1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

the craziest Townes Van Zandt Story....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Oct 23, 2020.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

what would you be willing to do to get your guitar back?

Texicaster, drf64, scook and 2 others like this.
  2. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister

I always enjoy Otis’s stories. I heard Townes a few times and ran across Blaze (who had to sneak in at that point) at the Kerrville Folk Festival, but this story is new to me..

brookdalebill and getbent like this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Cant watch this now but I am intrigued. Townes was an interesting person that worked with and against his demons

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

in 1978, I was in a record store that had used and new records and tapes etc. I saw in the 'cutout' bin Live At The Old Quarter Townes Van Zandt. 1.99. I put it in my 'maybe' pile and ended up buying it. I put it in the tape deck in my vw and man.... It didn't come out for a long long time. I was already a HUGE Willis Alan Ramsey fan and this was the 'next' thing for me. Man, I learned all the jokes, I could pretty much repeat the patter... great music...

5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I was at the Old Quarter for two of the most miserable (temperature wise) nights of my life. Amazing music, especially if you’re a Townes fan but my god there was no AC, minimal fans and a packed house.

When it’s particularly hot I refer to it as a Quarter Day. Only 2 people have ever put 2+2 together.

telestratosonic, drmordo and getbent like this.
  6. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

They mention this in the movie Blaze, although I don’t know how true the context is. The scene looks like Townes and Rex(Wrecks) being interviewed and Townes brings it up.

Another funny story in the movie where Townes says every time he’s on stage and someone reaches into his pocket and pulls out a harmonica and wants to sit in, he’d rather them reach in their jacket and pull out a gun and shoot him instead of having another harmonica player.

The story of him claiming he wrote Pancho and Lefty thanks to Billy Graham and the guru is funny too. This is on a couple of bootlegs/live cuts floating around.

Although most of his jokes ended up not being super funny, I always chuckle about the nun and drinking the “Martin eye”. I think that might of been on the Old Quarter live album

drmordo, getbent and Texicaster like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a Townes story.
    In 1986, a friend of mine organized a benefit at the Broken Spoke for a local musician (now famous, then not famous) who needed a back operation.
    My friend, the organizer and I were in a band together at the time.
    The organizer got local luminaries to play for the benefit, including Doug Sahm and Townes.
    I provided my PA system, and I ran it.
    The benefit was well attended, and was a success.
    When it came time for Townes to play, he was in a fetal position, wrapped around the base of the bar table my right PA speaker was sitting on.
    He was in no condition to play.
    Pictures of this show, including one of Doug Sahm, and yours truly running the mixer appeared in Guitar Player magazine.
    The article, written by then Austin resident Dan Forte was about Austin guitarists.
    Though perhaps not a super interesting story, I swear it’s true.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.