the Doors : opening music for Apocalypse now

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Oct 27, 2019.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I really like the S.G tone

JL_LI, ASATKat, Georox and 6 others like this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

the song "The End " I play In a DADGBD tuning , it allows you to play the chorus using first position chords , its one of my favorite Doors songs of all time, Robbie krieger was an understated guitarist and a real talent.

Bassman8, stevemc and DonM like this.
  3. ping-ping-clicka

I wasn't sure about where to post it I like the music , but there is a lot of the opening scene in the clip, so maybe it belongs in the bad dog cafe?

24 track likes this.
  4. ping-ping-clicka

of all the guitarist that played in the band , imho he was the best.:rolleyes:.....:lol:

ASATKat, nojazzhere and 24 track like this.
  5. 24 track

I always felt it was the sum of the parts that made that band , on their own none of them would have stood out but as a unit the doors were monsters of talent , I have a video Doors live in berkley (I beleive) and it showcases the talent they had from Dinsmores drumming , to Morrisons off the wall antics and great voice, to Manzarics keys and hynotic progresions to Kieger's fine guitar playing , I know alot of their shows got convoluted by contaversy and Morrisons back stage antics, but for the time there was a lot less tolerance for their performances.

6. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Robbie never used a pick. And was the only guitar player of The Doors.

Kevin Wolfe and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Please explain... ?

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  8. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

There may be subtle humor there....

9. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Marc Benno helped out on the L.A. Woman album.

10. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Can't watch. I get this message:

Video unavailable
    This video contains content from Pathe, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Copyright grounds??

11. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Doors brought in talent for studio work. AFAIK all if their music was a total live mix of everyone together. I only say that due to the numerous flubbed takes that have been released. That may have changed on LA Woman with Bruce, dunno.

12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

It wasn't the SG, it was Robbie.

13. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

It was Robbie and an SG.

14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I've heard him on a 335 and using a pick. He still sounds just like himself.

ping-ping-clicka and nojazzhere like this.
  15. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I don’t care for The Doors much, but "The End" is a great song. The drums sound huge.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen pics of Robbie on a Les Paul Custom. (live) Also, he used SG's with Humbuckers AND P-90's.

17. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    Ray Manzarek took private piano lessons as a child and at university played in his fraternity jazz band among other things. He became a jazz player and fan and even did some jazz concert promoting for some of his heroes. He then enrolled in UCLA's graduate film program in 1962, where he received a MFA in cinematography in 1965. It was there he met fellow film student Jim Morrison.

John Densmore started out playing piano as a child, then moved on to drums and percussion. He also played Timpani in the college orchestra he attended. He studied ethnic music at Cal State Northridge and was heavily influenced by jazz drummers Elvin Jones and Art Blakey

Robbie Krieger stated playing Flamenco guitar (no picks) and progressed rapidly. He then got into folk, jazz and blues. Blues was where he learned how to play the great, unique slide style he has. He hadn't been playing electric guitar much until he joined The Doors.
    By the way, he wrote or co-wrote many of the Doors' songs, including the hits Light My Fire, Love Me Two TImes, Touch Me, and Love Her Madly.

I was lucky enough to see The Doors playing around L.A. before they made it. Places like Pandora's Box, The Hullabaloo Club and The Whisky. Each time I saw them they were better and better and starting to play originals. It was obvious with Morrison out front they were destined to make it.

None of these guys were novice players or bedroom hacks that got a lucky break. They were real musicians who were fortunate enough to get together. Synchronicity anyone?

18. 24 track

they definatly had the touch and the chemistry and the timing great band , I remember reading about Robbies flaminco back ground and it was appearent he had the chops ,
    My sister in Hawaii has given me a framed copy of the the original limited print of the photograph of the Morrison Hotel album cover , by the original Photographer , I just need to go to Hawaii to get it, LOL that will hang nicely in my studio.

Macrogats and nojazzhere like this.
  19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The Doors are one of my favorite bands...yet quite strange in the manner in which they differed from the sum of their parts. Strange because each of the musicians was extraordinarily talented (and extraordinarily underrated or ignored by most), and they were fronted by someone who didn't come anywhere near the rest of them in terms of talent. But when you take away that least talented member, they somehow turn to ****. It's like they were all punching right in line with their proper weight class: heavyweight musicians, heavyweight results. Except for Jim, who through some magic, punched as a heavyweight in terms of impact on the band, even though he was a lightweight in terms of actual musical/poetic talent. I honestly think he was mediocre as a writer and a singer and a frontman...but remove him, and you get the godawful crap they released after he died.

I've often said that even though The Doors are one of my favorite bands, I'd love them even more if the vocal tracks were stripped, leaving the songs as instrumentals.

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

... and the first animal is jettisoned....

things usually start going downhill from that point....:lol:

I still remember when the first Doors song appeared on the jukebox at the local pinball/pool hall.... Love her Madly.... everyone stopped to listen....:eek::cool:... wooo who is this?... oh yeah...:D

I think we wore that 45 out a few times with plays...and started us looking for Doors records..:twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.