The Drive of Youth, the Indifference of Age

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Jun 12, 2021.

1. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As a kid (in the 1980s):

I wanted to compete in BMX racing, but I didn't have a lightweight BMX bike and all the gear. Instead, I had a heavy Schwinn Stingray. So I rode the eff out of it and conditioned myself so that I could keep up with the BMX kids on open courses. I wished I had a *real* bike so I could enter official races. Oh, how I dreamt of the possibilities!

I wanted to learn how to program computers. So I split wood and cleaned horse pens for $$, and bought an obsolete Commodore 16K used. I learned how to program the eff out of it and could talk intelligently about programming with the Atari, Amiga and Apple kids. I always wished I had a color display, more clock speed, more memory, some storage device (instead of pen && paper) and more *computer*, like everyone else. Most of all, I wanted a better programming language to be available to me. Oh, how I dreamt of the possibilities!

I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. Again, I split wood and did yard work until I could buy a neighbor's 1960s Teisco rebrand. It was a real POS. I put together an amplifier out of basket case parts. I took that guitar and amp and played the eff out of them and got to where I could hang with all the *real* players around me. I always wished I had a real guitar and a real amp. Oh, how I dreamt of the possibilities!

As a guitar player I experimented with multitrack recording, using several boomboxes and patch cables that I made out of busted headphone cables and such. I always wished I had a 4-track or similar multitrack recorder that would make everything easy. Oh, how I dreamt of the possibilities!

Key point: Things were hard, but it was never a barrier in my eyes. I just worked harder and got what I wanted out of it. Adapt and overcome!

Now I'm in my 40s. I have an adult-sized hybrid bike that probably weighs less than my Stingray did. I have something like a dozen guitars, all of them awesome compared to the Teisco. I have many amps, some of them historically iconic. I have probably 10 computers, all of them with insane cpu/mem/storage/hd display and an amazing level of everything better than the Commodore of old. I can use any programming language I want. Also, computers now can do high fidelity recording with unlimited tracks and super easy editing.

Key point: The barriers are gone! It's all easy now! My 12-year old self is now vindicated! I am now the master of my creative destiny!

But I have no creative energy, no drive, and little to no 'eff' for exploiting the things I can do now. Things that I so pined for then. I've struggled with this since my 30s. I don't know when things changed, or why, but I'm 'old' now. I don't do anything. I don't have that creative spark like I used to. I'm boring.

Some people seem to have avoided this. They retained that creative spark and drive from their youth throughout their lifespan.

How do they do that, or how do they keep from losing it all? Has anyone ever recovered from being 'boring'?

2. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Low T.

Also there comes a point where the brain slows down in the “developing new skills” department.

nojazzhere, P Thought and Boreas like this.
  3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, we've been given the wings to fly.

..but we really don't know how to be birds..o_O:D

4. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

The barriers are what are needed for your mind to push back on. The limits paint you into a corner where you are forced to creatively think your way out. Now that you’ve some disposable income and tech has commoditized the tools used to record, anything is possible and nothing is scarier than a blank canvas with an unlimited palette.

Try self imposing restrictions on yourself. A hard and fast timeline is the best way to light a fire under one’s own behind. If not using time as a restriction, limit your tools. I’ve gotten into making electronic music using Ableton Live where all sonic possibilities are within reach but it’s all so overwhelming. All that choice can be debilitating because since everything is possible, seemingly nothing is.

get some accountability going with other creatives. Post it up on social media if you do that, and generate some kinda buzz that scares you in to finishing

and by finishing, don’t think it needs to be a masterpiece. It just needs to be done. creativity is a work in progress and once your initial spark hits again, it’ll likely come more frequently. Fail upwards.

If you haven’t surmised by now, I’m writing this more for me than for you as a reminder that we all can get in a season of burn out only to find our muse once more to create.

Frontier9 likes this.
  5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sounds like your interests were pretty diverse during the period that you’re describing. Maybe it’s time to add a whole new hobby. When was the last time you tried doing something that you have almost no experience at?

6. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

I recommend microdosing psilocybin. Seriously.

7. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

From what I have been reading, it has great potential for psychological well-being. Unfortunately, testing is very difficult due to its federal drug classification. Hopefully this will change as cannabis did.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You've got the highway forty blues.

9. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

Embrace it.

I spent my 20's in a Hacienda fuelled haze, my 30's getting over my 20's and started thoroughly enjoying myself in my 40's.

And then I got married. :)

Stop worrying. None of it is important.
    Find a nice person, a nice place and a nice hobby.

Get on the streets, stay political.
    Embrace inappropriate hairstyles, while you still have hair.
    Wear offensive clothing.
    Buy an Ibanez.

And most importantly, be you.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  10. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Do you listen to a lot of Jazz? There's a very good Jazz radio station around here called KCSM. You can stream it. They play so much great music. I listen to it all the time. I'm not a very good jazz player, but listening to it inspires me when I go to rehearsals and gigs

superjam144 and CajunJ like this.
  11. cometazzi

[​IMG]

Like this? I've had this since 1996.

Toadtele likes this.
  12. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

Yep, spot on.

RG's balance on your knee perfectly during an afternoon snooze.

kingofdogs1950 and Telecaster88 like this.
  13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't be running with that... it looks kinda sharp..o_O:lol:

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Problems/necessities are the mother of invention. What do you need...what are your problems? Btw 40 ain't nothing...dream of the possibilities. What sparks your curiosity?

15. cometazzi

What do you mean?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wasted time and money too;
    Squandered youth in search of truth.
    But in the end I had to lose,
    Lord above, I've paid my dues.
    Got the Highway Forty blues.

nojazzhere and superjam144 like this.
  17. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

I recommend that you figure it out quickly. Soon you’ll be fifty and you’ll see that shot clock running out maybe faster than you can make it to the other side of the court.
    Maybe ask yourself what you really think you’ll be regretting on your death bed and make sure it doesn’t happen.

Toadtele, richiek65 and CajunJ like this.
  18. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Youth is wasted on the young and wisdom is wasted on the old.

nojazzhere and aging_rocker like this.
  19. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Go play in a band. It is helping me to strip all the equipment gathering BS away and focus on only what I need. and to be honest you needs become basic. For me it’s an amp, guitar, and a tuner pedal. Anything more is useless and extra weight I have to carry. And as far as being boring goes. Once you get playing and it all gels that feeling vanishes real fast. Just remember to have fun.

Flaneur and northernguitar like this.
  20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a sexagenarian and think I just never got boring even though kids and better work stopped the times I played and travelled up to months per year. Recovered had only been addressing a hard run of days or events and occasional injuries.

Maybe I got boring for some friends and former friends who never had kids or who are a bit too extreme in what they do but in the 6th decade it's not looking good for some of them. I mean the lack of family and assets.

Speaking for the problem, it's 7:42 on a perfect Sunday AM with most I know not up or ready for some hard play before I have to do work later.

@cometazzi go get on that bike before the heat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.