The difference an electronics upgrade does to an MIM tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by OwenHu99, Feb 1, 2018.

1. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

When shopping for a pick up, I stumbled across a solderless electronics set that consists of:
    - cts 250k pots
    - fender oak 3-way selector
    - usa made switchcraft output jack
    - k40y russian 0.033uF PIO cap
    - sprague treble bleed mod...
    for a total of the equivalent of 75 USD.
    Is this set worth the money? I am upgrading my neck pup to a lollar vintage t, and when I saw this set, I thought I might as well upgrade the electronics too. Does this improve my tone noticeably? If not, Im probably better off saving the bucks for a pedal or something. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

P.S. this is a stock 2016 mim tele

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

IMO, other than the treble bleed ($5 worth of components), it will make no difference. The stock components in a MIM Tele are fine.

In any case, $75 is about $35 more than you could spend if you just bought the separate components, and soldered them yourself.

TimTam, soulman969 and BelairPlayer like this.
  3. OwenHu99

OwenHu99 TDPRI Member

thank you :)

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Other than the addition of the treble bleed mod which I find useful nothing else there will change your tone for the better. You may find you enjoy the "feel" of the pots and switch and the convenience of the plug in wiring in lieu of soldered connections but it's the pickup swap where you'll gain some improvement in tonality, not the electronics.

OwenHu99 likes this.
  5. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

I concur.

You won't know if you like the existing cap value with that pickup until you install the pickup.

Once you get your pickup installed, if you're not happy with the range of the tone cap, you may want to replace it, or even tack an alligator clip in so you can experiment with different cap values, but even if you change out the pots and cap, it'll run you closer to $15 than $75.

Make sure you take the time to get the pickup height adjusted properly, too. It doesn't cost anything to do, and can potentially have a greater impact than all of the changes you listed combined.

OwenHu99 likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Changing the electronics are like changing the pickups. The pots have a 20% tolerance range and max/min alters bright/dark of the pickups. Folks swap $200 pickup sets until they find a resonant match or play around swapping $20 in controls.

MIMs are supposed to have the same control parts as MIA, so other than actual measured values due to factory build tolerance, you won't get an 'upgrade'. If you find your pickups are too 'muddy/bright' then you can swap parts to fix them.

OwenHu99 likes this.
  7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That fancy control plate has the same components that your MIM already does, except for the floofy tone cap, the treble bleed stuff (as others have said), and all the silly 'solderless connector' stuff. If your existing controls do what they should, I'd leave 'em alone.

8. cattzap

cattzap Tele-Meister

9. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Nothing wrong with the stock setup you already have. The only advantage I would see to the solderless setup is if you intend to audition loads of different pickups.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Its a good idea to offer a plug-n-play control plate like this, but the pricing is abusive. That should be a $20-$25 assembly, for folks who don't want to fool with a solder iron. Otherwise, I'd consider ordering $10 in parts and enjoy swapping and soldering till I found the "hand tuned" circuit that matched my pickups (and height, and amp) application.

11. helloTO

helloTO TDPRI Member

ToneShaper offers the same thing with the addition of being able to turn caps on and off, treble bleed options (a few of them), and an option to go with 250k or 500k volume pots. All switchable without having to disconnect anything. If you really want to audition different cap values and hear the difference between 500k and 250k on the volume, the ToneShaper is amazing. All the time and soldering it would take to audition all the options on a ToneShaper would negate the added of cost of the product. Also, to really A/B caps and volume pot values, a quick flick of switch and being able to play so quickly while comparing gives you a true comparison for your ears.

12. Dragontele47

Dragontele47 TDPRI Member

MIM already has all the good stiff. The only upgrade would be pickups. I actually like the ceramic pickups in them, but, I like Strats darker sounding.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.