1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The "Death Cap" Thread...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cklingo, Apr 27, 2010.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

QUESTION ??

What if you made a 3 prong extension chord going to a GFI receptical box that you used to plug the amp in. What of the death cap or amp running ac through the tubes then?

3. Billm

Billm RIP

A death cap in an amp will sometimes trigger a GFI.

And you wouldn't ever have a 3-wire cord and a death cap.

4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you're laying on the floor seeing your life flash before your eyes... the $50 will have seemed like a great investment. Actually, $50 is fair enough IMO, including the cord. Mine was cheap because it was a very small shop, and he paid the shop no fee to work there. I'd removed all the baffles and speaker to make it easy too. Probably took him ten minutes.

5. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Someone ask about where to find an Iso transformer.

I use OneAC stand alone transformers that I hunt down on Ebay for a reasonable price. They come in a rugged metal case that will take years of abuse.

Just to clearify things, the death cap and the transformer issues are not the same thing.

6. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

Well, I think you've convinced me... :eek:

I've been on the fence about doing this for awhile now, so I think I'll just go ahead and get the 3-prong cord put on, and stop worrying about it...

Question: If the amp tech puts the 3-prong cord on, will he automatically remove the death cap, too (i.e. Is that part of the process of installing the 3-prong cord and plug), or do I need to specifically ask him to remove the death cap, also?...

7. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd mention it to him for the heck of it, just to make sure he's familiar with the procedure. I casually mentioned it to my tech just in case/to remind him ("you do remove the death cap, right?").

8. cbtd

cbtd Tele-Meister

Hey Tele-Champ, if you play at home in your basement and there is say a cold water pipe running along the ceiling, and you just so happen to lean up against it while holding your strings, you will know how worth it the $50 is. I wouldn't take chances even if you are just playing at home. You can get electrocuted at home just as easily as you can in a bar.

9. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

Yeah, you're probably right on that.. I guess in it goes for the 3-prong plug!

10. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

Good answer! Thanks ~

11. Flatfoot

Flatfoot Tele-Meister

Silvertone 1336 - Should I be concerned???

O.K. I admit it. I'm dumb as a box of rocks about this topic and I am about to acquire a mid 1950's Silvertone 1336 amp that I know still has the 2-prong plug. What do I need to know/be concerned about on this one? :neutral:

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know that amp, but if it has a power transformer, then....
    3-way grounded cord, removal of the death cap, new electrolytic capacitors. Then, assess tubes and other components...if all good, play and grin. IF all is not good, correct...then play and grin.

IF it is an 'American 5' type amp, then you might want to question whether or not you want to put money into it, from my point of view...but if you do, then an isolation transformer, grounded cord, fresh electrolytics, tubes and components check, play and grin.

OF course, if you really are dumb as rocks about these things, you need a tech. :)^) I know I have to utilize other folks for things about which I am ignorant. I keep a lot of people busy! ROTFLMAO.....

13. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

Well I just want to say thanks! I have a Supro S6616 Trojan that I play all the time and I am now afraid to touch it because it has a 2 prong plug! HA!

14. Billm

Billm RIP

You can thank us for saving your life later. :)

15. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

I'll just have to play the Vibro Champ until I can get the Supro in to replace the plug I suppose. Really it needs to be checked out anyway. I have had it for almost 20 years and have never had it looked at. Still sounds great though.

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

EAsyEB, as good as you think that Supro is, with a grounded cord (safer and less noise) plus a fresh set of electrolytic capacitors, that amp will sound like it hasn't in..what?..probably 30 years.

17. supersam

supersam Tele-Meister

I just bought a '69 Pinceton that was 100% original including the 2 prong cord. It sounded great while trying it out in the shop, but when I went to turn on another amp (while still plugged into the Princeton) to A/B it, I got a nice jolt! Not enough to do any harm, but enough to make me jump. The ground switch fixed that but I took it straight to the shop after buying it to have a 3 prong cord installed and remove the death cap.

18. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

Yeah I imagine that is totally true. I have a local guy here that I can take it too. I'll have him replace the cord and give it the once over. Hopefully I can get over there in the next week or so.

19. kkatarn327

kkatarn327 TDPRI Member

I have a Plush P1000S head which I am told is identical to the Fender Showman. Anyways, it has a reverse polarity switch and the death cap too I'm assuming. The previous owner had a three-prong cable installed. Assuming the three-prong is installed correctly (I'll check when I get home), could I follow the same instructions for an amp with such a reverse polarity switch or do I need to do anything special? I would think after the modifications that the power switch would just be an ON-OFF-ON but I'm no expert.

20. ojaverde

ojaverde Tele-Holic

How can you determine which is the transformer primary and secondary on something like an AB165 Bassman? I need to remove the death cap on my Bassman.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.