The Death of Contractions

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
What *is* it? You save one space. When I write "can not" it get underlined and the suggestion is to replace it with cannot -- but why?
I can't/cannot/can not answer why, but "can not" is an interesting one.
"Cannot" is considered a contraction of "can not". 'Cannot' is either further contracted into "can't" or "can not" is also contracted into "can't".

Yonatan

Tele-Holic
Heres something: Ive noticed that sometimes when texting people use contractions but dont even bother with the apostrophes. Isnt that annoying? :)

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Next time you watch a cop show, listen for this one (said nearly every time a detective walks into a crime scene):

"What've you got?' instead of "What do you have?"

I'm sure I say it too.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
Watch "Idiocracy." It's where all this is eventually going. Funny, when you watch most sci-fi movies, all the people in the future in the spaceships with the flying cars and ray guns and such are all intelligent and articulate. In reality, it's those too ignorant to practice birth control and their descendants who will comprise the bulk of the population (it's started already). And since we live in a "democracy" where everything that can fog a mirror gets to vote ...
Remember: Clevon goes to school with our daughters and granddaughters.

When my now-46-year-old daughter-with-a-now-15-year-old-daughter was in high school, I used the “Al Bundy boyfriend exit maneuver” on two of her boyfriends. One was 6’4”, the other was 6’6”. After they fell on the ground outside, they were both about 1’6” high.

My son-in-law has learned the maneuver as well, should he need it. As has my son.