1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Cult- Peace (the "lost album")

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by blowtorch, Feb 25, 2021.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Cuts that would go on to be part of the "Electric" album.

From wiki-

After the breakthrough success of their second album, Love, the Cult began working on a follow-up with producer Steve Brown. In the summer of 1986, they recorded twelve tracks at the Manor Studio in Oxfordshire. These recordings, which came to be known as the Manor Sessions, were to make up a new album, tentatively entitled Peace. However upon completion of the recording sessions, the band decided that they were unhappy with the sound, and began to look for a new producer.

That producer of course was Rick Rubin, and the results were legendary. But these earlier recorded and then scrapped tracks are very interesting, IMO

2. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Whoa. You mentioned this recently and I forgot to go digging. Love hearing this with the more psychedelic production of Love/Dreamtime, though Electric is still a perfect album for me.

3. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Sounds great, and I guess that makes the more 'familiar' version a kind of cover of this one...hadn't heard this before, although I was aware of it.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow. The Electric version of Wildflower is such a great bedroom-mirror guitar song. It's very strange hearing it without that almighty riff -- BAAA DA DAT DAT, BAAA DA DAT DAT.

blowtorch likes this.
  5. blowtorch

Agreed
    [​IMG]
    :cool:

basher, buster poser and aging_rocker like this.
  6. blowtorch

More

7. blowtorch

This showed up today
    [​IMG]
    With the tour announcement of The Cult performing the album Electric during 2013, Beggars Banquet made a marketing move that benefited them to release the previously unreleased album Peace with Electric, called "Electric Peace"

Peace - Produced By Steve Brown - previously released on disc 3 of the Rare Cult box set: https://www.discogs.com/The-Cult-Rare-Cult/master/196437

1986: Ian and Billy were not 100% completely happy with the recordings of Peace.
    Rick Rubin offered to remix the song Peace Dog. Ian and Billy were so thrilled with the results that they notified Beggars Banquet that were moving forward to re-record the entire album with Rick Rubin.

2013: The release of "Electric Peace" marks the first time that all of the Steve Brown produced tracks have officially come together on one release. Some of these tracks were previously released as "B sides" or on box sets, but never all together.

Tracklist

Electric
    Wild Flower 3:37
    Peace Dog 3:34
    Lil' Devil 2:44
    Aphrodisiac Jacket 4:11
    Electric Ocean 2:49
    Bad Fun 3:33
    King Contrary Man 3:12
    Love Removal Machine 4:17
    Born To Be Wild 3:56
    Outlaw 2:52
    Memphis Hip Shake 3:59
    Peace
    Love Removal Machine 5:17
    Wild Flower 4:12
    Peace Dog 5:10
    Aphrodisiac Jacket 4:26
    Electric Ocean 4:14
    Bad Fun 6:26
    Conquistador 2:54
    Zap City 5:17
    Love Trooper 3:56
    Outlaw 5:09
    Groove Co. 4:14

Which is appropriate, since this showed up yesterday, and I'm wearing it today
    [​IMG]

I've really got to get myself a copy of Sonic Temple. My buddy had it on vinyl and we listened to it constantly back in the day, and it became so ingrained i simply never felt the need, but I miss some of the more obscure songs off that one

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I hated Electric so much ever since it came out, that riff from Love Removal Machine just annoys me, but I would probably have liked it if this came out first.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.