The Dawg Pound---Lil Dawg Amp Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Jakeboy, Jun 15, 2009.

1. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

We've definitely got a love.affair going on. What a fun amp.

Blix likes this.
  2. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I am recording a lot and am amazed at the different tones available from my Dawgs...the Champster is really a good recording amp

3. Blix

Blix TDPRI Member

Oh yeah!

[​IMG]

4. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I have something incoming....and it is British!
    This is one Dawg I have wanted Jim to build for years....more to follow once it arrives next week.

Rodi and Darkness like this.
  5. andrew

andrew Tele-Holic

Well? Let's hear it!!

6. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Here's a pic of my D-lux (chassis build) in its new TRM head cab. Now she looks as pretty as she sounds. :D

IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0011.JPG

7. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

The incoming British amp last summer was a prototype BullDawg...Jim’s AC30...really just 15 Watts with 2 el84s but it faithfully followed the AC30 circuit. The Normal channel was dark but it came to life with a treble booster and the top Boost channel was chimey jangly Vox bliss. Ikptmit for a week and wrote a good review and sent her home to Jim. He makes them now as standard issue. The only reason I haven’t bought one yet is I really have the Vox sound covered with the Vox channel on my Mesa TA15.

8. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

I'm VERY close to ordering a Wonderdawg 25w chassis/reverb tank. Just not sure about the tolex color for the head cab. Black/silver? Black/wheat? Blonde/wheat? I have two 1x12 speaker cabs - a black tolex/black grill cloth/gold piping and a blonde tolex/wheat grill cloth/white piping. If I go for the black (which I think is more "vintage correct" for a blackface) I'll need to change the grill cloth in the black cabinet to either silver or wheat depending on the head cabinet. I think the black/silver is the most "traditional", but I'm not sure which way to go. What do you think would be the most popular? Black/silver, black/wheat, blonde/wheat? Which would you go with?

9. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

How much that puppy run ya?

10. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

Just ordered a Wonderdawg 25w head in the classic blackface cabinet. Jim is a pleasure to talk to and extremely helpful. I'm sure I'll be very happy with thus amp!

11. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

It was almost 10 years ago! I have no idea!
    I never bought it.

PeteGalaxie likes this.
  12. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

Got my WonderDawg a little over a month ago. Everything I hoped for and more. Truly fabulous amp - and at a fantastic price!!! Here's the final photo from Jim showing my completed amp:

Now I'm looking at either the ChocoPrince or the ChocoDawg...

Decisions, decisions, decisions! :D

13. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

Do most Lil' Dawg owners have a combo? If so, why do you prefer a combo?

14. calfzilla

calfzilla TDPRI Member

Can any Mutt owners tell me if it has a tighter bass response than the standard 5E3?

PeteGalaxie likes this.
  15. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I’m not reviving a zombie thread for no reason: I have a Lil Dawg WonderDawg on the way, should be here tomorrow.

Bought it on reverb for a good price. I “had” to sell my Fender ‘68 CDR and Fender ‘68 CPR. Actually, I didn’t really like either of those. It CDR is physically large and heavy: I love the clean head-room, HATE HATE HATE the tremolo. The CPR is the exact opposite: LOVE the tremolo and reverb but the head-room is not great (dirty above 4). I’m hoping the WD is the best of both: the physical size of the Princeton, which I love, with the headroom of the CDR. For tremolo, I have a JHS Tidewater mini tremolo, which sounds like a tube bias tremolo like in the Princeton, not a opto trem like in the Deluxe. I’ll post pics when I get it tomorrow.

Speaking of Jim...I should mention that the Reverb post included shots of the transformers and build info on the tube chart. I sent the codes to Jim and asked what the wattage was. He replied within 24 hours, answered my question, which led to another that I sent, and he answered that one too. Who does that for a used amp? What a great guy!

brbadg likes this.
  16. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I think the Lil Dawg will accomplish your goals. I have a 25 watt version and am very pleased. I also have a 5E3 that Jim built. He's one of the nicest independent builders I've ever encountered. Enjoy your new amp and let us know what you think.

17. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

Yup, you are going to love it. I, also, have the 25 watt version. That was my first Li'l Dawg. I now own the Choco-Prince (Brown Princeton) and the D-Lux (Tweed Deluxe 5E3). I'm currently thinking about a fourth. They're that good. And Jim is tops!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.