The DIY pedal that you still own and maybe use

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by hopdybob, Dec 1, 2019.

1. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

A few year ago i started with some DIY pedals and now i am in the flow of giving them a housing, now it's nothing more than a a couple of working veroboards, pots, switches and wire's with no enclosure.

it s fun to do, but i wonder, how many of you still have and maybe use their DIY pedals and what did you make?

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I made three:
    a Peppermill overdrive
    a copy of the Barber Gain Changer
    a copy of the JangleBox compressor for 12-string guitar

I still use them all, but I don't play out hardly at all anymore. The Peppermill is a nice always-on boost for my fender amps which are quite clean at low volume. The Gain Changer I use mainly the same way; I have never been a user of distortion and overdrive pedals of any type, so this one was just built out of curiosity. It sounds good and has many possibilities. But by nature I am a 'set-and-forget' type.

The JangleBox is glorious, I love it. It is NOT subtle; part of the joy is hearing the compressor pumping. It really makes the electric 12 sound excellent - certainly in a mix situation such as a recording. My young nephew who has studied music and recording and has a small home studio thinks it is atrocious. But he was born way too late to understand the Byrds and the Beatles. He is more 'Kemper generation'.

3. Splodgeness

Splodgeness TDPRI Member

Hi...... I built a Big Muff Pi that I gig with occasionally.......

Any chance you have a schematic for the janglebox? I'd very much appreciate seeing what's inside.......... :rolleyes:

jhundt likes this.
  4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I’ve made dozens. I put them in standard aluminum enclosures, my daughter labels the controls with fancy script using colored sharpies. Sometimes I give them to friends if there’s one they dig, others just cycle through my board. My favorites have been the Timmy, I currently have a Timmy x 2 on my board, morning glory, king of tone, zendrive and barber gain changer. Also compressors, reverbs and delays. I have a taste for many flavors but not the budget to purchase them and it’s a fun hobby.

willc68, jhundt and ponce like this.
  5. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister

I'm just a bedroom player really, but I have a DIY klon, zendrive, the depths, echo dream 2, and deluxe memory man all still on my board. The only non-DIY pedals I have are the EHX freeze and Choka tremolo... I was going to build a trem pedal but the Choka was so cheap I just figured why not. I have a lot of DIY builds that didn't make the cut long term, although sometimes a few get brought back out.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

I currently have on my board nearly all DIY pedals. 69 fuzz, phase 45, Katana boost, zen drive, klon, blues breaker, multiplex delay and a GGG reverb.
    I also have a bunch more drive pedals I’ve built and a few other delays, etc and they all have rotation on the board.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

you can look here - this is where I got all my info. You have to read through the comments. If you have any trouble with that I can send the diagram... just a bit busy at the moment. The IC chip is not easy to find on normal 'effect-builder' channels. I bought a dozen of them for a few dollars from a China source located through AliBaba.

Take a look and see what you can figure out. I'll be happy to give more info if you need it.

Splodgeness likes this.
  8. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Since two years I've built two pedals from kits from GMR on ebay (UK). Super simple eyelet board wirings, with some primitive mojo.

The first is a very raw fuzz (fuzzbite), I use it when I want to sound dirtier than the Stooges. That's not often, but cool to have.

The next one is a simple preamp based on the Echoplex preamp (Fetoplex), it adds a bit of gain with a nice eq twist and some presence. I don't recognize my blues Junior. That's my almost always on pedal at the moment.

I like to see my handpainted boxes on the pedalbord... It makes me feels like I own some precious boutique stuff. ;)

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  9. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I end up passing on about 90% of what I build ... I want a particular project, finish it, live with it for a while, then move on.

right now I've got a bad bob, couple of boutique fuzzes, a magnavibe, and a eqd tentacle.

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I did a silicon, negative-ground MkII Tone Bender that turned out very well, I still like it more than other Tone Bender variants I've tried.

11. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

This is my Klon(e) pedal that I (re)designed and built on veroboard. It uses the Cornish buffer rather than the Klon buffer at the input and bypass. I also made it bipolar using the charge pump for +/-9V operation, which retains the headroom of the original but simplifies the circuit somwwhat. Sounds great and has a little more presence than the standard Klon(e).

PS: If you want to build this project, the vero layout is here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like to blend the sounds of my preamps to get a unique sound , I use a clean crunch sound via Reagun distortion pedal , a clean stereo output from a rock treck ME 20, Pod pro , Art SGX2000,Behringer Bass Vamp, and a BK butler tube Driver , not to mention the usual DDls, H9-Max, etc, so I made this input switcher and momentary contact switcher and it works like a hot damn plus I have room to take my dry signal and process it through the console and or direct to any of my amps and Iso box at the same time .

pedalboard.jpg

hopdybob likes this.
  13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

For me, it's been a DIY labor of love prior to the whole DIY thing even taking off. It's allowed for me to come up with my own twists on all kinds of stuff, which is great, as I don't have to just choose from pedals that are available as manufactured from others.

Anyway, I personally take DIY to mean that you're building something that's probably not available as a finished product from some manufacturer. So the two that I still have, and actually use, are:

• runoffgroove.com Peppermill - I must have built it over a decade ago now, and it's currently on my big board.
    • Improved EA Tremolo - not currently on my board, but I have no doubt that it will be again, at some point in the future. I modified this one so that it has two different trem speeds.
    ...And while I no longer have it, the fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com Axis Face gets an honorable mention. It's just a tremendous silicon Fuzz Face IMO. And it's truly old school DIY - TTBOMK, there's no turn-key kits or anything like that. If you like fuzzes, this one is worth the effort to build.

Also - if you really want to push the outer limits with what IMO are some really cool DIY projects, anything by a guy who goes by "bajaman" should potentially not disappoint.

archtop_fjk and jhundt like this.
  14. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

well, i started with a 11 pieces booster, based on SHO-from Z-Vex

, [​IMG]

i am thinking to build this one in the same housing with a Mad professor amber overdrive
    http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/06/mad-professor-amber-overdrive.html

and i build this one to
    https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/08/freekish-blues-alpha-drive.html

now i only play at home, but it is just so much fun to take a handful off parts and make something that works :D

but there is something in my mind that wants to combine the 11 pieces booster with the DIY clapton midboost to and have a midboost in a pedal
    http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/active_strat.pdf

but first i have to house the thing i already made, period!

15. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I also still have the ROG Peppermill on my board after trying a bunch of DIY and cheap pedals.

jhundt likes this.
  16. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

nice build, i hope i get my builds as neat inits housings as you have.

17. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

This is probably the best pedal I have owned, certainly the best distortion I have owned:

LowCaster likes this.
  18. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I made several and I use them time to time - I'll (re)post the most funny ones... ;)

Here's the "Retro-Cool" series :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Smoby" built in a leftover FoXX casing - Smoby being a French coloured toys manufacturer :D

[​IMG]

I don't own these "Tin-Box" series ones below anymore - I offered them to friends :

[​IMG]

This one, called "Fuzz-Thon" (Tuna-Fuzz) is regularly operated by his owner :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-tbln

zippofan, Iago, archtop_fjk and 7 others like this.
  19. highwayjones

highwayjones TDPRI Member

I find my DIY Bluesbreaker indispensable and swap out many other DIY projects, primarily my COT50. A few other DIY pedals I made (Les Lius and Timmy) I replaced with the actual vendor pedal because they are so cheap to begin with.

20. Gaz_

Gaz_ TDPRI Member

I love these. Especially the tri-ang! If you ever set up an ebay shop, please let me know!

tubelectron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.