The Direct Connection..Carvin Amp owners!

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Warm Gums, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Some people dream of the big 3 (Fender, Marshall Vox..)

Growing up in a small town in the 70's I thought Carvin was the bomb, imagine UPS delivering a big powerful amp with high end speakers to your door!

It took a while but I now own two, a SX 100 1x12 combo from a few years back and a late 70's SC2000 head( no cab..yet)
    What have you?

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  2. ricks1

ricks1 TDPRI Member

Carvin amps

I would like to add Carvin amps to the list. I own a vintage 16 but plan to add a big brother to it very soon.

3. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

The "V-3" line is certainly getting some good press

4. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

I've lived right down the road for them most of my life, and am lucky enough to own an old green Kiesel amp (Carvin before they were Carvin). They do good speaker cabinets, nice PA cabs especially. The Vintage 112 (the cabinet for the Vintage 16 head) is the cheapest tweed-covered 1x12 cab out there and they put a decent speaker in it. Well built.

5. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Tele-Afflicted

I had a big 1975-1/2 model 100 watt solid state with the vari-tone control and an actual master volume instead of a "harmonic distortion" switch with a matching 6x10 cabinet (CTS speakers). I was kinda glad to finally get rid of the cab, sold the head with it to get rid of the cab.

I still have a tri-ax preamp (nice for recording direct with the cab simulator) and a stereo solid-state power amp.

6. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I have a Power Bass 100 bass amp that is just wonderful--clean sound, useful tone controls, 10-inch speaker, not too heavy, built-in compressor, GREAT for low- to medium-volume gigs. I bought it used in very clean shape for about $135 at Guitar Center and could not be happier.

7. animalcbb84

animalcbb84 TDPRI Member

Can I be in your club?

I have an AWESOME Carvin x-60 Tube amp Combo. I believe it is a 1983 Model. It is in great condition, and makes my Telecaster HH sound beautiful. I bought an aftermarket 3-button switch that works great. I have the best sounding guitar and amp set-up i've ever had, and I've had a bunch in 30+ years of playing and changing gear!

8. SolidbdyJazzfan

SolidbdyJazzfan Tele-Holic

My Carvins are a 100 watt tube Clubmaster with one 12 inch speaker, a ProBass 150 head, and a 1-18 Carvin bass cabinet. I love them all very much.

9. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

I have a 1974, ST4000 Superlead head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Usarmydrummer

Usarmydrummer TDPRI Member

Just picked up this BelAir on Craigslist for $200

Attached Files:

Festofish, Straydogger and kookaburra like this.
  11. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

Nice deal :)

12. Tedd

Tedd TDPRI Member

Bel-Air w/ Mods

I've had a Bel-Air since about 2000 and have always been pretty happy with it for most applications. It's been difficult to a jazz sound out of it but that's not what it was built for. Last summer (perhaps out of boredom) I decided to do the Hassler modifications ( http://hasserl.com/vt50_mods ) as well as put JJ tubes in and Eminence Tonkers. I like what the tubes and speakers did for the tone of the clean channel - very rich and punchy - but now it breaks up a little too soon for me. I'd rather the clean channel stay clean. As for the Soak channel, the electronics mods have left me with a very coarse distortion and a Mid knob that has almost no effect. I might undo those mods some day.
    These days, though, I'm more often using a Boss GT-8 into the stereo effects return of a roland JC-90.

13. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I own a Carvin AG100D Acoustic amp with the extension cabinet, and a Vintage 16. Very happy with both of them. Since the AG100D also has a bass amp channel it doubles as my bass rig. I also like the sound of it with my Ibanez archtop. The bass reflex cabinets give it a nice bottom end for chording. I call it my "swiss army amp". The Vintage 16 is one of the quietest tube combos I ever used. Love the tone.

kookaburra likes this.
  14. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Has anyone done (or had done) the Hasserl mods to the Vintage 16 combo? What about a speaker swap (to, say, a Cannabis Rex?) Run to external cab? If so, what speakers?

I like it, but it needs a bit of upgrading. I have about 15 hrs on the stock speaker so it has started to be broken in. I would agree with a number of commenters that it is heavy on the mids, although I have noticed improvement as the speaker cone has loosened up.

15. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I love my X100b! Picked it up last year NOS - seriously, still in the shipping box from 1988! It's a transitional model with the paper EL-34 labels stuck over the 6L6 silkscreens on the chassis. Only year for tolex and EL-34s. No, the chickenheads aren't factory. I just like the way they look.

Attached Files:

Festofish and wildschwein like this.
  16. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got a Carvin VT50 head and the matching 212 cab.

17. Bearcat

Bearcat TDPRI Member

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who likes old Carvin stuff! They have a bit of a bad reputation as a cheesy 80's amp, but I liked mine well enough.

I used to have a Carvin X50b head (or something like that), It was a 50 watt head covered in hideous fuzzy car-trunk like material. It was build like a tank, and the drive channel was horrible to my ears, but if you like that scooped 80's metal thing, I guess it could be alright. I got is for free off my brother because he couldn't get a decent sound out of it (too many knobs i guess?).

But man, the clean channel on this thing was awesome, especially with the parametric eq. I regret getting rid of it when i was moving across the country and had to downsize. It was a pretty cool sounding amp, a great 2nd amp to my DRRI.

18. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

Yes, the clean is prety damn nice.

19. scarrpa

scarrpa TDPRI Member

20. Anwar

Anwar Tele-Meister

Carvin VTR2800

Just picked up a Carvin VTR2800 100 watt head for $175 from Guitar Center. I built a cab and picked up a British Series Carvin speaker for it to make a combo. Not quite put together but close! Ran the head through a 1x12 cab and it sounds fabulous. This will be a nice club amp for Blues based Rock and Jazz and Folk. Oh and going with Paisley upholstery and Fender oxblood.

Carvin Combo Project.jpg

tombob, chemobrain and rob2 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.