The "Custom Shop" Twisted Tele Pickup Set

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Buckaroo, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

Not all Twisted Tele sets are created equal so it would seem. The stock accessory set from Fender is different than the hand wound sets found on some Custom Shop special orders.

If you buy a set of Fender Twisted Tele pickups, as an accessory, you will likely get these well made and good sounding machine wound pickups from Fender, with a flat (flush) pole bridge pickup):

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/acces...tom-shop-twisted-tele-pickups/0992215000.html

However, if you buy a Custom Shop Tele with a "hand wound" Twisted Tele pickup set they may be a little different. They will likely be similar to what Mike Eldrid describes in this video from 2012:

I offer all of this becuase I was a bit confused when I got my new Paul Waller Masterbuilt '54 Tele and found that the Twisted Tele set had staggered poles on the bridge pickup...different than the aftermarket accessory twisted Tele pickup set. My guitar'ss Travel Sheet specifies "hand wound Josefina Twisted Tele pickups". Both pickups are signed and dated by her. The second video link above explains that by 2012, Paul Waller had developed a bridge pickup that he paired with the existing Twisted Tele neck pickup design.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    OldDude2 likes this.
  2. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

Cool

3. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

Cool

4. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

Cool

5. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

Cool

6. elementfrvr

elementfrvr TDPRI Member

Is it cool?

7. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Sounds cool to me, but surely the hand-wound doesn't mean someone sat there and wound 1000s of turns of wire by hand...I suspect a pickup winding machine was involved somewhere!

Kreepy likes this.
  8. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

I have no idea what happened back there, I am guessing it was a glitch in the Matrix

PingGuo, VintageGearMan and Clifton C like this.
  9. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

Based on videos from Fender, the pickups are actually "hand guided" as a machine rotor actually spins the bobbin. The hand guided element is what creates the random scatter pattern of the winds. Also hand guided introduces some variable tension on the wind as the human does not hold the wire as consistently tight as a machine would. The theory is that these minor "imperfections" in the wound coil contribute a sonic benefit. And is similar to how they did it in "the old days".

VillainSean likes this.
  10. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Turn your Delay down,,;)

yyr123 likes this.
  11. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

This is marketing genius. Now I HAVE to get my hands on one of these pickups! :);)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    VintageGearMan, jim777 and yyr123 like this.
  12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So it would seem the Twisted Tele pickup is a spec, not a product. Or is it perhaps just a marketing term without even a single spec attached? Fender loves their monikers... Greasebucket anyone?

13. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I also have a set of custom shop hand wound Twisted Tele pups in my Elite. In a word.....Fantastic....or Succulent.....take your pick....;):)

14. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

I would agree with these adjectives.

The hand wound custom shop "set" has all of the things you would expect from a traditional telecaster set; as it is clearly a telecaster foundation by design. But the added, and very subtle, "twists" (tweaks) to the bobbin shapes, wire types, magnets and the neck pickup cover metallurgy make notable difference.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    joebloggs13 likes this.
  15. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Agreed. They replaced the a set of 4th gen noiseless and am very happy with the TTs. Very impressed with Fender Custom Shop offerings these days.

yyr123 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.