1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The DRRI don't cut it

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Leon Grizzard, May 18, 2014.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

NiceTele, don't tell me you are driving a hybrid vehicle, too, instead of one of those fire-breathing Holden cars? Just kidding....the modeling stuff is getting better and better, no doubt.

2. pmcgee

pmcgee Tele-Meister

Leon I think you already have what you are looking for.That being the Twin.. They are a bit heavy but it is worth toting it around. I have tried the DRRI reissue and found it fell a bit short of clean power on a lot of stages. You are also at the mercy of the bass player and the drummer who a lot of times get louder as the show goes on.
    It is frustrating to play live and not be able to hear yourself the way you want to..I found the DRRI after changing tubes and trying a couple of different speakers and colder biasing the end result was basically the same.
    I like to play clean sound most of the time. No breakup at all. A lot of guys like the DRRI for the very reason that it gets very warm sounding and starts to break up at stage volume. And they do sound really good at that volume and louder. So depends on the person.
    Someone mentioned putting the amp through the monitors. Yes that will do it alright.. Personally I do not like the tone of my amp through my monitor at least most times. So I try to avoid it. If the other guys in the band want to hear my guitar in their monitor go for it.
    I had a hernia operation last year,(not from carrying the Twin LOL)and I am 60 years old, and still haul the Twin around.. It is worth it to me. And I can always get help with it..When you are my age there is always someone younger in the band than I am.
    Keep the Twin and the DRRI for smaller gigs. You got the best now. IMHO

3. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I don't think so. You may get some special effects by running two vibrato/tremolo effects not synchroniced, maybe with different speeds. That could be fun, but I never tried (I don't use the effects much anyway).
    What you get by playing two amps is more spread - similar to your twin, when you put them close together or even more spacious if you set them up with some distance.
    Bill Frisell always uses two amps and he always has that impression of space in his sound. I think he uses a digital reverb to split the signal but you can also just daisy-chain them. Run the guitar to the channel you want to use and then a cable from the second input of the same channel to the second amp. You can even add more amps if you please.
    You may run into hum problems (it never happened to me) which can be solved by using a splitter instead of daisy chaining. Just try it with your deluxe and your twin and you'll know :).

4. chris m.

Way higher in the thread I think we solved it at lowest possible cost to the OP. Split the Twin into a head and cabinet. Done. You get the exact sound you want and divide the weight into two manageable loads.

Gee, come to think of it, maybe I should start keeping my eye out for a Twin so I can do that, too!

5. pmcgee

pmcgee Tele-Meister

6. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. You can cover a lot of ground with this amp and you won't ruin your back moving it.

7. chris m.

Don't cut her up! Keep the original enclosure, buy pre-built cabinets for head and speakers. Just transplant her over and you can put her back to original vintage spec anytime you want to.

8. pmcgee

pmcgee Tele-Meister

Good to know..I did not know you could buy those pre built.. Thanks for the info..Phil

9. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I had that same concern about the Twin. Didn't know there were ready-mades. Couldn't cut up my Twin.

10. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

11. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

Funny, I was at a jam I've been attending for years last night and noticed that the old Peavey bass amp now had a head sitting on it. A closer look revealed the amp had been taken out of it and it was just serving as a speaker cab - no blocking needed!

12. Leon Grizzard

Those ready-mades are expensive; not necessarily pricey, but expensive.

Although if you just got the head cab and used the original enclosure that wouldn't be too bad.

13. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy TDPRI Member

Quilter 2x10"... seriously.

Great pricing, loud as all heck and the chime is there. Seriously.

Give it a shot and if you don't like it, send it back to them at basically zero cost to you. You can't lose.

14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If you can find one a silverface Showman Reverb head cab is all you need. If your real lucky you might get the whole head pretty cheap.

15. Leon Grizzard

I did look at Quilters some months back, just out of curiosity. Seems like good amps but I was thinking about my present needs; just looking.

And what I did last week was buy a used Custom Vibrolux Reverb. I shipped the chassis off to Wally Von Lubbock for mods. It should hit town tomorrow and we'll see.

16. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

GB said just what I was thinking. You could get an AB box and plug C80 and the DRRI in to A and B of the pedal. Run the signal in from the guitar and crank the babies up.
    I know that with the Cube 80 you have a lot of clean headroom.
    One other thing is you could put one amp on either side of the stage and this will greatly open the sound.

If it were me, I would try this first, then I would go for the Mustang IV.
    I would go for the Mustang IV anyway, but this is an easy cheap and effective way to answer your problem.

You might try the Cube with the Twin using this too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.