Cull

Caleb Cull TDPRI Member

This is my favourite subject.

My favourite thing about it is the Dunning-Kruger effect, which roughly describes how the less competent a person is, the more competent they believe they are.

The explanation for this phenomenon is that the skill set necessary to do something well is the same skill set necessary to self-evaluate your performance.

In school in France we had compulsory philosophy classes, because thinking is a skill like any other. You can be taught how to think well, with higher degrees of nuance and complexity. It doesn't make sense that constructive thought is an innate skill. Part of raising a kid is teaching them how to think. Only for most people that process ends somewhere in their early or mid-teens and thereafter they decide they've got it all figured out.

This is why whenever I hear someone crow about how they chose to knuckle down to a job at 16 instead of "wasting their time" on all the free education there used to be over here, 9 times out of 10 that person turns out to be an imbecile. It's a disturbingly common occurrence in the north of England to hear someone brag about choosing money over education, usually to a room full of younger, wealthier people who went to university and drive nice cars and live in big houses while this guy is still paycheque-to-paycheque.

RomanS, Wildcard_35, Tony474 and 2 others like this.
  10. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

kafka, RomanS, Wildcard_35 and 5 others like this.
  11. Caleb Cull

Caleb Cull TDPRI Member

I'm not bagging on people who've worked all their lives through necessity, by the way. Or even on people who legitimately decided that education was not for them.

But when I encounter anti-intellectualism, I always ask what the pro- side of it is, and most commonly it's the paradigm which encourages people to see some kind of virtue in endless, unquestioning, ill-rewarded labour.

12. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For a while I drove a Bloodmoble a semi we took to industrial locations and donors would come on the trailer and donate blood. You have to show a valid ID to donate. A fellow came on at a rural factory and I asked him " Do you have an ID?" He replied "Bout what" I still have no idea if he was joking

13. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I get irritated when people draw an equivalency between education and so called street smart with statements like,
    “I don’t have much formal education but I’m plenty street smart.”
    First, there is no way to quantify street smart, second, there is no equivalency between that and a real education.
    So I wish would just admit that a person devoid of education is not as smart as someone who is formally educated and stop pretending that if you don’t have an education you can claim to be street smart and that relatively equal, because it’s not.
    Personally, I do not have any higher education and I regret it.

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Roommate in college worked at taco Bell with an older lady who had a bunch of kids. Doctor told her she couldn't have no more kids because her genes was tired.

kafka and Deathray like this.
  15. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Meister

Last year I was at a meeting where people were discussing the merits/problems of Brexit and Britain. One girl stood up in floods of tears and close to hysterics saying that now Britain had voted to leave the E.U, and too quote her " I will never get the chance to live, love or learn in Europe". It was met with a stunned silence till someone asked her why, " because we are leaving Europe and wont be allowed there!", she replied.
    The sounds of palms slapping foreheads sounded like a round of applause. !!!!!!!

16. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Stupid people in the UK often try to put down "elites" and "liberal intellectuals"... I take it as a compliment.

17. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

in the Netherlands we can great with: goede (good) morgen (morning), where morgen can be understood as tomorrow .
    i sometimes reply with, why just a good tomorrow, not today?

perception is everything, what you learn, from who, and what kind of other info you get from school and media

we have the CO2 problems and the government has decided we have to cut the maximum speed on the highway from 130 km to 100 km a hour .
    if you care about your children and grandchildren (humanity)you would suppose you are not going to wait until all the road signs are changed.
    but while i already try to keep that speed-limit 100km an hour, so much fly by.
    the same with using a smartphone while driving, when you see someone while texting go from one side off the road to the other.

sometimes i think all technologies and media makes us clueless :rolleyes:

koen and Bristlehound like this.
  18. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Steve 78 and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  19. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Maybe it’s time to quarantine some cities.

And I wonder which country you are referring to...

20. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

"Wheel of Fortune" maybe.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

2 Headed Goat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.