1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Dean Markley CD Series Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Mr Perch, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

No idea -- I'd go with the swap. The symptoms you describe are odd ones. It's a new amp, under warranty. I bought mine cheap because it was a floor demonstrator model. It had some problems, but they were solved by simply replacing pre-amp tubes, which the dealer took responsibility for. It has worked great ever since.

2. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

Defenitely a shame that he took it down.
    You know when you read they only made about 200 of those cd60s and i got two of them.. thats pretty nice :)

3. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

Oh and thanx Mr P and Gnobuddy.

4. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I read somewhere that these amps were designed back in the 80s to be similar to the Mesa/Boogies of that time. Has anyone here played a Boogie enough to assess this? How do they compare?

5. EdMan57

EdMan57 Tele-Meister

Mr Perch,as an owner of both an '85 CD30 and an '84 Mesa/Boogie MKIIC+ I can tell you that while both are similarly featured,the overdrive tones differ in many respects. While the Boogie is an insane gain monster,loaded with harmonics and sustain for days,the CD30 has enough gain for everything up to '80s hair metal and perhaps a bit beyond. While the Boogie's overdrive voice is more liquid and vocal like,the CD30's is somewhat bolder,more cutting and slightly rude...much like a good hot-rod vintage Marshall. Imho,both are great sounding amps that will always remain in my amp arsenal.

Ed

6. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

How about the clean channel. Is the Boogie as Fenderish as the Markley?

7. EdMan57

EdMan57 Tele-Meister

Clean channel on the MKIIC+ is great,but a bit stiffer,and with more "in your face" punch, than that of the more blackface Fender sounding CD30.

Ed

8. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

Allright guys. It finally happened.... my speaker of my cd60 is broken.
    And since im not a amptech or a tech at all i wonder what speaker i put back in there.
    Money is no issue. I just want the amp to fit with the speaker and where else can i ask better then here. I really could use some good advice.
    Anyone heard of tonetubby? i know a guy who sells the here in holland.
    anyway i hope one of you can help

9. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

10. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

Thanks Mr Perch.
    Mine is a 60 watts 1986 DM. Howmany watts is recomended for the amp? And ohm?
    Is there somesort of website where i can find some advice on that?
    In the original is a Magnum speaker. Is that celestion? And i dont want a completely different sound i just want the best speaker in there. No matter the cost.

11. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

12. EdMan57

EdMan57 Tele-Meister

I find that higher watt handling Celestions sound excellent for the CD Series amps.Being as yours is the 60 watt version,I would advise towards a Celestion Classic Lead 80,Celestion G12K-100 or a Celestion MC90 [from Mesa/Boogie] like I have in my CD30. Eminence also makes some excellent speakers that can handle the higher power and sound superb.

Ed

13. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

Thanx edman. But is there a reason wij i cant us an alnico? Is the wattage to low for my amp? I might go for a cl 80. Thanx

14. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

Someone recomended me à 65 creamback. Any opinions? Reviews seem good! Thanx

15. EdMan57

EdMan57 Tele-Meister

My friend has been using the 65 Creamback in a Vox AC30 combo and in an Avatar 2-12 and loves them. A big Vintage 30 guy,he says that these are now his favorite 12" guitar speaker. Btw,he plays everything from sparkling clean to some quite heavy overdriven tones.

As for the alnico,the Gold 50 would handle the power. If you play mostly clean to slightly dirtier stuff,they can sound great. While some like the sound of an Alnico driven with harder distortion,I prefer the sound/feel of ceramics for such applications.

Ed

16. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

Thanks Ed,
    The creamback seems right for me because i use an octaver and dirty fuzzzzz...
    Thanks

17. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

Hello guys,
    I bought a creamback 65. I put it in yesterday and its just great! I must say i have to put the volume more up it seems. But thats ok i just let the cd60 work some more. Its not as bright as the original speaker. But i just turn the highs up on the amp and its ok. Im now pretty sure the original speaker is eminence. I got 2 cd60. Both the same speaker with "67" on it. Made just a few weeks after each other. Im happy because The creamback doesnt break in easy. I use big fuzz and big octaver and the speaker likes it! With the old speaker i just always felt like the speaker had to work to hard and got mushy.
    Thank you all and greetings from clogcountry. (And cheese)

18. EdMan57

EdMan57 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the new speaker review,Jakie.

Ed

19. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I have a new guitar which seems to work better with the amp than my Tele. The Tele pickups are low output, and I cranked up the gain on the drive channel to typically 5 for a fat tone, which was sometimes a little harsh. My new guitar is an Ibanez semi-hollow with an acoustically fatter sound and with higher-output humbuckers (a Seymour Duncan Super Distortion in the bridge position), and I put the drive channel gain at just 2, which is giving me a sweeter tone.

20. rkolts

rkolts NEW MEMBER!

Hi Everyone,

Signing up as a new member. Mr. Perch, I recently picked up a 1985 cd30 from ebay after reading your posts on the amp in the SCXD thread. Snagged it with a "best offer" of $250 plus shipping. I was looking for an amp that had a bit more juice under the hood for playing in a band situation than the SCXD (which I kept, and really like).

I'm still figuring out how to work with the amp (with all the possible gain/volume adjustment settings) but am really happy with the tones it dishes out so far. It's got a fair bit of hum but I plan to have our local tube-amp guru go over it - as far as I can tell it still has the original power tubes and speaker (the 12AX7s have been replaced with jjs). It also isn't nearly as loud as I expected given posts I've read - imagine that will change when I get the tubes replaced as well.

Does anyone know anything about biasing this amp? I've got a number of Fenders that I re-tube and bias myself, but am hesitant to do that with an amp I'm not familiar with. (plus, with an amp this old, I figure I should have a tech go over it in any case).

Mostly, just wanted to thank you for turning me on to this amp. It seems like a real hidden gem in the world of tube amps - I'd never heard of them at all before reading your posts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.