1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Dean Markley CD Series Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Mr Perch, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Welcome! You got one of the originals -- mine is one of the re-issues, which differ in some ways (digital reverb, for one thing.) Keep us informed about how it performs once you get new tubes, etc.

2. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Here's a sample, guitar straight into amp:

3. Dslec1

Dslec1 TDPRI Member

Okay I need to reignite this thread if possible. I own an original early 80's CD 120 COMBO. I gigged with it in a grunge band through the early 90's an various other bands in the late 80's. it went to clubs, in trucks, fell over a number of times, but ALWAYS saw me through. Any size venue from small rehearsal space to mid sized concert halls.

It was tucked away for 15 years. I bought and own all kinds of amps -Bogner, Fender, Dr. Z, Mesa, Swart, etc. and totally forgot about it.

I spent two hours today disassembling, cleaning pots, fixing the foot pedal installing new tubes-everything. I thought I might have broke it cuz Im not good at amp work.
    Anyway, I plugged in my Strats and Tele when finished and was nearly brought to tears. The sound in my head that I couldn't find with every other amp remained in the CD120. Extremely touch sensitive,lush reverb, warm OD, chiming, singing, everything. i am floored again. Not overstating it.

All original, about 90 pounds, and dripping with tine. Does anyone else here have a CD 120 combo?

Attached Files:

4. dblues

dblues Tele-Afflicted

Reigniting this thread may be a challenge as production of the originals was fairly limited and I'm not sure the reissues even sold that well. I've had a CD 60 since the mid 80s' that has served me well. It was my main gigging amp back then and I still use it at home but rarely get motivated to lug it out. I occasionally jam with friends or play for parties but I have smaller and lighter amps that are loud enough for that.

I replaced the speaker some years ago and currently the reverb cuts in and out but other then that it has been reliable. I do love the versatility of these amps and the different sounds you can get. Two of my favorites are the clean channel with the bright switch engaged and the drive side barely breaking up. Overall it's a darker sounding (mid heavy?) amp then most Fenders but I like that because I play mostly single coil guitars and they sound nice and full through this amp.

Glad your amp revival was successful and your enjoying it again!

5. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

Hello, im back too! Haa!
    Tomorow gonna pick up my third CD60. Im collecting them now it seems. Pretty hard to find them in Europe. Im from the Netherlands. Greets

6. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

IMG_7721.JPG

7. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

I had a similar trajectory with my CD-120 (back in the grungier daze). Bought it at Apple music in PDX around '89, and found it to be a very versatile and capable amp. Just too much damn power! but this was back in the day when we all enjoyed sonicating our brains away to Mudhoney, Tad, Green River, MLB, etc..

Just had it overhauled buy Hal Pritchard (Guitronics, SF) and it's singin like a bird. If birds were actually a T-Rex covered in feathers, trying desperately to hold onto her guitar with those tiny little arms. but I digress...

I'll upload some pix soon. Just to keep the thread from going completely dark.
    Cheers!

8. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

PS
    Anyone with some tube amp experience might be able to give some advice:

my CD-60 makes a terrible low frequency hum when powered up.

It only happens if the amp chasis is flat or even with the ground surface.
    If I tilt the amp ~45deg forward or back - the hum disappears.
    I've removed the reverb tank, swapped tubes, and tried a different speaker.
    It's worse with the OEM speaker, but can be reproduced with any speaker.

could this be coming from a wobbly transformer?
    \
    any infor or hints are greatly appreciated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.