The Double Bound Telecaster Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by TeleGeir, May 5, 2003.

1. rokett

rokett Tele-Meister

Ok, I'm in :lol:

Attached Files:

2. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Heads Up

If you were ever thinking about getting a new double bound Fender 62, now looks like this is your last chance. Classic sunburst or sophisticated tuxedo black are all that's left with pricing that's more like 5-6 years ago, IIRC

Last call for a 62?

3. eichaan

eichaan Tele-Holic

Count me in...I just picked up an XV-640 double bound Tele from Xaviere. In recent months I thought my guitar collection was getting stale, and I also found it difficult to play my Agile AL-3000 since having back surgery (it is a good guitar, but HEAVY). When I saw the announcement of these new guitars right after Christmas, my G.A.S. kicked into overdrive! Within days I had sold the Agile and one other guitar (my Martin Stinger) and used the proceeds to pay for the Xaviere.

The guitar arrived the other day, and I have been pretty impressed so far! Depending on one's outlook on life, you can either think of this as a "what do you expect for $169" guitar or as a "I can't believe this only costs $169". I am about 80% in the latter camp. This is a solid, well made guitar. The body is resonant and lightweight (about 6.7 lbs), the neck (though a bit thin for my tastes) is straight and easy to play. And as an added bonus, it is rather flamey!

The Xaviere arrived with pretty light gauge strings, so I changed it over to .10's and was pretty impressed by the intonation. With fresh, stretched strings, EVERY string intonated perfectly using the 12th fret harmonic v. 12th fret note test. The action is super low with no buzzing at all. In fact, with the wide, flat, thin neck, you can build up quite a bit of speed on this thing. The thinness of the neck and the very narrow frets do make fretting "cowboy chords" a bit awkward at first, but after a few minutes my hands get used to it.

There are definitely some imperfections--several finish blemishes (black spots under the clearcoat) but they are only visible up close, and some are in very hidden places (next to the neck pocket on the upper cutaway, for instance) are present, and when I changed the strings all the ferrules fell out. But the pickups sound nice, the guitar is pretty and easy to play, and to me the pluses outweigh the minuses.

My guitar came with the usual Xaviere headstock and a satin finished neck. I think the headstock is attractive, though it is a bit long for my tastes. I have never had a satin neck before, and while it is unusual to me, it is not unpleasant. To sum up, I recommend these guitars!

And now for some pictures....

Headstock:

[​IMG]

Flame on neck:

[​IMG]

Comparison of Xaviere neck (left) to 1989 American Std. Strat neck (right):

[​IMG]

Body pic, with my Guitar Player magazine collection:

[​IMG]

With my Silver Creek acoustic:

[​IMG]

With its electric siblings:

[​IMG]

The portrait of the artist as a young telecaster:

[​IMG]

4. blotchard

blotchard Tele-Meister

I love a DB Tele!

This is my Canadian Breed...

[​IMG]

Black Betty...

[​IMG]

Fender J5...

[​IMG]

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Not the greatest shot in the world but it's all I have at the moment. A CVC modifies with a set of Keystones, 4-way w/treble bleed, and a Warmoth Vintage Pearl pickguard. It's a sweet playing and sounding guitar.

Attached Files:

6. hiero

hiero Tele-Meister

I really love the look of a double bound tele and I sooo wanted a Black/roesewood MIJ 62 RI. It sat in my local dealer for a while in 2011 but at the time I had purchased other things (amps!) and cash was tight. When I went back it was gone and the last of the stock in the channels seems to have gone too now - except for the sunburst which I don't like...

Then I saw the TAOS Blue custom shop Tele and thought it would look perfect with a ToneKing Imperial amp - bloody superb amps! But this Tele too seems to have disappeared from Fender's catelogue...

[​IMG]

But now I am lusting after the USA Custom shop 62 in Burgandy met Mist - but at £2000+ in UK is bloody expensive...
    [​IMG]

...I would have been happy with just the MIJ in Black I think!

7. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Whoever constructed that ad doesn't know how to spell "Burgundy", but still...

One of the guys who comes to a regular weekly jam I attend recently turned up with one of these, which he had acquired at a relatively bargain price because of a minor ding. I had a play on it and I have to say it is one of the nicest, most comfortable, playable guitars I have ever encountered. The neck in particular is sublime, with a perfect profile (for me at least) and beautifully-rolled fingerboard edges. It makes my moderately expensive American Vintage '62 Custom Reissue feel distinctly crude by comparison. Although there's not much between them in actual sound, the Custom Shop jobbie is so much easier to play and a bit lighter in weight as well. It was only the colour itself that I wasn't quite so keen on.

I'm in the very fortunate position indeed of being able to afford just about any guitar I want. But I have to say that up until then I hadn't really considered a Custom Shop guitar, wondering what all the fuss was about. Now I've found out for myself I'm seriously considering that if that's the kind of quality and finesse to be expected it really could be worth the high price.

If you can manage to stretch to it I'm highly confident that you won't be sorry, but I do suggest that you don't buy one "off the page". Better to make the journey to visit a Custom Shop dealer such as Coda Music or Peach Guitars and try before you buy. Without knowing for sure I'd hope that it may even be possible to negotiate the price down a bit.

8. hiero

hiero Tele-Meister

Actually, having a read through some earlier posts,I followed up on some links and sure enough no Fender double bound offerings to be had currently - unless you want a Squier - just take a look at the pitiful offering in the current Jan 2013 Fender catelogue for Bound Tele's! There is not a 62 RI amongst them... It seems Fender just don't get it - they are striving for 'modern players' with all these hybrids and completely ignoring that most of us who have the wherewithal to buy their stuff new do so because we want tradition and to recapture elements and sounds of our youth...!

9. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Daves Guitars still has both a sb and black in stock. I bought a surf green AVRI 62 from them last month for $1259 - I think it may have been the last one available online in the country.

10. juancaca

juancaca TDPRI Member

hi everyone, i jut become a proud owner of a double bond tele... thanks to some good advicing of forum members that helped me in my thread here, i wasnt shure but didnt regret at all, that guitar is plain amazing in good amplification!!! :D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Abe

Abe Tele-Meister

I'll just leave this HERE:

[​IMG]

Fender Custom Shop "Custom Esquire", 1992 run of 100.

12. alextinker4

alextinker4 TDPRI Member

AVRI 62' Tele Custom (My First DB)

Hey Gents!
    I have wanted to join this club since I first laid eyes on (what would be) my dream guitar...

I had a borderline obsession with the AVRI 62's. It was between the burst or black... but I am a country boy through and through... Had to be the Burst.

An American Vintage Reissue 1962 Fender Telecaster Custom... just saying it gives me those giddy chills. I love how it flows off of the tongue...

The moment I saw her, I said it looked like a cowgirl in a bow tie... and it just stuck... I named her "Jessie".

I got the chance a few months back to pick her up. Brand new at a heck of a deal! (I did have to eat some more Ramen than ususal... but It was a sacrifice I willingly accepted...)

Everything That I've wanted is in this guitar... The Tone, The feel, the Mojo... Its all there in an MIA burst!

Plus its my first American Tele... (My first electric was a MIM Tele.)

I'd be honored to join the DBTOC...

More pictures to come... these are just the ones I always keep on my phone... like a "Proud Parent" Tele-head.

Attached Files:

13. Randyman18

Randyman18 TDPRI Member

My American '62 Vintage Custom

Hey guys, (sorry, its hard to see the double bound)

Here's my guitar! It's a American RI '62 Custom Tele. I love it to pieces. My first tele, and I couldn't be happier. I've never had a guitar that holds its tuning so well. Its just a rock solid slab of beautiful wood.

I am thinking of getting a McVay G-Bender installed. He does a great job, barely any footprint on the guitar, which is really important to me.

I use ErnieBall Cobalt Hybrids - they keep their overtones and stay bright for so long. I really enjoy them.

I just recently purchased a slideholder that fits onto the cutout on the bottom side. It holds your slide snugly, and keeps it at your fingertips.

I play it through a Barber Tone Press (compressor), Paisley Drive, TS9, DD3 (delay), and a beautiful custom Weber Reverb unit (knock off of the '70's Fender Tube Reverb Unit) through an Egnater Tweaker Combo.

Sound delicious.

Attached Files:

14. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

'85 MIJ CAR- I'm in!

[​IMG]

15. orcslayer

orcslayer TDPRI Member

Hi, I just bought a new Tele CVC Squier, black double bound with matching black headstock face. I've always had a thing for DB Teles & the matching headstock mad it irresistible!

I'm just about to install a 4 way switch to give me series wiring in one position.

Attached Files:

16. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

62 telebration arrived yesterday.

Attached Files:

17. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Beauty! I am sure it'll play as good as it looks! Congrats!

18. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

It plays incredibly. I must admit to buying it because it was a 60th anniversary and because of the looks. I dont like rosewood fretboards and I normally like a fatter neck like on my baja or tl55 but God its a pleasure to play!
    I've only owned 1 US made guitar which was an American Special Strat. Sold it after 3 months and thought the build was no better than Mexican and worse than Japanese, but when you buy a premium US model, the build quality and quality of the wood is stunning.
    She's 8lbs but feels lighter than my baja which weighs just over 7?
    My next guitar was going to be a tl52, but I'm going to save for an AV52 instead after buying this one.

19. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

Welch Twangslinger Classic, GFS Liverpool neck pup

image-2375283570.jpg

20. sgman

sgman TDPRI Member

Did you just buy this beauty on eBay ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.