The Death of Contractions

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Style is part of writing. I write some posts in a more conversational style and others in a more formal informative style reminiscent of a short essay. At times, I use colloquialism and dialect. I use my keyboard differently on a laptop, tablet, or phone, but style counts.

I enjoy literately written posts and usually ignore those that are poorly organized. Contractions or lack of them aren’t a big deal to me.

A bigger problem is posts that haven’t been checked for typos and autocorrect errors. I’m guilty of this. I reread and edit any post that garners a like. I should be proactive and proof read all of them before posting.

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My texts and emails are often objects of gentle mocking by my family members. I not only spell things correctly, avoiding most abbreviations common to electronic communication, but I also use correct capitalization and punctuation.....including periods at the end of sentences. I'm not trying to be "holier-than-thou".....but I WILL not (at least intentionally) contribute to the decline of correct and erudite writing. Please carry on......;););)

andy__d

TDPRI Member
I wonder if part of the reason for this could be due to the trend of correcting incorrect usage of apostrophes that has become common on some sites (not specifically TDPRI); have we created a generation of writers who are afraid to use apostrophes, in any circumstances, in case they use them incorrectly?

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
just plow through the apostrophes. theyre totally unnecessary. the meaning is understood unambiguously.

other languages dont do that dumb stuff with the contractions.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I've been noticing that people are using less contractions in their writing. I don't have a smart phone, but I'm wondering if it's more difficult (no apostrophe, or something?) with the phone key options.

They're - You've - We've - Wouldn't - Should've, etc...

I see more people spelling out "I have" instead of "I've", and things like that. Is this a side effect of texting? Are there 'smart' fills in sentences that bypass contractions? Am I imagining the whole thing? :)

are they using less or fewer? I can never tell, they just aren't around much anymore.

Mark E Rhodes

Tele-Meister
You are correct, Sir. Contractions should never be used in written language. They should rarely be used in spoken language.

I beg to differ. Granted, many a schoolteacher has told children to avoid them in papers for class, but once one grows up one has the options of a adult. Contractions appear daily in newspaper articles and that is "written language." Contractions are used in advertising / marketing copy, business letters, and public relations press releases by politicians, celebrities, military officers, and other public figures. (One may bemoan this but that is another matter.)

Contractions are not allowed in legal writing.
But before one says "they should not be allowed in any writing", ponder this: what is the difference between "I will not go" and "I won't go"? The latter is a contraction of the former but the meaning and tone of the two phrases is not identical, whether spoken or written. They do not mean quite the same thing. ("Y'all" and "you all" are closer yet there is a difference a speaker and writer should recognize when using one or the other.)

Recce

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I probably don’t use as many when writing but they do come up in my dialogue of words to hit while typing. I don’t have a problem with contractions. I also try to use proper sentence structure including punctuation. I am not always successful.