1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The DRRI don't cut it

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Leon Grizzard, May 18, 2014.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

+OT and choke
    +tone stack mod for ch2
    +decent tubies
    +Celestion Gold
    ++++++

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

An amp I've thought about building is a DR with bigger iron. I've got a Twin Reverb OT laying around with a pair of 6L6s that's right for an 8 ohm speaker then a Super Reverb PT. With a tube rectifier you'd have a few options or just slap in an SS one.
    With a JBL or EV type speaker it'd be a pretty clean half a Twin type thing.

Now I'm not the first one to think of that. Pete Anderson used a DR set up sort'a that way. (when he still played tube amps) I beilive Tube Tone builds one now, or Muchxs could build one in about 15 minutes with a few interesting twists.

3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

How clean can/will the HRDR do VS the DR/DRRI? Out gigging I mean.

A friend in Nashville had one I helped him with some speaker swaps. A G12-80 sounded awesome both clean and driven, but did not hear it out played clean. In the end that speaker was too loud when it sounded best.
    And something else wound in living in there, forget what it was, but IIRC it was an AMPEG Vintage 12/Eminence. I still have one of those left an it is a great speaker to my ears.

5. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I had a Hot Rod Deluxe some years back, but it didn't do it for me. It somehow seemed mushy sounding; not as sparkley as I was looking for. I also did not like the controls on the top; too hard to see onstage.

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What power tubes in your DRRI? You might consider JJ 6V6s.

A Badcat Unleash might be a workable solution for you too, especially if the efficient speaker in your DRRI already handles over 100 watts.

7. T Prior

Well for my taste, cleaner than both a PRRI or a DRRI , keep in mind it has a stronger back end than both of those. rated at 40 watts...so it comes with more iron.

Some folks love em', some folks maybe don't love them but find them more than adequate, which they are , and some folks hate em'. I find mine to be quite acceptable, probably not the best but certainly it is a pretty strong amp for moderate volume without breakup. Of course speakers and tubes can also assist...I have owned two...I never swapped speakers but I did go thru the tube swap thing. I tried using the first one I owned for double duty Telecaster and Pedal Steel, it does not have enough clean gain for Pedal Steel and they do not handle front pup chords all that well either..reasonable. When I had the REAL PR's and DR's ( not RI's) they didn't handle front pup chords or clean gain as well. . The HR Deluxe, in my opinion, has more clean knob to offer. It can be a bit bright but that can be tamed. I find them to be good work horses, like I said earlier, it doesn't come with any bragging rights but it can cut a gig !

I did move the first one in favor of a HR Deville, and that solved the "extra" clean gain that I was seeking. Still own that and a 2nd HR Deluxe which I use fairly often for guitar only. used at $300 or $350 they are really hard to beat.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With a 12AY7 in V1 in my experience they make a very good gigging amp.

9. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

MusicMan RD50, the one with 1X12. Lighter than a Twin, nearly as loud and potentially as clean.

10. Leon Grizzard

I have the stock tubes and an Eminence GB128, rated 50 watts.

I don't remember ever seeing any MusicMan amps on the Austin Craigslist. I could have missed them or not remembered since I haven't had my eye out for one. I'm not under any huge pressure to get an new amp since I do have the Twin. So far none of the Vibrolux sellers have responded, so I may be looking for a while. Is asking about an amp's age or history an affront?

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

As the potential buyer I think you can ask just about anything except maybe what the seller paid for it. You can ask that too, I suppose, just don't expect to get an answer. Lots of sellers won't have answers or will just say that it is available "as is", but no harm no foul in asking. For me, if I can plug it in and it sounds good that is usually all I need to know....and whatever they say I have to take with a big fat grain of salt anyway.

12. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Actually it would be somewhat costly. To do it right and proper would take a new PT and OT.

Better to just get an amp that is already 40 Watts.

13. T Prior

for about $300! ( used of course )

14. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I love my stock custom vibrolux for the way it overdrives but is has very little headroom. The guy who sold it to me plays a deluxe reverb and he says it has more headroom.
    I'd use the twin you already have for maximum clean headroom.
    If you wanna use a second amp with the deluxe you can just run a chord from the second input to the next amp I think.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  15. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Another idea for the OP: Something like a 50 watts 1x12" Combo. For example I had a Mesa Boogie Caliber 50 for years and it never ran out of headroom. I think there was a red knob fender ("Super 60"?) in the 80s which is a real sleeper and has a nice clean tone and is very affordable. Something like that, there may be more brands which have amps of that kind. You could always run it together with your Deluxe if you need more coverage, especially as you are playing without mic. Heck, you could also just add more deluxes - like Frisell who uses 2 DRRIs.

16. Leon Grizzard

How well does it work to run reverb or vibrato on two amps at the same time? Do they interfere with each other in some way?

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Leon, it is always interesting to run multiple 'ear candy' tricks...like two tremolo/vibrato amps at once. It is hard to get the two perfectly synchronized, adn so there will tiems that the signals will coincide in such a way so as to perhaps do some phase cancellation...but thta is part of the ear candy, ime.
    Better than two vibe/term things going on at once, I find it immensely effective to run a tremolo---whihc any Fender amp has except for some of hte 6G amps which actually have a sort of phase/vibrato thing going on...vibrato being pitch variation while tremolo is volume variation....in tandem with a rotating speaker thing. That effect is magnificently dimensional and exciting to the ear. I first discovered this when I owned a Maestro Rover and ran it in tandem with a Fender trem amp. The Maestro Rover is what David Gilmour of Pink Floyd used for a long time. He now has a custom built rotating speaker affair.
    I now have a Baldwin rotating sepaker cab that I can run off of a speaker out...the amp was not with the BAldwin when I got it. Lots of fun....big candy in the ear.

Re: teh Blues and HR Deluxe/Deville amps. One just left after a cleaning, general service and a change of V1 to a 12AY7 and a new 12AX7 to replace the Chinese V2.....big improvements. The 12AY7 makes these amps usable imho. I still don't care for the construction methods or the solid state reverb...but for the price point, FEnder built the best thing they could. These amps use the 5F6A circuit as a platform, and that preamp is hotter than the BF/SF tyep of preamp. IF one is loking for BF/SF sparkly cleans and tube reverb, the Blues/HR's don't do it, ime. Leon is looking for trem/vibrato, so these amps aren't really what he is looking for anyway, as I understand it.
    Leon, I hope the Craigslist sellers get back to you on the CVR. Ime, that amp can be what you need it to be....with just a little bit of help to get the circuit back toward the 6G16 Vibroverb. STrange...you can't get them to sell to you down there, and around here noone can get anyone to buy off of the C-list????

18. Leon Grizzard

I could just pop up to Lubbock.

19. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

At my age (66) I've been thinking seriously about switching my Twin over to one of these with maybe a 1X12 cab.

[​IMG]

20. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Having used and worked on a lot of amps in my time, I would say from experience that if you buy an amp then have to spend your time and money modifying it to get some kind of desirable tone, then you got the wrong amp!

The more I look at amps I need, the more I am attracted to a Mustang 3 or 4.. or even the 5 head with a 1x12 and a 2x12 cabinet to cover all situations. The tones are so close to the real tube amps they emulate that I can't ignore them, plus the advantage of having your desired tone at low or higher volumes- and that's from an old analogue tube type of guy:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.