The Dude Abides

twangjeff

Tele-Afflicted
I just picked up the J Rockett DUDE pedal. I love all of J Rockett's stuff, this is the 4th or 5th overdrive I have gotten from them. What I was hoping to get was to take my clean Fender voiced amp and then punch it up to Robben Ford territory.

I plugged it in, and really didn't care for the sound. It sounded... oh my goodness... bad adjectives ahead... stringy? mushy? I don't know how to explain it.

Then I heard a live recording from when I played it with the full band and it sounded KILLER. It almost made me sound like the Diet Coke version of Robben. Ha!

Has anybody else experienced this where you don't like the sound of a pedal playing solo, but it sounds great in the mix?

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I just picked up the J Rockett DUDE pedal. I love all of J Rockett's stuff, this is the 4th or 5th overdrive I have gotten from them. What I was hoping to get was to take my clean Fender voiced amp and then punch it up to Robben Ford territory.

I plugged it in, and really didn't care for the sound. It sounded... oh my goodness... bad adjectives ahead... stringy? mushy? I don't know how to explain it.

Then I heard a live recording from when I played it with the full band and it sounded KILLER. It almost made me sound like the Diet Coke version of Robben. Ha!

Has anybody else experienced this where you don't like the sound of a pedal playing solo, but it sounds great in the mix?
Had amps that did the opposite…

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
My ES guitar through a Twin sound pretty mediocre until you put it in front of a band. It is very string-y and I like that. Mucho definition with 57 classics.

I have a Rockett Blue Note, an excellent pedal. There are no bad settings on it.. Also have the Alien Echo and outside of a slight volume drop it is also a solid pedal. I would like to pick up one of their Masterbuilt overdrives just to have sometime. But for gigs I generally only run straight into the amp as much as possible.

Jbnaxx

Tele-Holic
I recently got The Dude as well. I am playing it into a Quilter SuperBlock US and it is absolutely gorgeous to my ears. That style of dirt suits the Quilter nicely. It really sings with an Archer Icon set fairly clean it front of it. I have never been disappointed with a J Rockett pedal.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I love the Dude. When I have to plug into a clean amp and need a "dirty channel" for rock n roll, the Dude is what I use. (I like amp dirt, and my Hot Cat and Roland Blues Cube Artist provide most of it). But I keep the dude around because, for going into a clean amp, I haven't found anything better (I've owned probably 100 overdrives over years) than the Dude for the sound I want (think David Grissom).

The Dude sounds great into blackface amps, I sometimes use it with my PRRI.

Glen W

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The Dude is the most touch-sensitive drive pedal I’ve experienced. Seems over the top to me at first, then I remember to lighten my attack and my old Deluxe Reverb or PR can go from clean to beast in an instant.

With the Deep control set at noon-ish, amp cabs seem to get bigger with the resulting thump.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
The Dude is the most touch-sensitive drive pedal I’ve experienced.

It’s interesting how we all perceive things differently. I found The Dude to be very compressed, both in response to picking dynamics, and when rolling back the guitar volume. Very nice pedal indeed, but it wouldn’t be high on my list of dynamic, touch-sensitive pedals.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
With such opposing viewpoints in this thread, I’m wondering if anyone else can comment on how this pedal sounds into a clean blackface amplifier at home volumes.

I’m hoping it sounds like this demo.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I’m hoping it sounds like this demo.

I had that pedal and played with it through a '59 Bassman LTD at home volumes and I recall it sounding similar to this video. I remember liking it because you could really tailor it to the guitar/amp combination. I moved on to an Xotic Soul Driven, but no complaints about that pedal - its great.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I have something more to add now...

Recently got a new amp- a Swart AST. The AST is very mid-focused (it is a tweaked 5E3). I do NOT like the Dude at all with this amp. It's like the mids of the pedal + the mids of the amp = way too many mids. Sounds very congested. So there's a "what amp?" component to the formula. I LOVED the mids-heavy Dude with my mid-scooped PRRI, it was AWESOME in fact... but don't like it with an UN-mids-scooped amp.

The Dude can kinda turn a blackface fender sound into a tweed or Marshall, but as Engineer Scotty would say "you gotta' have the right tool for the job!"