The Drive of Youth, the Indifference of Age

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Get more sleep, immerse yourself in art, and cut out the sugar. Un-plug the tv forever, if you haven't aready.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    CajunJ and J. Bonkosky like this.
  2. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Not much of a TV-watcher. I have a 35" CRT in my living room that hasn't even been plugged in for probably a decade.

I do spend an inordinate amount of time on the Internet, which is something I'm getting better about. The key to that is being able to stop every 15-20 minutes and ask myself "Is this useful or a waste of time?". Usually it is useful, but I've also got to close about 5 or 6 tabs.

3. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I think the trick is to always try new things. I have many diverse interests, so I'm always learning something. Just going to work, eating and sleeping is a miserable existence.

When you're a kid you also have quite a bit of free time to devote to your interests, so you tend to excel.

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you need some hand painted pedals.

aging_rocker likes this.
  5. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

I'm 56. I used to have similar drive. I never had the energy you did to learn guitar, etc. but I worked hard. It is a blessing in and of itself. The rememberance of youth lost. Now, when I find myself unsatisfied with whatever exploit I'm trying to accomplish, I settle back in to my true loves. Listening to music, cooking... etc. It reminds me that I do have passion for things and those that I am not truly passionate about anymore I discard. Sounds like an easy task, but it's not. I'm still learning every day about myself.

6. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

No disrespect, but since you ask, here's a thought. You probably haven't had a proper physical for ages. Go see your doc. Explain you've run out of fire. After you get the standard line, you're going to be directed to get a blood test done. While you're at it, hint that you'd like your testosterone checked.

lmjmitchell and swervinbob like this.
  7. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

What do you do for a living and is it physically and/or mentally stressful?

Work, responsibility, family, etc. can be creative killers in middle age. I'm single, no kids...not even a pet anymore so my actual responsibilities are minimal. But...I have a mentally very high stress and taxing job, I direct several hours of live TV each day in a very disorganized environment. At work, mentally I could play guitar, bass, whatever all day...then I get home & I'm not necessarily physically wiped up, but mentally I am. Makes it really hard to create, since work has taken all of that out of me already. Saturday & Sunday are my days when I can get that kind of stuff done. Occasionally I can at night after work, but it's the exception to the rule.

If you have a stressful job...or a boring job...that's a creative killer when you get free time. The stressful job because your body really needs the rest, the boring...well it's boring. But a boring, low stress job is easier to overcome, you just need a kickstart.

I'm not really any less creative than I was decades ago or less interested in music & I think most of us are still that way. It's just those freakin' responsibilities that we have now that we didn't in our preteens, teens & 20's that can wear you out physically and mentally.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Coffeemutt and CajunJ like this.
  8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

If you don’t lift, start lifting. Something about the blood running to all of my muscles and body wakes everything up for me. It might be that it gets the testosterone going also.

9. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

My experience has been somewhat the opposite.

Yes, when I was young, I was trying to experience everything, and make living playing music.

When I realized that it was going to be a lot harder than I imagined, I decided to finish college and find some sort of work to actually support myself... but, keep music as a side job; still hoping that things might evolve into being a full-time musician.

Well, it kind of worked for many years.

Indifference?

Now, 45 years later, I find that I'm more driven to keep performing.

I feel the clock ticking... and that time is running out. So, I want to perform as much as possible.

Drive.

superjam144 likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Your post reminded me of this song. While it's coming from the position of a young twenty-something, I think it has greater application to someone your age. (and older) Something to do with "mid-life ennui".
    Welcome to the club. ;)

11. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

+1

Eat meat. Do squats. Get off the internet. Go outside. Journal.

swervinbob likes this.
  12. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Now I realize I was a complete slacker as a kid. Thanks for that.

superjam144 likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Onward we march in our quest to distinguish ourselves from those undriven by ambition, all the while not knowing we are going in the wrong direction...

[​IMG]

superjam144 likes this.
  14. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Known fact.

Coffeemutt and swervinbob like this.
  15. superjam144

Hahaha me 2.

16. superjam144

Walking in the morning might help also.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Do something you've never done before, or something people have told you you can't do, or you yourself thought you couldn't do.

18. superjam144

The great tomo fugita advises to listen to music. Something new that challenges you. Then maybe incorporate it or learn something from that album.

Setting aside time to just listen to music is so valuable.

19. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

I have to agree with the Low T thing. This already happened to me about 10 years ago. Had some blood work done and the doc told me I have Low T. Yeah, it really takes all the spunk out of your drive for things. The upside is, heh, I'm no longer a slave to the mighty vagina! You spend your whole life chasing after it, and then one day...you just don't. You can withhold all of the vaginal access you like. Won't bother me at all. I'm FREE!!!

superjam144 likes this.
  20. superjam144

I see guys once in a while posting tracks or videos to twanger central. Start recording little tracks and posting. It's fun and feels good to hear feedback. I'll throw a video on there every few months noone expects hendrix or srv.

Asatkat is older than you and still seems to throw tracks up there that really kick ass. I get into the tone. It's just fun getting a nice tone and sharing your sound. Who cares if you aren't van halen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.