1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Deluxe Reverb Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by xjazzy, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Sp0ke

Sp0ke TDPRI Member

I bought few months ago a new 68 Custom DRRi. How many of you changed the tubes ? I'm in love with my Deluxe sound. if im not mistaken it has groove tubes made in russia , right ?

2. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I got my DRRI in 2010. It had a bad power tube. I put in some grey glass RCA NOS. They lasted a long time (years) before one went bad. I put in new tubes, and a Fender authorized tech biased them at -22 volts. I have a set of JJs on hand.

The preamp tubes are all original from 2010. In my experience, based upon 70s Super and Twin Reverbs, a 1965 Deluxe Reverb, and my 2010 DRRI, Fender amps don't need tubes very often.

I'll go as far as to say I think 90% of tube changes are not necessary.

3. Sp0ke

Sp0ke TDPRI Member

I'm in love with this amp. Sweetest tone ever. And i heard people saying that after changing tubes , tone and sound got better. I can't imagine. How did you know it had bad tubes ? Sorry i'm asking just in case to know if my tubes ever need a change. First time i'm having a full tube killer machine

jorbjorb and Steven70 like this.
  4. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

I’m still playing with the original tubes almost four years later. Sounds good to me.

Sp0ke likes this.
  5. Sp0ke

Sp0ke TDPRI Member

This amp is a killer ! I just need a very good OD pedal to pair with it, and i'm done !

jorbjorb likes this.
  6. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

Check out emerson custom EM-DRIVE. Very nice transparent overdrive imo. There are plenty out there though.

7. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the club. A 1970 in really nice condition. Upgraded 3-prong plug, new filter caps, a GA-SC64 and original RCA’s. Love it.

D213B837-F36A-4DA6-BE09-EC6631D98D19.jpeg

8. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Got to jam today with another forum member here. Whenever I play guitar with others, I normally lean toward using my Les Paul and a Marshall (as I have always done).

Today I used my Telecaster and my new (to me) Deluxe Reverb for almost the full 2.5 hours. Pretty happy with my tone and both the guitar and amp.

C21C0C16-138C-483F-BE30-9C931C92FA8A.jpeg

CWP0126 likes this.
  9. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I've had my DRRI a few years. Last year I installed an Emi GA-SC64 and I thought it sounded really good.

Last month I installed the Cannabis Rex. I think I'm done searching for speakers. It will stay. This one sounds like I think it should sound, really Fendery and not overly bright.

10. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

This is my '79 Deluxe Reverb. I bought it in 1996 and it was pretty much mint at the time. I've since put a C-Rex in it added metal corners on the bottom corners and added tilt back legs. I had all the electrolytics replaced 2 yrs ago and had my tech go over the whole amp to make sure it was gig worthy. I've been loving this thing.

image0.jpeg

Frankie and CWP0126 like this.
  11. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a 1968 Deluxe Reverb. Recently I practiced with it, then got out my ‘65 Reissue to practice with. I immediately noticed that ‘65 Reissue was much heavier. I checked the ‘65 Reissue specifications on Fender and they said the amp weighed 42 pounds. The specifications for a 1968 Deluxe Reverb on Ampwares is 40 pounds.

I emailed Fender customer relations and asked them for the specifications on my ‘65 Reissue’s serial number. They came back and told me that my amp weighs 47.45 pounds! The added weight of the plywood cabinet along with the Jensen C12N probably accounts for the added weight.

So why do the specifications on Fender, Sweetwater, and other retail sites claim a weight of 42 pounds? Did the ‘65 Reissue have a different speaker originally?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.