The Devil's Tower and other landmarks....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, May 7, 2015.

1. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Free Jack that's cool u rode your bike though them parts thanks for the pics

2. Brian L

Brian L Tele-Meister

Since you will be in the area I would definitely take a drive over the Bighorns Mountains.

3. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

The Bighorns are pretty and nice for the bike in general. Same with Beartooth Pass. On the north road on the west side just before you head down is the Medicine Wheel. It's been an attraction for me since the 70's.

Carl

4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Rocky Mountain National Park. Mesa Verde in Southwest Colorado. Yellowstone National Park.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Up near Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Monument is a Mammoth site where they're digging up wooly mammoth bones. It's open to the public and it's worth checking out while you're in the area.

6. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Size isn't everything, quality of the work also counts, and in that regard Borglum was a world-class sculptor in the classcial sense. Neither Rushmore or Crazy Horse are finished works, but at least Borglum's Rushmore figures are recognizable. But, if you want size, Crazy Horse certainly has that.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  7. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I'm gonna second this suggestion. I don't know of any stretch of road that has the kind of panoramic views and adrenaline pumping stretches of thousand foot dropoffs that these do. Caveat: Not for those who are uncomfortable with heights.

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been to Rushmore many times and always enjoyed the experience. I think it's iconic and majestic. This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone seeing it and not being moved.

On the other hand, I've driven down the long entrance into Crazy Horse and just turned around at the pay gate. Couldn't see the fascination. Granted...that was back in "11" but it didn't look like there was much to see.

9. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

That's what we did 30 years before you. There was a hole in the cliff, and not much else.

10. smokedoctor

smokedoctor TDPRI Member

I got the feeling it started out as an honest project with an admirable purpose, but has since changed into a commercial opportunity that will never be completed. We felt it was too expensive, almost "scamish". We enjoyed Rushmore however. Both are probably colossal wastes of an already majestic scenery if you honestly consider it. Devils Tower is a must see.

11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Yes! It has one of those "you must be kidding" Montana 70 mph speed limits. My son and I maxed out at about 45 mph in his Scion FRS. Fall off the road, it's 1000 ft. down; you wouldn't be noticed unless the buzzards drew attention.

Red Lodge is a sweet little place if you like to wet a line.

GetBent, it sounds like you've pretty much caught all the must-see stuff. Why don't you just go to New Orleans and party for a week?

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

that might the thing RD! that is a really great idea. I haven't been to New Orleans since the late 70's...

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The question is always "when?".

Since I have a base in Fairfax, VA (Metro DC) I keep saying we'll watch the weather and sprint up to Maine for 3 days while everyone's kids are in school, but in 4 years we haven't made it up there yet.

It isn't necessarily all about "the place". Time of year, and how packed with kids and whining people it is, to me is so critical. If the traveler's schedule will not permit off season and midweek excursions, some places are IMO just no go until you can go when there's tranquility.

14. boris bubbanov

If your 70's memories are strong and mostly positive, I would stay away.

The main attraction for New Orleans now is, people who can't remember their other trips there or who have never gone. It is still a great city in many ways, it just seems "watered down" if my choice of words is not too unfortunate. :neutral:

+

Friend of mine says, when The World's Fair came to New Orleans in 1984 and went, New Orleans "came to a fork in the road and didn't take it". ;) That's pretty close, to be honest. :(

15. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

16. boris bubbanov

Buckocaster mentioned the Grand Canyon of the Iowa (I got the book and materials, but the trip never happened).............

But there's another "flatlands" state (Alabama) with the weirdest fluke of geology; you have to see this to believe it. Little River Canyon National Preserve. Somehow this sizable river starts and builds to full size entirely atop a breadloaf mesa style geologic formation, runs for scores of miles, cutting a deep canyon before dumping off the far Southeast end near Centre, AL. Dekalb and Cherokee Counties, AL. If you don't believe me, ask the guys who play in the band called "Alabama". They're from Fort Payne and this is their backyard.

17. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i agree mt rushmore is lame
    I vote brooklyn bridge and pizza land(nj)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.