The Dawg Pound---Lil Dawg Amp Owners

Jakeboy

Tele-Afflicted
My non-reverb WonderDawg 12 watt Lunchbox head ships tomorrow! I had one extra add-on…I had Jim install a switch to toggle between cathode and fixed bias. This will be my first Blackface amp. Excited? Oh yes!

Jakeboy

Tele-Afflicted
MyWonderDawg arrived and is incredible. Such a great familiar tone.
The versatility is amazing. The mid knob, Super/Deluxe preamp switch, and the Fixed/Cathode bias switch results in many classic Fender tones. As expected it takes pedals wonderfully.
Jim hit another home run….like normal.

GeorgiaHonk

Tele-Holic
D-Lux #222 with Emi RW&B.

9AE4DBB6-4ECD-46FF-9C71-683E456D5916.jpeg

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
You have one of Jim's earlier 5e3s and I love them. You can tell 2 ways, the aluminum bar to protect the tubes, and though you didn't show any side picks I'm guessing that it's a square box.

I like both cabs, the one the Jim made and the Mathers he uses now. The Mathers look more accurate but the square one yields a slightly better bass response. Love it!!

Last edited:

klasher

Tele-Holic
MyWonderDawg arrived and is incredible. Such a great familiar tone.
The versatility is amazing. The mid knob, Super/Deluxe preamp switch, and the Fixed/Cathode bias switch results in many classic Fender tones. As expected it takes pedals wonderfully.
Jim hit another home run….like normal.
Can u elaborate on the super/deluxe preamp switch? Is that to switch between tweed and black face tones?

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
Can u elaborate on the super/deluxe preamp switch? Is that to switch between tweed and black face tones?
I have emailed Jim about the Wonderdog switch and he said that it is used to select between the .047 coupling cap of the Deluxe Reverb and the .02 coupling cap of the Super Reverb.

The tones are both Blackface…Deluxe Reverb and Super Reverb…no tweed tones.

I was considering using the Wonderdawg as a lower wattage 2x10 Vibrolux Reverb kinda thing, using either the 15 or 20 watt OT, so I can get the DR tones and also something close to SR tones but at a reduced volume. I prefer 2x10” over a single 12” speaker.

@Jakeboy …what is your opinion on this and what speaker(s) are you using?

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Rufus is exactly right. I had a WonderDawg for a long time. I do regret selling it. I preferred the switch in the SR mode rather than the DR mode: it tamed the piercing highs is a very pleasant way.

New Dawg Lover

TDPRI Member
I came across this blog a few months ago and the enthusiasm for Lil Dawg Amps prompted me to look into and ultimately reach out to Jim Nickelson. After discussing some things with him (I’m a novice at this) and listening to sound clips he provided I decided on the ChocoPrince. Well today, after about a month, I received and demo-ed my 6G2 ChocoPrince and this thing is sweeeeet !! The tone is amazing and the tremolo is so smooth. I have a Collings CL Deluxe with Lollar Imperial pups and the combination is everything I had hoped it would be. I had Jim put in the MM transformers, Sprague Atoms and a Weber 12F150. I went with the 5Y3 rectifier tube with the 6v6’s. While waiting for the build to be done I went to the local guitar shop and played with the Fender Stapleton a few times to get an idea of what my ChocoPrince might sound like and even though I liked the Stapleton the ChocoPrince has something special. And not just the fact that it was a lot cheaper. Perhaps the MM p/t and o/t. Whatever it is I couldn’t be happier. Jim is an absolute pleasure to do business with and I have never known someone as happy as Jim is to be doing what he loves… making awesome amps. Couldn’t help but share my excitement. Be well all

rpavich123

TDPRI Member
Well...by Monday March 28th...I'll be a member of this elite club!

I have wanted an old Tweed Deluxe for a long time (I made a 5F1 champ from Stewmac)and was looking for another kit but since the kits are about $1000....I decided to go with a builder. I bought one that came pretty damaged from very poor packing, I ordered one that had an insane lead time (4 months) but backpedaled when I discovered Jim and Li'l Dawg amps.

I'm so jonsing for this amp to get here...a 5E3 D-Lux just stock really, nothing extra or fancy except different taps for different speakers.

Yay! I"m so excited I've been doing nothing but watching videos and surfing this forum for info...

I'll post back when it arrives.

New Dawg Lover

TDPRI Member
Well...by Monday March 28th...I'll be a member of this elite club!

I have wanted an old Tweed Deluxe for a long time (I made a 5F1 champ from Stewmac)and was looking for another kit but since the kits are about $1000....I decided to go with a builder. I bought one that came pretty damaged from very poor packing, I ordered one that had an insane lead time (4 months) but backpedaled when I discovered Jim and Li'l Dawg amps.

I'm so jonsing for this amp to get here...a 5E3 D-Lux just stock really, nothing extra or fancy except different taps for different speakers.

Yay! I"m so excited I've been doing nothing but watching videos and surfing this forum for info...

I'll post back when it arrives.
I’m excited for you having just gone through it myself and I look forward to your follow up. From the sound clips I’ve heard of the D-lux you are going to be very happy. I got an MXR 300 reverb pedal today and it sounds GREAT on my ChocoPrince. Take care

rpavich123

TDPRI Member
While I'm waiting...here are some build pics to drool over. I'm happy to see that he's not secretive about it. He's confident in what he does.

anish's circuit board ready for drilling.jpeg

anish's circuit board ready for drilling.jpeg
anish's circuit board ready for loading.jpeg
anish's loaded circuit board.jpeg
anish's cab with chassis & speaker.jpeg
anish's loaded chassis front.jpeg
anish's finished amp front.jpeg
anish's finished amp rear.jpeg

rpavich123

TDPRI Member
Well....a slight set back.

I received the amp two days early (yay!) and was going to use it at our gig and it came packed REALLY well and looks fantastic...but it's got an issue. It has a hum and a motorboat sound. I got on the phone with Jim and tried a few things like swapping tubes but the issue seems to be a bit deeper. Jim suggested that I pack the chassis up and send it to him. He's a good guy, I know he'll get it sorted.
Just for my own information, if you put all volumes on 12 with NO instrument connected...how quiet is this amp? What should I expect for noise?

I'm just curious.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
I have Jim's Mutt and Deluxe and though i can hear them when dimed i wouldn't say they are particularly noisy. Id be interested to hear what was wrong.

New Dawg Lover

TDPRI Member
The only noise I had with mine was a hiss but I realized it was being caused by my phone charger being too close to the amp. Once I moved it no issues. When I dime the volume it is so sensitive I can hear string vibration but mute the strings and it’s all quiet. I did check the tubes (cold) and did not have the difference in sound when I tapped the vacuum tubes that were present in your clip. Please keep us posted.

New Dawg Lover

TDPRI Member
So I just re-read your post and realized I didn’t respond to the last question … noise level at idle with volume maxed. When I dime my volume with no inputs I hear what I can best describe as a soft breeze blowing. It isn’t loud at all and no cracking or popping. From 5 feet away it isn’t even noticeable. Hope that helps.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Sounds good to me. I have the 2 lil dawgs, a swart (a mix of a tweed champ and a tweed princeton tone circuit), and a Fender 57 Champ RI and they all sound like that.