The Cult - I Regret Not Catching Them Live

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
I was aware of them and second-hand dug them around the time of Sonic Temple but other than that they were never on my radar. In your face swagger and groove.

I just watched the linked concert from 1987 and then the one from 2022 in Glascow, Astbury's hometown. Two still standing; Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy. Great frontman, love the songs, but I'm really impressed with the guitar playing of Billy Duffy. Rock, but more about the song and groove than wanking. Very melodic.

I can feel a lot of different influences in them but one I sense was from AC/DC in the way they are straight up guitar cranked and rocking tunes. Found it funny Duffy is playing a Gretsch White Falcon like Malcolm did. I always laugh when I see Malcolm with it as the guitar is as big as him.

malcolm young acdc white falcon .jpg

radtz

Tele-Afflicted
I've purchased 3 vinyl LPs since the 1980's: The Cure - Mixed Down and Standing on the Beach and The Cult - Electric/Peace.

I absolutely love Peace (and the Demo Sessions). Those were the recordings of the songs on Electric done in the style of Love before they changed them into AC/DC songs. Love both styles.

StevesBoogie

Tele-Afflicted
Great band, great music. And a fresh return to roots, of sorts, from all the glam that was going on at the time.

I was fortunate enough to see them at the House of Blues in Vegas in 2000. We had backstage passes but were never able to meet the boys. But hung with a few pleasant roadies for an hour or so who made our day, LOL.

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
I was aware of them and second-hand dug them around the time of Sonic Temple but other than that they were never on my radar. In your face swagger and groove.

I just watched the linked concert from 1987 and then the one from 2022 in Glascow, Astbury's hometown. Two still standing; Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy. Great frontman, love the songs, but I'm really impressed with the guitar playing of Billy Duffy. Rock, but more about the song and groove than wanking. Very melodic.

I can feel a lot of different influences in them but one I sense was from AC/DC in the way they are straight up guitar cranked and rocking tunes. Found it funny Duffy is playing a Gretsch White Falcon like Malcolm did. I always laugh when I see Malcolm with it as the guitar is as big as him.

View attachment 1017416

So much for speed reading....

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
Always been a favorite band of mine (until they went Steppenwolf c*ck rock on us all). Saw them live at a small college in New York for the "Love" album. They were very good.

I do recall a very humourous (and awkward) moment from that concert. Ian announced they were going to play a new song. He told us it was called "Love Removal Machine." Much of the audience laughed out loud at the title. I don't think Ian was too pleased.

And yes, I have to post this picture below. Duffy was a pretty big influence on my guitar playing. I had to buy his gear:

PICT0696-jpgfix.jpg

artdecade

Poster Extraordinaire
The Cult didn't hang it up, did they? Otherwise, you can still see them live. I saw them back in the 90s and they were awesome.

CalebAaron666

Tele-Holic
I love The Cult. I’ve been a fan for a long long time. I’ll always prefer their first 4 albums (especially the Dreamtime and Love).
I got to see them in Boston in 2019. Killer show.
Billy Duffy is one of the reasons I wanted a White Falcon.