1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Dean Markley CD Series Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Mr Perch, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Even though I play a Tele, I find that the "drive" channel on my CD30 gives me this tone:

2. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

3. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Here's a live clip which demonstrates the Fenderish clean channel, with sound quality about as good as you can get with a video camera. Gain is set on "7":

4. EdMan57

EdMan57 Tele-Meister

Sounds great,Oz!

:cool:

Ed

5. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Here's a live clip from my R&B band. Although the sound from the little digital camera is not ideal, it does capture both the Fender-like cleans on my bridge pickup, and then on the solo I go to the "drive" channel with the gain on 7 for some monstro tone:

6. EdMan57

EdMan57 Tele-Meister

^^^^^^^^^^ Sweet!

7. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

If you live near Pasadena, CA, there's a CD30 on CL for $275. Deal of a lifetime!

8. EdMan57

EdMan57 Tele-Meister

Is that a reissue CD30,Mr Perch? Either way,$275 is a super deal. I paid $425 for my original and very clean '85 CD30. Still,it needed fresh tubes,caps and general tuneup within a few months after purchase. Also,my tech swapped out a couple of *resisters which helped to open up the gain channel and helped better balance the clean and gain modes. He wouldn't tell me the exact details. But with a smile,simply said that it was a few of his inside secrets to better tone.

Ed

* I'm pretty sure that one of the resister swaps was mentioned in a similar thread over on The Gear Page.

9. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

10. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

My band played "Europa" by Santana last night. The CD30, with the drive channel on 7.5, does the Santana tone beautifully, and with a Tele, no less. I'm sure with humbuckers it would be even better.

11. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

Hello everyone
    Im from the Netherlands and i own 2 cd60. Not reissues.
    Can i get in?? :) greetz

12. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Welcome! We need more members. These amps are a closely guarded secret. I played a CD60, by the way, and it was too powerful for me.

13. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

Thanx! I bought one 12 years ago for 375,- and one last year for 450,- (euro) on ebay.
    Im trying to collect them all :)
    There arent many in europe and i also heard there are only 200 made??
    A few years back there was this site with alot of info on it. But i think its gone unfortunatly.

And yes its powerfull but i play rock (foo fighters qotsa etc style)
    Never use the overdrive since im a pedalfreak too haha
    www.cloudmenmusic.com

14. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

15. EdMan57

EdMan57 Tele-Meister

I was told by one of the main original CD Series amp designers,at the Winter NAMM a couple of years ago,that Dean Markley made very few CD60/CD40/CD30 amps. Partly because of company's lack of focus on getting a strong distributor network to best market the line,and also the then current market direction/trend toward stacks and rackmount stuff. Btw,he thought that the total number of CD Series units built to be well under 1000...maybe 600 or so.

Ed

16. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I have exchanged some emails with the company about their plans for a CD20, because I'd like to have a version of the amp where I can open up the power tubes a bit without melting faces. They have told me that one is in the works, but as of last month they aren't yet satisfied with the prototypes.

17. Mr Jakie

Mr Jakie TDPRI Member

It was maybe you who ran the site? :)
    There was alot of info on that site. From old DM techs and how to service them and some guy who send his amp to the reissue developers etc.
    Anyway i just like the sound. Especially when you play a while mine gets this nice pure warm sound.
    I got two now and for one i made a new cabinet from oakwood. Sounds completely different.
    One day im gonna give it a new coat :)
    http://www.google.nl/search?q=mesa+...jOt24gcgJ&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=688
    Like what they do at Mesa.

Greets and thanks guys

18. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I have no connection to the site. From the looks of it, it still exists, but has been blanked or is malfunctioning. I used web.archive.org to find this old version of the site.

19. jrominge19

jrominge19 NEW MEMBER!

Buzzing hiss

Hi - I'm a recent new owner of a CD30 that I bought new, but essentially damaged. It's a long story, but I bought a new amp that appeared to have cometic damage, but played really nice when I tried it out for about 30-40 minutes. With the discount I was offered at the time I thought tone trumped outward appearance.

Once getting the amp home I've first had an issue with a loud hum became apparent after the first 15 minutes of playing and what appeared to be an internally sparking power tube. After contacting the DM reps I took the amp into a shop to have it looked at and the pair of 6L6's plus a bias supply cap and screen grid resistor were changed out.

When I got it home this time after about 10-15 minutes of playing I'm getting this hissing buzz on notes C, C# & D as if this were some kind of resonant frequency issue - but that seems like wide range for a resonant freq. The noise is most apparent on the low strings, but it's always, and only those notes. I would describe the sound as almost an after taste if that makes sense.

I've got a toddler sleeping down the hall so I play at low volumes, but I've tried it at higher volumes and with a number of different settings and the same noise is still present. It also doesn't matter what guitar I use.

DM made the offer a few weeks ago to reimburse for the repairs or replace the amp if I'm still not happy. After finding this forum I thought I would see if anyone had an opinion on what this issue might be or if they've seen this issue before. Otherwise, the cleans are so sweet sounding it's just amazing. I think I'm going to see how serious the DM rep was about the swap out unless someone has a tip on how to make the buzz stop.

Thanks,

20. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I stumbled across the back-story behind the disappearance of that Dean Markley fan site a while ago.

Apparently the guy who created the Dean Markley site had outright stolen a bunch of schematics, writeups, etc from another tube amp info personal website. The owner of that site was not thrilled about this, and contacted the Dean Markley dude, politely asking him for proper attribution of the work he'd stolen off the web and passed off as his own.

Dean Markley dude responded by doing nothing, while the other guy asked him nicely a few more times for proper attribution. At which point Dean Markley dude suddenly took down his entire website and vanished into the night.

From my point of view it all seems rather unnecessary. Dean Markley Dude could simply have done the right thing and acknowledged copyright of the person who actually created the content. Shame to take down a valuable resource on a rather rare set of tube amps.

-Gnobuddy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.