The Dawg Pound---Lil Dawg Amp Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Jakeboy, Jun 15, 2009.

1. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

I don't know. He uses either aluminum or powder coated material by request though.

2. alaskafingers

alaskafingers TDPRI Member

Dumb dog question

I'm embarrassed, but I need to ask a dumb question of all you dawg owners.

I'm really interested in a Champster combo (of course, I have to get those @#$%@ kids to finished college first!). From everything I've read and heard, the amps - and the amp builder - are wonderful. The photos on this forum alone are causing me some serious amp-envy!

But the Li'l Dawg on-line pricelist has me stumped. I can't figure how much a combo amp actually costs - speaker and cabinet included. I'm a dunce. There, I've said it. I'm really just an acoustic guitarist; all these tubes, wires and stuff confuse the heck out of me. Is everything ala carte? :confused: Please help a struggling fingerpicker.

3. Knotty

Knotty TDPRI Member

here the price list.
    http:

The prices are kinda a la carte.
    Send Jim a note about any & all question. Hes a great guy to deal with. Theres no such thing as a dunce here Alaska... we're all a little thick. Youre not "just a acoustic guitarist". Youre a player like the rest of us.

Be Well
    Craig

4. falconer

falconer Tele-Holic

Not everything is a la cart.

Jim's current web price for the 1x8 combo is $599 with no speaker installed, and the 1x12 is $669. Subtract $35 if you already have your tubes, or he'll credit the $35 toward NOS tubes if he has them in stock. He likes Weber speakers, so if you visit www.taweber.com, just pick your speaker (recommend a 8A125 for $80 or a 12A125 for $105), and add the listed price. Jim orders from them, and sells them installed for the same price you pay direct to Weber.

That's it, unless you have other options which he'll discuss with you at the time of your order. I ordered my 1x12 Champster with the 12A125 and a switchable NFB loop, and no tubes.

$669 combo
    $105 Weber speaker
    $ 20 switchable NFB
    $794 subtotal
    -$35 tubes
    $759 total plus shipping to your area and sales tax for CA residents

A Fender '57 1x8 reissue is $999. Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  5. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Other than the OP I don't see anything regarding Jim's 18 watter. I have a Champster, Prince and a DeLuxe. I run the Champster with a 6l6,12ax7 and a 5r4 thru a Celestion gold and the deluxe with the std setup except for a 5751 in place of the 12ay7 thru 2 golds. The prince is mostly un played due to the similarity to the Champster. What am I going to get with an 18 watter that I can't get now? I'd like some more volume and edge but would like some clean sparkle turning down the guitar. Possible maybe?

6. williamshatners

williamshatners TDPRI Member

Hi, I posted a video of my Mutt, with our lead guitarist noodling around at 'band camp' earlier this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-qk_tJWMk

It should give you an idea of what it sounds like on '11'.

:D

7. drjordan

drjordan Tele-Meister

I got on Jim's waiting list in '06 and got my D-Lux in '07, too. Mine also has a Hammond OT with the ohm switchable output, but mine is 60 watts. It has a 50-watt 15" Weber 15F150 speaker and JJ tubes. And my power tubes are 6L6. So as you can imagine, when it breaks up, it's heaven, but it stays clean for a while. I have a Fulltone OCD that loves my Li'l Dawg for lower volume break up.

Here's my Li'l Dawg and my G&L Asat Classic:

[​IMG]

8. scud133

scud133 Tele-Holic

this thread is seriously GAS-inducing.

anyone got anymore videos or sound clips?

9. williamshatners

10. scud133

scud133 Tele-Holic

11. gatimberframer

gatimberframer Tele-Meister

I got a Super Dawg about a month ago. Got the chrome chassis with cream knobs and a blue jewel. I'm planning to build a cabinet as soon as I decide on speaker complement.

I bought 2 eminence legend 1028k's and tried them, but I didn't like it at all. Muddy, bright and flabby all at the same time. I don't understand it as I thought these were supposed to be a good fit for a 5f4. Anyway, the amp sounds amazing through (of all things) a peavey scorpion 12. I mean really good. It's making me seriously consider putting it in a 1x12 combo with it. I really can't wait to get the right speaker(s) and build the cab.

Jim was a pleasure to deal with and his work is impeccable. I highly recommend him.

I will definitely post some pics when I get a cab built. I'm planning on a fairly typical tweed style cab out of antique heart pine (not covered). Not sure what I'll do for the grill cloth yet. My longterm plan is to also build a tele to match.

12. Monkey Man

Monkey Man Tele-Meister

This NOT good for my GAS!
    I think I need a Mutt!!

13. williamshatners

Hi, I should note that the volume you get out of a Mutt will depend greatly on your speaker choice (obviously). The single Weber 12A125A I currently have installed is about 1/2 as loud as the Celestion Vintage 30 i was previously using. With the Weber or similar it may struggle to keep up with a rock band if you are looking for clean headroom. Against advice from many, I'm going back to the Vintage 30.... but I'll miss the fuzz-like breakup of the Weber.

14. gatimberframer

gatimberframer Tele-Meister

Well I've had the superdawg for a few months now and I'm still very pleased with it. I'm running it through 2 emi legend 1028k's and I have not even thought of other amps in months. (in case you saw my post above about the emi's and wonder why I changed my mind, apparently I had a moment of idiocy when I first tried them and hooked them up backwards. Once I sorted that out I was blown away with the sound--so clear and harmonically rich.)

I will say this-- this amp is loud. It doesn't break up at all at the volume we play. But that's ok. It sounds so good I can hardly stand it and I have headroom for the clean stuff at gig levels.

15. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

MickM, Jim's 18 watter Pug will give you the Marshall tone. Way more gain than any of the others you have....and a different gain flavor. Very British, especially if you run it through those Alnico Golds....even some Voxy chimes on the lower settings....but it gets to serious OD fast, cleans up nicely with the guitar vol knob, and the full on distortion is tight and not flabby at all. Killer amp....

16. Knotty

Knotty TDPRI Member

you should try the 12a125o 20 watt. I have the 30 watt in my 5c3. very nice, early break up.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Just bought a used Pug chassis on the auction site.
    I've got an 18w Weber TMB head, and plan to put the Pug in a small 1x12 cab.
    I like the 18w for its Marshall distortion sound, but really love it for its clean sound.
    How loud does the Pug stay clean? I expect Jim put his own interpretation into it, and I'll be nervous 'till I hear the beast.
    Anybody here a fan of the Pugs clean sound?

18. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

My Pug goes into OD pretty quick with a G12h30....with a Red Fang Alnico, it was very chimey with gorgeous cleans up till about 4. G12h30 didn't really have cleans with this amp....fine by me as I like OD!

But it depends....what speaker, what volume level, what pickups....my Strat stays cleaner longer than my HB Hamers....my Pug just rocks... If I want to clean it up during gigs, I just roll off the volume knob in the guitar. FWIW, I use no pedals and get my tone from my amps, Gita, and fingers.

19. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up 2 30 watt Weber 12a125-o speakers. I put one in the Champstet and one in the ChocoDawg. Great tone!!!

20. lotr2

lotr2 NEW MEMBER!

Hi
    , New to the forum, I live in Ireland and found out about Lil Dawg amps by chance.
    I was looking at self build 5E3 kits and trying to find someone to build one for me. I contacted Jim and he is going to build me a D-Lux 12watt Chassis. I would have loved the Cab but it would have cost me a fortune to ship to Ireland so I have ordered a Mojo Tweed 5E3 Cab from Tube amp Doctor in Germany Not as nice as one of jim's cabs but the best I can get. It's finished in Nitro and if any of you guys know how I can tone it down to an Amber colour please let me know.
    Could'nt get the Weber speaker I wanted so I went for a Jensen P12Q.
    Really looking foward to getting the amp just have to wait 2/3 weeks
    Here is the build Spec.
    Std D-Lux with Mercury Pt and Ot transformer upgrade,
    Sprague Atoms filter and bypass cap upgrade,
    SoZo BlueMolded Coupling Cap upgrade,
    "Paul C" Mod.
    .047 coupling cap Mod
    1/4" parallel Speaker output jacks
    Line out

Jim is a fantastic guy to deal with and he is giong to send me some pictures of the chassis in build he is just waiting on the MM 240 volt transformers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.