The Death of Contractions

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I love the experiment about not using contractions when speaking to our wives. Of course, this assumes I could get a word in edgewise.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We should have a "write any way you wish" day on TDPRI. Contractions/no contractions. Cool kid text-speak. Write like you're the Queen. Make grammar mistakes without the embarrassment of correction. Spell words any which way.

Oh wait... that's every day. :oops::rolleyes:

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I use them. On a keyboard, it's easy. From a phone, there is one key stroke to go into the sub menu, then type the apostrophe, then another keystroke to get back to letters. Too much work. On my phone, I avoid them.

^^^^This. We have an entire generation out there who communicate primarily by typing on cellphones with their thumbs. Anything that requires proper capitalization or punctuation is way too much bother - and when the crux of your message is what you had for lunch, what time you want to meet for margaritas, or your astute opinion based on something you read online ... well, I suppose it's appropriate. And most folks can decipher this fairly easily, even elderly flatulants such as us. Plus since I write for a living, it keeps me in business. Nobody will pay you for texting an article with your thumbs minus capitalization, punctuation, grammar, etc. Not yet, anyway. o_O

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
^^^^This. We have an entire generation out there who communicate primarily by typing on cellphones with their thumbs. Anything that requires proper capitalization or punctuation is way too much bother - and when the crux of your message is what you had for lunch, what time you want to meet for margaritas, or your astute opinion based on something you read online ... well, I suppose it's appropriate. And most folks can decipher this fairly easily, even elderly flatulants such as us. Plus since I write for a living, it keeps me in business. Nobody will pay you for texting an article with your thumbs minus capitalization, punctuation, grammar, etc. Not yet, anyway. o_O

I dunno. From the poor grammar, missed words, and spelling mistakes I see in articles all over the place on-line, I have to assume this is coming, if not already here.

TC6969

Friend of Leo's
I get a kick out of those who think they can cram two words together and it's a contraction.

Noone is a classic example that I see quite often!

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
ITT people acting like there's no such thing as autocorrect.

Literally hit i-v-e and it turns to I've on its own.

yeah. it was more common for me to omit them in the past on the phone, but now the phone does everything. though some predictive things get it wrong and change an input "youre" to a "your," or something like that, and it pisses me off. on a QWERTY keyboard the apostrophe is right there on my right hand pinky, so for me it's plenty easy to include. but i don't really care either way about others omitting it in informal communication.

Last edited:

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I get a kick out of those who think they can cram two words together and it's a contraction.

Noone is a classic example that I see quite often!

I don't know this, but I suspect that the word "none" developed as a contracted form of "not one" or "no one", or both. In spoken form we don't notice the apostrophes until it's too late.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
They do other stuff. Umlauts and doubling consonants or vowels. Germans just jam a bunch of words together. I kinda like it, but it is a lot of syllables in many cases.

Lots of rhythm in German speaking too, precision, crisp articulation. Not every speaker is precise but the overall cadence is mathy.
I've noted how the same piece of European Classical music performed by say a German orchestra, an Italian orchestra, a French orchestra and an English orchestra; the German orchestra has a recognizable feel that seems related to the spoken word and maybe cultural precision, as opposed to French and Italian feel. English I'm not going to comment on and I may have said too much already!!!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I dunno. From the poor grammar, missed words, and spelling mistakes I see in articles all over the place on-line, I have to assume this is coming, if not already here.

Watch "Idiocracy." It's where all this is eventually going. Funny, when you watch most sci-fi movies, all the people in the future in the spaceships with the flying cars and ray guns and such are all intelligent and articulate. In reality, it's those too ignorant to practice birth control and their descendants who will comprise the bulk of the population (it's started already). And since we live in a "democracy" where everything that can fog a mirror gets to vote ...

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
What *is* it? You save one space. When I write "can not" it get underlined and the suggestion is to replace it with cannot -- but why?

I yell at spellcheck on devices where it is enabled to change spellings as opposed to underline and suggest.

Don't YOU yell at spellcheck???

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Watch "Idiocracy." It's where all this is eventually going. Funny, when you watch most sci-fi movies, all the people in the future in the spaceships with the flying cars and such are all intelligent and articulate. In reality, it's those too ignorant to practice birth control and their descendants who will comprise the bulk of the population (it's started already). And since we live in a "democracy" where everything that can fog a mirror gets to vote ...

I'm still angry about letting women vote.