The Death of Contractions

paulblackford

Tele-Afflicted
It seems like grammar, apostrophes, and all other writing devices are getting thrown out.
It wouldn't surprise me that this generation of kids is waiting for a talk phone or computer where all they have to do is "talk" a message in and the electronic device will do the correct writing.
Chronic laziness.

Waiting? There are several apps that actually do 'talk-to-text'.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
It seems like grammar, apostrophes, and all other writing devices are getting thrown out.
It wouldn't surprise me that this generation of kids is waiting for a talk phone or computer where all they have to do is "talk" a message in and the electronic device will do the correct writing.
Chronic laziness.

From the original post:

I see more people spelling out "I have" instead of "I've", and things like that.

I think the lazy one is the one using contractions. Durn kids today!!! I asked them "why can't you be lazy?" And they replied, "Why can not we be lazy?" :mad::mad::mad:

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
A day without a grammar discussion is like a day without sunshine.

grammar police.jpeg

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
yes, hundreds of years in fact.

I agree. I can speak a few languages, English, Indonesian, German and French ( learnt Latin as an altar boy), also some middle east slang. Just my opinion but German seems seems to be the most accurate and Indonesian a hybrid of Dutch and Bahasa , but very easy to learn in a short time . JMHO

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Writer's like Cormac McCarthy are changing the way we look at the written English language.

I find his lack of punctuation interesting (and disturbing).

We are bombarded with "over stimulation" from just about every direction and, imo, want to make an attempt to try and escape from whatever we can.

So, we seem to be naturally scaling down a lot of things in our daily lives, in order to simplify and minimize any potential complications...

including punctuation and extended and unnecessary language.

Ebonics is a prime example.

I was taught in a very interesting graduate communications course, to distill one's writing/reporting down and come strait to the point, and only include what was absolutely important to the message.

No fluff or "wordiness."

It seems we might be headed in that direction.

imo.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Writer's like Cormac McCarthy are changing the way we look at the written English language.

I find his lack of punctuation interesting (and disturbing).

We are bombarded with "over stimulation" from just about every direction and, imo, want to make an attempt to try and escape from whatever we can.

So, we seem to be naturally scaling down a lot of things in our daily lives, in order to simplify and minimize any potential complications...

including punctuation and extended and unnecessary language.

Ebonics is a prime example.

I was taught in a very interesting graduate communications course, to distill one's writing/reporting down and come strait to the point, and only include what was absolutely important to the message.

No fluff or "wordiness."

It seems we might be headed in that direction.

imo.

I agree. If you look at writing, say from the Victorian Age, it was positively florid. Reading it, I find myself thinking, "spit it out, just say it!"

Oh, and strait=>straight, unless it's dire straits. ;)

EDIT: Have you read McCarthy's Suttree? That's florid!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Report. She didn't notice! How come it is obvious when Lou Diamond Phillips does it?

there are things that weren't obvious to Lou (like when he was married to Julie Cypher)

I did it as well last night without notice. It did not trouble me as I am not sure they listen very closely. We probably say the same stuff all the time, so, it just slips by... just a guesss.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
there are things that weren't obvious to Lou (like when he was married to Julie Cypher)

I did it as well last night without notice. It did not trouble me as I am not sure they listen very closely. We probably say the same stuff all the time, so, it just slips by... just a guesss.

BDLH: Honey, I am having an affair. I know I should not have, but I cannot help myself. Do not let us get too angry about this.
MrsLH: Listen to yourself: "I am", "should not", "cannot", "do not let us"!!! Exactly when did you stop saying "don't let's"? When did all this start?
BDLH: I cannot get away with anything, with you.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I recently had a general counsel rewrite a message I'd crafted for a very wide audience. Every contraction was stricken, he told me they were "too folksy." I just smiled and remembered people often hate lawyers for reasons big and small. He was also frogmarched out of the building not three months later, so... y'know.

Last edited:

Mark E Rhodes

Tele-Meister
While I was out walking this morning I thought of the expression "who's who" as in "...a veritable who's who of Tele-masters."
If someone altered this to "...a veritable who is who..." we would wonder what was wrong with them. (Or more likely we would assume English was a foreign language to them.)

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I agree. If you look at writing, say from the Victorian Age, it was positively florid. Reading it, I find myself thinking, "spit it out, just say it!"

Couple of times. Interestingly, Cormac uses contractions, but not apostrophes.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
He uses an old typewriter, eh? Maybe those keys are broken
Gotta be, never uses quotation marks either. I think we should just declare their absence to be the new standard; I'm sure none of us want to argue literature or how to do it with that guy.

I keep thinking/hoping I'll run into him around town somewhere.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Gotta be, never uses quotation marks either. I think we should just declare their absence to be the new standard; I'm sure none of us want to argue literature or how to do it with that guy.

I keep thinking/hoping I'll run into him around town somewhere.

As much as I love his writing, I do get lost in his dialog -- "which character said that?"

rand z

Friend of Leo's

Strait, was a deliberate attempt to eliminate the "gh."

Therefore, shortening the sentence by 2 letter's.

No fluff.

See how it works?

Heh, heh...