The Death of Contractions

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
I am a history major, write a lot of historical papers. One of the big rules of writing historical papers is to not use contractions and type out the full phrase. I had to focus on not typing the contractions so hard that it bled into my normal typing.

esseff

Friend of Leo's
My wife had her last contraction 37 years ago and I have forbidden ever revisiting that.

Time for the old joke.

A man in a maternity ward is holding his pregnant wife's hand and she suddenly screams, 'Isn't. Haven't. Wouldn't. Didn't. Hasn't. Couldn't.'
The man jumps back in alarm and the midwife says, 'Don't worry, they're only contractions.'

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Hmmm...I used to study the French language pretty seriously. I seem to recall a good many apostrophes floating around in there.

True, jury is out I guess:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contraction_(grammar)

Only ones I’ve studied seriously (spanish, japanese) usually just mash ‘em all together.

The german ones like “wie geht’s” weirded me out when you don’t do it for a lot of them (am, im, zum, durchs, etc.).

Last edited:

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
:eek::eek::eek: Aaaaack, we now have contraction police?! The written language is doomed.

Actually, I think @Mark E Rhodes correctly stated that for the most part, the only real restrictions for using contractions are in legal writings.

It probably is disappearing because of quick conversational typing on computers and/or texting. I don’t have a cell phone to experience most of that. My editor bleeds all over my writing, so I ain’t no expert, but what the friggin’ difference does it make? People have a hard enough time using … to, two or too. Just sayin’:D

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I usually use contractions. I try to write out things online the way I speak. The only one that bugs me is using "I've" for "I have", in the example of "I've a new guitar". Just seems goofy.

On the other hand, if you're using "I've" to replace "I have" in the example of "I've been there", that makes sense.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
What I see is many people using your for you're, and could of, should of, would of, for could've, should've, would've. I know that's what they sound like when we say them, but you should still know the difference. Didn't anyone pass high school English? And, while were talking about it, what's with the silent L?

Where did you learn to speak Engish?

What's your point?

It's in red ... English + silent L = Engish :lol:

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
just plow through the apostrophes. theyre totally unnecessary. the meaning is understood unambiguously.

other languages dont do that dumb stuff with the contractions.
They do other stuff. Umlauts and doubling consonants or vowels. Germans just jam a bunch of words together. I kinda like it, but it is a lot of syllables in many cases.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
It seems like grammar, apostrophes, and all other writing devices are getting thrown out.
It wouldn't surprise me that this generation of kids is waiting for a talk phone or computer where all they have to do is "talk" a message in and the electronic device will do the correct writing.
Chronic laziness.