The downside of self-employment...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 27, 2014.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I only look at the upside. You're never really unemployed. Either you're taking some time off or business is down a bit but you're still in business so you're not unemployed.

It doesn't help the bank account much but it's confidence building and helps to avoid having to answer embarrassing questions. :D

2. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Saw a sign on the wall in the office of a small business......

"The only thing more overrated than natural childbirth is the joy of owning your own business."

3. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

LOL
    This reminds me of a story I read in a running magazine, 30 something small town guy, who did track in H.S./College ran a 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week back in the early'70s before every one was out and about. People kept asking him what he was doing so he told the he was "training for the Olympics". It got silly, funds were raised, time off work granted, he ended up being "injured" so he "couldn't go to the trials". He kept running and even in his 60's people kept asking him "going to the Olympics"? HE found they had put the $$ in escrow so he did the Senior Games, and won a medal. :rolleyes:

AS for the OP I see your problem, you failed to promise "Best Practices", everyone is all about "Best Practices" now, probably tripped them up.."Whoah, nothing in here about "BP" we better "back off", "re think", and "revisit"."

4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

When you are self-employed , you can change direction faster than large companies can call meetings .
    You are all of it , so you must work the long hours and rebids , etc. instead of that being delegated to others .
    The current climate is making it more difficult for the small , self-employed business to stay viable and it ain't getting better .

5. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I know one guy who owns his own business and he is constantly working his face off, but he loves the work so much he's always happy despite the bad clients that come through.

I know another guy who owns his own business, and he is also constantly working his face off, but he's deep in the hole and near retirement, and constantly stressing.

I wish there was some way to figure the odds of getting to one or the other of those situations (i.e. preferring the hard work + happiness over the stress), but I'm guessing it's different for everybody and different for every industry? If there was a foolproof plan all us fools would be doing it by now maybe.

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe they confused you Vision Statement with you Mission Statement. Also be sure your Associates are Engaged.

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It truly is a Dilbert world out there. I love the strip, I see ALL my employers past and present, almost every day there. My wife simply can't read it--too realistic to her, and as such, depressing. I tell her to adopt the mantra of a good friend of ours--"I pretend to work, and they pretend to run a business, and pretend to pay me." It's a big freaking joke, if you take it too seriously, you'll crash from stress.

I was reminded of this just last week when I was sitting at a red light in my company vehicle, and was lightly tapped in the rear by another car whose driver apparently has issues with depth perception. No injuries, no damage beyond a little 2" square marring of the paint on my rear bumper, which I welcome as some practice for my guitar buffing skills.

The cops came by, gave me this "are you kidding" look, informed me that the beat car that would have to write the report was busy on a burglary-suspect-holed-up-in-building call, and that it would take "a few minutes" for someone else to get there. I was able to get him to say that if it were him, and that "most people in this kind of incident simply exchange insurance information and stop blocking the intersection"

I dutifully called my manager who put me in touch with the contract bozos who handle such things for my company.

"Fine", says the first guy, "we'll need to make the drug test determination first. Company policy dictates that you must report for a drug test within 2 hours of any qualifying incident."

I informed him I was on my way out of town to meet with a client who's worth over three quarters of a million dollars to our company, and hadn't built in a two-hour delay into my trip. His response,' "sorry, I don't make the rules".

So we went into the excruciating details of this inane little exercise. About a 45 minute query with questions like, "was anyone hurt?", then four questions later, "did anyone suffer injuries that incurred more than $1,000 dollars of medical treatment?" (The silence that followed this question produced the interviewer's response 'yeah, I know, I don't write 'em, I just have to ask em" ")

Seems that since I was not on a cell phone or texting at the time, was at a dead stop, all the witnesses had driven away when the light turned green, and other factors, I was off the hook for a drug test. But apparently it was a close-run thing. DUUUUHHH!

But it took a minor inquisition to get this established, and a total waste of about 45 minutes, which did consume all the cushion time I'd built into my trip.

If I'd had to go for the test, I would have had to completely blown off the large client, who asked for some consultation on an urgent matter, for which I was making a special trip.

And then these people want me to take their business seriously? C'mon!

8. 67TeleNut

67TeleNut Tele-Meister

Being self employed to people who are not.

A job is not guaranteed to the self employed, anymore so than to a corporate employee.

When you are self employed, you never get to be "off". You are always worried about the business.

And, when the ***** hits the fan, or business drops, you are the one who has to decide who gets paid, and who doesn't. Then you have to deal with those who don't get paid.

If I could find a job I could enjoy, and was qualified for, at a good company, I would sell my business tomorrow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.