THE COURAGE TO TELL MYSELF THE TRUTH. I DISLIKE MY CURRENT TELE.

Sargent Pepper

Tele-Meister
What I dislike about it is:
1. The fat neck; I like the 7.25" radius and rosewood board but I prefer slim/skinny necks like my old Ibanez 1984 Roadstar or my MIJ Tele (sold in 2005 to pay for a weed bill).
2. The unbound body. I prefer a double bound. I'm a klutz, the double bound bodies I've had gave more protection from the inevitable bumps.
3. It's black. Black is for clothes IMHO.
4. The 4 pot layout and position, however I like the switch position.
5. The stock WRHB pickup. It sounds awful even though I mainly play in the middle position.
6. I hate the pickguard shape too. Aesthetically it irritates me.

So you never really liked it. Not sure why you bought it in the first place, and then sunk so much money in it.

I just never spend much money modding a guitar. Changing tuners, a bridge, pickups, not much invested but if i have to do all that and more I’ll just sell it and find something I like. I nearly always break even or make money when i sell it, doing it that way.

Last edited:

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
So you never really liked it. Not sure why you bought it in the first place, and then sunk so much money in it.
I bought it because the guy was selling it at a price I could afford at that time, when my only income was disability allowance.
I knew the guy who was selling it had looked after well, it had been lying unplayed in a case under his bed for a few years, plus it was being sold through my friend's repair shop, so he decided to waive his 20% selling fee.
In a nutshell, available finances.
As for the mods I've done, they've all been gradual and with what finances I've had available at that time.

Twang Deluxe

Tele-Afflicted
This is the only one I have to hand on this computer at the moment, it's currently dismantled.
View attachment 1013603
Taken when my rowan fell into my fire pit back during the December storms.
Nice picture. When I buy a guitar I try to regard it as a tool and not to becone too much sentimental (I only have two guitars which I got in my teens which I would never sell). I would get a used Classic/Vintera 50s or 60s. If you would sell the single pieces of your guitar separately you can even make a profit.

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Afflicted
You fine folks just "talked" me into it. I'm taking my "turd"
Telecaster, to Guitar Center today and trade that nasty piece
of work for something I can feel good about. Thank you to all.

scotabilly

Tele-Meister
You might like the Squier Classic Vibe version of the Tele Custom. Nearly the same guitar, but with a nice slim neck, and very decent quality for a little less money.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
What is this...weed bill?

Well right here is a weed bill.

1664466434938.png

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm pretty sure what sours a guy on the Tele Custom Mexican or American made is the modern version of the WRHB. Fender, SHOULD voluntarily change those things out. Oh well, I'm pretty sure they are out of warranty by now.

i never understood why they couldn't make a reasonable RI cheaply, especially if they paid for the tooling of the larger baseplate and cover. they've probably spent more money "revoicing" the PAF "reissue" than just repurposing what they have on hand, or getting an off the rack solution.

they could use two alnico SC bobbins from another model, underwound to work as HB coils, slapped on a WRHB plate. or a rail humbucker with bar mags in the bobbins, like a firebird pickup. both of those are cheap to do and would sound closer to the real thing.

and it’s not like they care about perfect vintage aesthetics in other regards, so i don’t understand why not having screw pole pieces is a non-starter. pole pieces sticking through the cover or just holes with the bar showing through is more than sufficient for the look.

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
i never understood why they couldn't make a reasonable RI cheaply, especially if they paid for the tooling of the larger baseplate and cover. they've probably spent more money "revoicing" the PAF "reissue" than just repurposing what they have on hand, or getting an off the rack solution.

they could use two alnico SC bobbins from another model, underwound to work as HB coils, slapped on a WRHB plate. or a rail humbucker with bar mags in the bobbins, like a firebird pickup. both of those are cheap to do and would sound closer to the real thing.

and it’s not like they care about perfect vintage aesthetics in other regards, so i don’t understand why not having screw pole pieces is a non-starter. pole pieces sticking through the cover or just holes with the bar showing through is more than sufficient for the look.

I had the opportunity to own a good Tele but chose to sell two AVRI 52s one was brand new when I got it, the other was a floor model. Both were excellent guitars. The Tele I liked the best though was a 2006 Diamond Anniversary with original 52 pickups. I had a great Strat, an American Standard which if I had back, I'd be happy with that guitar alone. Not to mention two American Standard Teles I bought and sold.

The AV 72 Tele Custom has left such a bad taste in my mouth I will never buy another Fender product. I alternate between liking it and outright hating it. I was going through a bad period after my son's passing and should have waited to sell off stuff until I was through that, for some reason, I felt an urgency to put my own affairs in order.

I have installed Kluson tuners, and a Kluson six saddle bridge on the guitar, and intended to address the sorry, blankety, blankety, blankety, blank, blank wide range pickup at some point, but instead I've just about quit playing the electric guitar altogether. I know it is irrational to be angry at Fender, but they KNOW that sorry pickup they put in those guitars which were fairly expensive should not be in them. They should have stepped up and did something. They could have and should have swapped them out for the new cunife pickups, but they probably aren't any good either. I was going to buy one to try, then I realized I had made a promise to NEVER buy FENDER again.

The issue is further complicated by not being able to buy a pickguard to install a replacement pickup in. The people who make pickguards for the AV Tele say they won't fit a Fender product! Why would you make Pickguards for a specific model guitar that doesn't fit? Nothing about this guitar makes a bit of sense. I had to have taken leave of my senses the day that I bought it. Fender, I cordially invite you be stuck with something one day, just as I am stuck with this guitar. This is my HAIR SHIRT, I will continue to wear it, and beat myself about the shoulders EVERYTIME I even look at a FENDER PRODUCT!

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
They could have and should have swapped them out for the new cunife pickups, but they probably aren't any good either. I was going to buy one to try, then I realized I had made a promise to NEVER buy FENDER again.

the cunife probably sound fine. but everyone has made such a big deal about the magnet composition, which doesn't matter as much as the construction, and can be solved by finding the right gauss if the construction is correct.

i have played boutique ones done with alnico mags and they pretty much sound the same. i have played boutique ones that are not only alnico mag, but entirely different form factor (jazzmaster shape) and they are more than reasonable approximations.

people always have to make the perfect the enemy of the good and everyone loses.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
the cunife probably sound fine. but everyone has made such a big deal about the magnet composition, which doesn't matter as much as the construction, and can be solved by finding the right gauss if the construction is correct.

i have played boutique ones done with alnico mags and they pretty much sound the same. i have played boutique ones that are not only alnico mag, but entirely different form factor (jazzmaster shape) and they are more than reasonable approximations.

people always have to make the perfect the enemy of the good and everyone loses.

I have the revoiced version, and it's not terrible, it's just not really something I like, nor will I ever. I am not looking for the CUNIFE sound, I don't care about any of that, I wouldn't mind if it just had a good single coil in it, or maybe something like the Firebird humbucker, just anything that had a useable sound.

The aesthetics I do care about however, I don't want some sort of adapter ring over the pickup screwed to the pickguard. The tuners were just junk, the bridge was about five dollars' worth of scrap. I have corrected that. It just seems funny to me, that Fender would market something they had to have known was never going to be anyone's favorite guitar. If this had of been a $300 guitar, sure, but for what they charged, they should be ashamed. I have to be angry with Fender, else I would have to be angry with me for buying it in the first place. ;) (I know who is at fault here, I'm just in denial.)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Opportunity to shop for more guitars.
I bought guitars never ordering, just traveling and buying. Bought a lot of them local, went to Oklahoma to look at one, bought one on that same trip over in Arkansas. Got burnt on a Banjo, managed to beat the shipper to the punch on the claim, and got my money, cured me of ordering. When you're into shopping for more guitars, there's nothing like it, but once the charm starts to go, it's gone, and it's never coming back. Buying one more guitar, is kind of like having one more drink, you just never get to the last one.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
IMHO, if you don't like the neck, it's game over, at least for that neck.

I always think that the neck is 90% of the instrument. All the other bits & pieces can be changed, if you are so inclined/motivated/bothered/bored.

I've also discovered that what constitutes a 'feels really good' neck can change over time.

I used to favour fairly chunky neck profiles, but having lived with a scrawny-necked Ibanez for some years now (out of necessity), I now often find others to be too chunky.

I had a play with a Gretsch recently and the neck felt like a power pole, which disappointed me because I so wanted to like the guitar.