1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The dreaded bass solo

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by w3stie, Jul 10, 2011.

1. pdxjoel

pdxjoel Tele-Holic

In the right hands, bass can move the soul and ears in a way nothing else can.

Victor Wooten:

And he's a damned nice guy on top of it all.

Richard Bona:

Love his voice - so passionate, so much texture, so quintessentially African.

2. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Theres the joke about the anthropologist who goes into a remote area in New Guinea...goes into a village...there are drums going constantly in the background...he asked one of the village elders what was going on and the elder say things are good as long as the drums kept playing...the drums went on...for days...and then abruptly stopped...the elder then said to the anthrpologist ..."now its bad..." the anthropologist asked why.

The elder said " Time for the Bass solo"

3. bargeon

bargeon TDPRI Member

I'd love to see bass solos disappear, especially from jazz. (Note: Jazz is my one, true and abiding musical love). The longer ones are the worst. 2-bars, 4 max.

Of course there are exceptions. But they are rare, which only proves the rule.

But another + on the comment about the player that swithces up and keeps the groove. Isn't that where we live?

The middle ground for me (and just about every audience in the world) is the spot where the bass kicks in with a tight, solid groove and then kicks it around with the drummer or or the lead (sax, guitar, whatever). It _always_ gets a response and IMO shows off the role, value and downright fun of the instrument.

4. psychetelec

psychetelec Tele-Holic

My wife LOVES to tell that joke.

5. kec!

kec! Tele-Holic

If a solo moves me and fits the song I like it. If it doesn't I don't like it. The same can be said for drum solos, guitar solos, piano solos, sax solos, pan flute solos, etc...

6. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

My attention span must be getting shorter as I grow older, because I'm bored to tears if the solo on any instrument lasts more than about two "chorus'". I figure if you can't say it by then, you ain't gonna.

Also, I always thought the clapping at the end of the long solos was an unconsious sigh of relief that the solo was over.

7. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

As long as a player of ANY instrument can tastefully be featured (and be melodic)...I have no complaints.But alot of solos usually mean little feel and mostly mechanics.

8. gypsymoth

gypsymoth Tele-Meister

what is interesting is if you compare the notes on a piano with those available on a bass or guitar, why would anyone say you need a few of those tinkle notes to do a solo?
    if you include extended ranges basses, the "guitar only" bit gets as silly as the twice appearing joke.

http://www.myspace.com/gmothmusic/music/songs/mujer-malvada-44488646

if you use an eight string (4 with octave strings) like this link .... like it or not, by the slide solo at the end (heck, the intro bit), the arguement against bass (forget the playing if you choose) being a solo instrument is pretty much out the window.

9. gypsymoth

gypsymoth Tele-Meister

10. bargeon

bargeon TDPRI Member

Good one :D

11. kec!

kec! Tele-Holic

12. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Last week I was front row center at a Bela Fleck and the Flecktones show (Montreal Jazz Fest).
    Victor Wooten bass solos made up about 30% of the 2 hour show.

It wasn't enough. Good bass is good, emotional bass is great.

(but I like Cliff Burton's Anesthesia, so what do I know?)

13. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Alas! They were done on keyboard.

I love solos...I'm not a huge fan of the "solo solo," as I'd rather hear a player interact with what's around him, but then again, I do a bunch of solo gigs which are all instrumental, so I'd be a hypocrite if I said I didn't like that too.

Personally, I'd much rather listen to a good musician make a statement with his instrument than some guy sing a song. Often, words get in the way for me. Let me decide what it's about.

14. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

Why I started playing:

Note: solo doesn't start until about 2:30.

15. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Ask Ray Brown...

16. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thank you for what will be, barring any crazy occurrences, the coolest 8 minutes and 23 seconds of my day.

17. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

Yeah, especially on bass.

18. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

The short bass solo in Paul Simon's You Can Call Me Al is pure genius.
    the studio mix has the back half of the solo reversed...they flipped the tape or cut and pasted (if it was mixed digitally) the first half, then reversed it as it played back into the song.

19. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

I don't mind the occasional guitar solo if tastefully done, but most of them are not.

/ Tony

Oh, bass! Well, same thing...

20. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I was thinking about that one as well. In fact I can make a lot of exceptions. The bass playing of Cameron Undy (Directions in Groove) comes to mind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.