The Devil made me do it. Or how I stopped nit-picking and learned to love the SG. NGD

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Hey_you, Mar 22, 2021.

1. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

I hear you, Italia straps aren't flashy, not a helluva lot of color choices, but they are high quality material and well made. I've got four of 'em, if you sign up for their email list, they often run sales offering buy one get one free, etc. the first one I bought was because I needed a WIDE strap for my '96 CS Les Paul, a 4 inch wide strap makes that 10 pounder bearable for a couple of sets.

Hey_you likes this.
  2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I bought an SG in 2019. Initially I had tuning problems. Then someone suggested that I clean and lubricate the nut slots. I did. Problem solved. Great guitar.
    I love story of the originals being called a Les Paul and it incensed Ol Les so Gibson changed to SG (for solid guitar).
    Of course the SG and Les Paul sound nothing alike.

Hey_you likes this.
  3. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

Not just Satanic any more:

[​IMG]

4. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

If I were a fan of AC/DC, and I was seen at their concert making that characteristic hand motion, I might be accused of being a devil-worshipper. My response would be that I thought that the hand signal represented the SG that the lead guitarist was playing, not Satan's horns.

So, now Blowtorch is saying that those horns on an SG represent Satan's horns!!

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I mean, yeah.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Duh.

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm a bit fond of my SG. Maybe the chosen username is a clue?

The Duesenberg Les Trem is a great, non-invasive alternative to a Bigsby, if a little wobble is desired.
    Wide, suede backed straps stop neck dive.
    You get used to the neck after not very long at all, then you'll appreciate just how roomy it is, how your arm isn't pinned to your side, how good upper fret access is.
    Most tuning issues are alleviated with a nut dress and graphite. The String Butler is slightly ugly, but works very well to give a straight string path.
    SG stands for 'Sweet Guitar' It could stand for 'Sweaty Goolies', but it doesn't. Probably.
    The fairly flat radius makes for easy slide playing.

7. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

I read a post while surfing info. Said Les Paul demanded his name be taken off the SG. 1961 was it?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  8. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

One has to remember the Religious Mentality back in the day. There were outspoken people against the design it has been suggested.

9. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

I never liked acdc

10. blowtorch

I never liked coconut

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Part of that is true but also Gibson wasn't selling Les Paul's anymore because of Les Paul I think they wanted his name off of there just as much as he did

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Somebody posted earlier that Les Paul's and SG sound nothing alike.

I kind of disagree with that; all you need to do is listen to some early Allman Brothers and you can hear both and they don't sound that dissimilar.
    I picked an SG over a Les Paul because of weight, lightness of the body and the ease of play but I wanted to get something sounded similar to a Les Paul
    Mission accomplished love this guitar
    20200624_094148.jpg

Hey_you likes this.
  13. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

put in some time getting use to the guitar. 1st impressions were how light if felt. 2nd was how my finger glided down the strings so easily. Small fret wire I guess that the Fenders I own. Also the pick hand position is much different due to the bridge placement so high. Feels good to me tho. I believe this will be a beater. It can take the abuse I hope to to have the ability to deliver in the near future. Feels like a toy in my hands compared to the tele/strat. I'm excited because I believe this will be very fun to play and will dish out what I want to hear. I was focusing on the tone/volume settings last night. Getting a feel for it.plan to break out the Big Muff tonight and get down and dirty! I'll be playing through my Reeves C225 system:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-bass-system-day.1058071/#post-10325385

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I'm loving my SG, even though it's a Epiphone. No neck dive on this one and a Bigsby is a definite cure for neck dive, but another overlooked cure for neck dive is not to take your hand off the neck.:lol:

15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Here’s mine (loooong gone) at my 7th grade talent show. ‘61 had Les Paul on the truss rod cover. Used to have some vibrato arm, gone before I acquired it.

Attached Files:

Hey_you likes this.
  16. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

EXACTLY.

Levi’s has a great one, available on Amazon for less than $25.

17. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

I never liked coconut either. Tho, crack a nut open and I like it fresh. So, that makes me wonder. If I were to see Kiss live, would I like them then? Hmm. Honestly tho, even growing up in So.Ca.I was rather into British bands/sound.

18. blowtorch

I don't think you can get fresh KISS anymore

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.