The Curious Case of Kenneth Gorelick...

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I think Kenny G catches so much shade is because he was everywhere on the radio in the 80s and 90s. Sort of like Christopher Cross for a few years: oversaturated. Both are phenomenal musicians.

Kenny holds the world record for the longest-held note by any wind player--including dij artists. Yes, he used circular breathing to break the record.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I think Kenny G catches so much shade is because he was everywhere on the radio in the 80s and 90s. Sort of like Christopher Cross for a few years: oversaturated. Both are phenomenal musicians.

Kenny holds the world record for the longest-held note by any wind player--including dij artists. Yes, he used circular breathing to break the record.

I remember when the christopher cross record came out... it sounded pretty fresh... and you are totally right, he got wildly over exposed and destroyed.

A long time ago, I was in a bar in aspen and two stools down, I saw david gates. It took me a minute... and finally I said, 'excuse me, I just wanted to say that I'm a big fan of your guitar playing.'

He laughed and said, 'well, thank you for recognizing me, and thanks for the compliment.' I nodded. After a minute, he said, 'are you a musician?' I said, 'oh, I play in a band.' and he laughed and moved down and we talked for awhile. He said that while he was eternally grateful for his success with bread, he was sorry that for most people he was only that. I shared that I knew he was a studio guy too and that he and russell bridges were friends and jimmy webb and he said something like 'it is a fickle thing, this one gets respect, this one gets dismissed, this one gets ignored, this one gets rich.' he asked where we were playing and I told him, but he didn't make the gig.

That story I rarely tell, because it reminds me that my brother's story about meeting Robin Ventura in a bar and their convo pale... I miss Lefty's in SF, I will never forgive the Handlery dude for wrecking it.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter

and Eric Gale again with Kenny Loggins doing the old eddy arnold song, you don't know me.

Eric Gale was in DownBeat! a lot, and in GP too and had very hard opinions on things... LOVED his playing... Thought he was pretty ascetic.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I remember when the christopher cross record came out... it sounded pretty fresh... and you are totally right, he got wildly over exposed and destroyed.

A long time ago, I was in a bar in aspen and two stools down, I saw david gates. It took me a minute... and finally I said, 'excuse me, I just wanted to say that I'm a big fan of your guitar playing.'

He laughed and said, 'well, thank you for recognizing me, and thanks for the compliment.' I nodded. After a minute, he said, 'are you a musician?' I said, 'oh, I play in a band.' and he laughed and moved down and we talked for awhile. He said that while he was eternally grateful for his success with bread, he was sorry that for most people he was only that. I shared that I knew he was a studio guy too and that he and russell bridges were friends and jimmy webb and he said something like 'it is a fickle thing, this one gets respect, this one gets dismissed, this one gets ignored, this one gets rich.' he asked where we were playing and I told him, but he didn't make the gig.

That story I rarely tell, because it reminds me that my brother's story about meeting Robin Ventura in a bar and their convo pale... I miss Lefty's in SF, I will never forgive the Handlery dude for wrecking it.

Just WOW!
I’m a Gates/Bread/pop music fan.
I saw Bread at Palmer Auditorium (now Palmer Event Center) circa 1970.
It may have been my first concert.
I can’t recall whether I saw them, or the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band first.
I digress.
Very cool that you got to talk to him, and have a real conversation.
WOW!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Just WOW!
I’m a Gates/Bread/pop music fan.
I saw Bread at Palmer Auditorium (now Palmer Event Center) circa 1970.
It may have been my first concert.
I can’t recall whether I saw them, or the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band first.
I digress.
Very cool that you got to talk to him, and have a real conversation.
WOW!

the years that we played in aspen and snowmass were cool. we got to meet lots of nice people (who were famous too) and they often wanted to sing which was interesting (sometimes)...

In that same bar, I got to talk to John Irving (the author) a very nice and interesting person... I think I caught him on a day when he wanted to talk about the stuff he was thinking about and I wanted to listen. I remember I drank A LOT more than I intended and showed up at a job (computer related) pretty hammered... fortunately, no one around and it took hours, so I was cool by the time I had to drive home.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m ambivalent about Kenny G’s musical style but I utterly loath the sound of a fish horn. Call it a soprano sax, c-Sax or whatever. I just can’t tolerate it for some reason

chezdeluxe

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m ambivalent about Kenny G’s musical style but I utterly loath the sound of a fish horn. Call it a soprano sax, c-Sax or whatever. I just can’t tolerate it for some reason

Me too. I think its intrinsic sound is ghastly whether played by John Coltrane, Sidney Bechet or Kenny G. Yet all those players find it a great tool to get their musical ideas out. Is there something about it that makes it easier to play than an alto sax for example.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I found alto, tenor, & baritone sax relativity easy to play. I can’t vouch for the fish horn because I never had access to one.
Those that like the sound obviously outnumber those that don’t.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Me too. I think its intrinsic sound is ghastly whether played by John Coltrane, Sidney Bechet or Kenny G. Yet all those players find it a great tool to get their musical ideas out. Is there something about it that makes it easier to play than an alto sax for example.
Totally. Like Freddy Mercury if he had to sing thru Glenn Danzig’s throat.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
The soprano is hard to play well, compared with the others.

Alto is usually deemed easiest, then tenor and Bari.

I play tenor mostly, and Bari. Don't play alto much anymore.

I did have a soprano for a while, but gave it up. Too hard to sound good on.

Jay Isler

Tele-Meister

I don’t have as strong of feelings as you but I get what you mean. I really liked what Branford Marsalis did with the soprano sax for the soundtrack to a movie called Sneakers.

Mowgli

Tele-Meister

and Eric Gale again with Kenny Loggins doing the old eddy arnold song, you don't know me.

Eric Gale was in DownBeat! a lot, and in GP too and had very hard opinions on things... LOVED his playing... Thought he was pretty ascetic.

Ugggh... too much autotune... LOL!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Ugggh... too much autotune... LOL!

I saw him at the universal amphitheater around the time of 'whenever I call you friend' and when the band did Angry Eyes, he did a part where it was just his voice, band at full stop... and man... he just wailed. just fantastic..

I read where guys who wear ankle supports reduce their chances of ankle injuries for awhile... but, their bodies rely on it and ultimately, it makes them weaker and more prone to injury....

not saying Kanye coulda been caruso, but... we'll never know.

Space Pickle

Tele-Meister
Wow guys lots to unpack here!

Kenny G totally shreds on Giant Steps.

played an a natural on Bb7. jazzfail.

I always dug this... eric gale, so good on guitar and Hank.

I always believed the dudes who did the soundtrack for Blade Runner ripped this off, but, why not? it is an amazing piece.

HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE MAJESTY OF THE BLADE RUNNER SCORE!!!!!!

i have never heard the term 'fish horn' but this is truly hilarious

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Saddest thing about Gorelick—and there is a LOT ;)—isn’t even his fault: to the best of my knowledge, his early 90s hits may be the last time instrumental songs were really popular, i.e., actually got played on mainstream pop radio. Used to be a pretty common phenomenon in the pop world (Ventures, Herb Alpert, Chuck Mangione). Perhaps there are some I am unfamiliar with and I know the nature of “charts” has changed and we now have Adult Contemporary Instrumental and whatnot, but still… kinda sad it went out with him.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I don’t have as strong of feelings as you but I get what you mean. I really liked what Branford Marsalis did with the soprano sax for the soundtrack to a movie called Sneakers.
I think because it occupies the same frequency range as whiny teenagers.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
In Kenny G's Wikipedia entry, Branford Marsalis is quoted as follows, "When all these jazz guys get in a tizzy over Kenny G, they need to leave Kenny alone. He's not stealing jazz. The audience he has wouldn't be caught dead at a real jazz concert or club. It's not like some guy says, 'You know, I used to listen to Miles, Trane and Ornette. And then I heard Kenny G, and I never put on another Miles record.' It's a completely different audience."

When I was 17, somebody gave me a Rod McKuen book and record; I liked them for a while. I also really liked Roger Whitaker and Bobby Goldsboro. I moved on. Now I like sappy songs by Jesse Winchester.
That's one of the funniest things I've heard on this forum! You go Branford!
Metheny/Marsalis cage match!
Ready, Fight!