1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The deed is done. Back up bass in hand.....

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by FortyEight, Apr 15, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

It was kind of weird how things shook out.

The Classic Vibe 70's at GC used for 259 was gone when I called yesterday. I thought it was in Jail for used equipment but apparently that time had run out. There was a gal selling a used Mexican on FB for 500 and I was all set to go there today but it sold 2 days ago....

I had my eye on a couple of different options from local places. Both of my music go rounds were pretty much out of Jazzes. Well... one of them had a White with red tort pickguard but it said the neck was twisted. It was flat on one side and had a bow on the other. It played nice but I didn't want to mess with that. I liked the way it looked. One of them had a Contemporary with Active pups for a decent price and I consternated about if I wanted to try some active pups. It might not have been a bad idea.

Another place had a Contemporary and a couple of Affinities.... And I was actually interested in the Contemporary. It has some good equipment on it.

However, one place I had never been to had a used Mexican for 495. And a few others. So I jumped at the chance to get a Mexican.

But, you know, this whole thing has reminded me of why I don't like buying stuff on line. I mean that one played nice but it was just.... I don't know. There was a lot of clacking noise from the action being kind of low. And actually the tech was there and raised it up some and I almost jumped on it. But it was still clacking more than I thought it should. And I actually opted for a Classic Vibe 70's black / black. To me it just played way better. It sounded good. (I brought my own amp) It's definitely a different sound than my P.

And honestly, I think I'm going to like this more than my P. Although that might be the newness talking. But that smaller nut makes a difference.

But there is a smoothness to this CV that I don't really feel even mine has. The action was a little high so they lowered it for me and it feels perfect. It's a bit lower than my Mexican but still sounds very smooth.

I don't mind the shiny finish on the neck. So far I have not had an issue with that when playing any of the CV's. Now maybe I will if I'm sweating and playing but we'll see.

I will be in a quandry about if I want to just make this my number one. It is very nice.

I don't feel the tuning pegs feel any different than my Mexican. And I have a feeling there is something to the alnico pups that might be a good thing. It has a good sound. It's not as boomy as my Mexican P but I was hoping that would be the case. I can always turn up the bass on the EQ or whatever. And I like have the options of different tones.

Although having said that I almost prefer a P about this aspect. Every once in a while I'm hitting the first volume knob and I don't really like that. But it hasn't happened often yet.

So far I'm happy, we will see how it does over time. Like how good the neck stays, etc....

I appeciate all the help. Yeah, I probably missed out on the deal of the century with the 259 70's CV but at least this one is new and didn't feel like it had honey all over it like the used one.

This place I went was super nice. They had tons of high end Fender stuff and PRS. One back wall was filled with Custom Shop guitars.... I forgot to take a picture....

Lots of big metal flake paint jobs...... lots

450 and some change with a fender gig bag and tax. It was actually priced at 399. Which is interesting cuz the other places I've seen these they were 429. It was made in 2020 in Indonesia. I have literally not seen any Chinese Classic Vibes as I was shopping for this.

Bruxist, emisilly, Bassman8 and 2 others like this.
  2. FortyEight

Oooops. I forgot the pics. LOL.

Attached Files:

3. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

Nice Jazzer. I dig the block inlays. Enjoy!

FortyEight and Reedt2000 like this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, me too! Black with maple and black blocks! Looks great. Nice pair.

5. peterleroux

peterleroux TDPRI Member

I’m really happy with my CV Jazz. I added a series/paralllel switch to it, and series mode with the tone rolled off gets into P-bass territory

6. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

@FortyEight that looks AWESOME. Maple with the black blocks looks GTREAT on the black/black!!! I think you got a good deal on that with the gig bag as well!!!
    It has the AlNiCo V pickups it it already? Those “Fender Designed” ones??? They should sound terrific.
    1096FDA9-A7F8-4CF9-AF69-07C22E733C87.jpeg
    Nicely Done!!!

Now get that P fixed up!!

Fretting out and FortyEight like this.
  7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

You know that could be illegal.

39martind18 and FortyEight like this.
  8. FortyEight

LOL. Ooops. I didn't mean for that to sound off.

OK, so after playing it a bunch I can tell you the bad....

So.... I lowered the action today by adjusting the truss rod to be about the same as my P and I get a bit more fret buzz on 1st-6th fret on the 6th string. Now, having said that, I got less fret buzz up on the 10th -14th fret. My mexi is kind of noisy there. The Jazzes action is like a 64th higher at this point at the 12th through 20th frets. So that might be why.

The fret buzz bugs me. However... the mexican jazz at the shop. TONS of fret buzz. All over the board. The action was low but..... It was very noisy.

Now, one other thing I forgot to mention. There was G&L in there used for 400. It was THE best playing by far. But I didn't think I could dig the sound. It had a very nasaly sound. It looked like a P but had the big humbucker MM style towards the bridge. Volume / Tone knobs and one small 3 way switch.

That one played really really nice with no fret buzz that I can tell and a low action. Indonesian made.

But yeah the sound was real midrange nasaly even trebly. The full humbucker setting was more boomy but kind of too dark.....

Anyways....

One other thing is that I think this neck MAY not be much different than the one that was supposedly twisted at music go round. And I could've spent almost a hundo less on that one. I went there AFTER I bought this one and checked it out. It says the neck is twisted but "plays nice". It is a bit flatter looking on the smaller string side (1st string) and a normal bow on the 4th strings side. Mine is a bit like that and I didn't notice. The bow isn't as uniform and purdy on the 1st string side. It looks more like it has a curve towards where the body meets and then gets straighter....

My mexicans looks more uniform on both sides.

Maybe I got taken but it seems to play nice so I'm not going to get too anal about it. I do think this may be more indicative of Classic Vibes. But I feel like overall they are better finished. The mexicans I play lately feel all rough. Much different than mine. Less fit and finish. The CV's seem like they take a bit to make sure the fret ends feel nice and such.

Anyways.....

It seems like it will be a decent playing bass. I don't know how much the fret buzz will translate when recording or playing live. But I mean..... If you listen to the Violent Femmes big album, I forget the name of it, that acoustic bass he plays is all kinds of fret noisy. LOL. I think he's really hammering on it.

68Telebass likes this.
  9. FortyEight

@68Telebass I'm going to play this one for a while before I mess with the electrics on the P. It's got to prove itself to me. LOL.

Then I gotta decide if I want to try flat wounds on the jazz or the p. Or not at all. Or both. LOL.

68Telebass likes this.
  10. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

Oh that baby looks snazzy...perhaps even "Jazzy"....

11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Cool new bass, man! And that selfie pic ought to be some kind of TB mascot photo.

FortyEight and 68Telebass like this.
  12. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

@FortyEight - New avatar...maybe??? :twisted:

13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Yes, except an exception needs to be made: @FortyEight gets a bigger avatar photo size, just to fully display that photo.

14. FortyEight

I'm so untechy I don't know if I could even remember how to do the avatar pic...... hang on... lets see......

Ah they make it easy on this site.....

I liked the bmx hop pick. I was proud of that. But I guess this is more appropriate. LOL.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  15. FortyEight

Oh, I used my bass at practice last night and the singer / leader of the band thinks it has a better sound so he thinks I should keep using it. LOL. I thought that might happen.

I do wonder what new strings would do for the P though... After this one proves itself I will fix the pots and put flat wounds on the P I think.

I do think the Alnico pups might have a better, more full sound than my mexican p pup. Even though they are single coils. I've never tried to mess with height on that one though.

And @Ronzo Thanks for the encouragement. I think it was what you said that help me lean towards the CV. I did probably miss out on saving a few bucks but yeah, I wasn't sure at the moment about that one. This one was at least 30 dollars less than full price. LOL.

I found out that the guys from my band both bought their acoustic guitars from the same shop.

16. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

A bit of fret buzz is generally okay. A bunch is not okay. You get to decide where the line is.

A warped neck is a no-no in my book unless you're willing to take it to a pro at some point. For a no-muss instrument, you're better off starting with a straight neck.

FortyEight and NTC like this.
  17. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

The avatar pic doesn't have the traditional new bass face. It looks like you've been walking through the jungle and stumbled across King Kong and are like "Please don't eat me mighty Kong, I have come to make offerings of a bass and iPhone..."

FortyEight likes this.
  18. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

You had me at Flatwounds on a P. You might try tape wounds as well. I kind of like those for the snap.

FortyEight likes this.
  19. FortyEight

On a gun website I used to go on a lot we'd call this a "Range Report".

So I had a gig on Saturdan night and I had been consternating over which bass to play. I mean I only had it since Thursday. Plus to add to the concern the action was still a bit too high for my liking. So I woke up Saturday morning and I lowered it a bit more by a small amount of truss rod and one full turn on the bridge saddles. I also intonated again. Which I had to do a bunch of. The store had the bridge completely straight across. They did say they didn't always set up every guitar and I'm guessing maybe the cheaper ones have less time spent on them.

Anyways.... I played it some, I played my other one some. I was playing them both through my amp at home and the really was the kicker. To me the classic vibe sounded like a LOT better. I don't know if it's the difference between the Jazz and P but I think it's more like @Ronzo was talking about. About the Mexican pup not being all that stellar. My guess is it's the difference between the alnico cv pups and the mexi ceramics. Could be I need some new strings on my P too. A bit of both maybe?

So anyways.... I figured I'd live dangerously and use the new one.

It paid off. It really sounded great. I had a TON of fun playing it and I probably had the best set I've had with this band. I mean I know it's the indian and not the arrow but sometimes it's nice to have a bow you jive with. lt really was a good set and was a really good crowd. We had about 20 people dancing towards the end of the set and I guess the parking lot was packed. And supposedly the bar had one of the best nights they've had in a long time.

So anyways.... I'm super happy. Yeah, I don't know how good or bad (straight) the neck is or isn't. It doesn't seem quite as straight as my Mexi P's to the naked eye. But I bought it... And I don't think it's enough off to matter a heck of a lot. I suppose it could get worse over time. We will see.

But one thing is for sure, I totally notice a sound difference and for the better with the jazz. I also find it easier to play with the smaller nut. And I didn't notice any fret buzz during the set but you can hear it more if you're just playing it unplugged or by yourself. I don't know how much it will be noticed on a recording or not.

The downside to all of this is that I now find my P to not be as.... inviting. LOL. Ugh. I'm guessing it will still get used from time to time. But I think I gotta do some tweaking to it to fall back in love with it......

One more interesting tidbit. Someone said a Jazz bass body is bigger. Wellll.... I have a form fitted P bass hard case that Isn't Fender. I don't know who's it is. It's unmarked. But it came with it when I bought it. And strangely enough, the Jazz fits in there. It just has a bit of difference on the bottom side of the body. Which is obvious but the overall length.. Well here, I will just post pics to show.....

Attached Files:

20. FortyEight

That's a bit how I feel when I'm shopping for a guitar. LOL. Some places feel like a used car lot. Of course at that point I'm not necessarily shocked I'm more like wanting to tell them to go pack sand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.