THE COURAGE TO TELL MYSELF THE TRUTH. I DISLIKE MY CURRENT TELE.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I'm pretty sure what sours a guy on the Tele Custom Mexican or American made is the modern version of the WRHB. Fender, SHOULD voluntarily change those things out. Oh well, I'm pretty sure they are out of warranty by now.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
This is kind of like a sore on the back of your hand that you can't quite quit picking at. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with design of the Tele Custom, it just needed another pickup other than the WRHB. I think though the thing that makes it hard to get along with the guitar, is that it is just so different from a regular Tele. On its own, there is nothing wrong with the guitar, but it just feels and looks odd to you, if you've played a lot of for want of a better term, regular Teles.

Now, I've thought many times about changing out the pickup, but it's not that simple. You can't buy a pickguard to replace it using a different pickup. The places you can buy the pickguards warn you, this will probably not fit your FENDER! If it won't fit a Fender what's it for? Nah, I'll probably just let it alone, and look over at it once in a while and say, what was I thinkin'?

The Tele Custom kind of makes you feel like you went to the shoe store for a pair of nice leather shoes and came back with. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Besides, tomorrow I might like it again.

1659761373806.png

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
You sound like a very well-organized and smart fella!
Don't be in a hurry.
Find your neck first. Put it in a box. Then a body ...
By the time a few months pass, you'll have accumulated all the components you need.
And by then you'll have the education to put it together.
Always take your time. It's like with casting a fly - never be in a hurry. Enjoy the simple pleasures to the fullest.

And don't forget to post a thread for it so we can all check it out!

Cheers!

THIS ☝️ I'd also like to add: @Kandinskyesque feel free to ask any questions you might have during your build. Be sure to search this site too, cause there's tons and tons of threads that are already out here that will likely answer your questions as well. In fact, this is how I found my way to this site when I first started thinking about building my own Tele ;) There was so much info already out here that I built my Tele off prior threads advice, and then became a member afterwards LOL!!! Good luck man!!

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Here is my Turd polishing thread. It took a lot of effort.
I think it came out pretty well in the end, that sounds bad. :oops:
It is a keeper 👍

20210910_223726468_iOS.jpg

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
THIS ☝️ I'd also like to add: @Kandinskyesque feel free to ask any questions you might have during your build. Be sure to search this site too, cause there's tons and tons of threads that are already out here that will likely answer your questions as well. In fact, this is how I found my way to this site when I first started thinking about building my own Tele ;) There was so much info already out here that I built my Tele off prior threads advice, and then became a member afterwards LOL!!! Good luck man!!

Yes, the forum is a great place to find ideas about building a Tele. Ping Ping Clicka was an invaluable source of information in designing and building my first Tele. I've got to work a few things out design-wise, but here is my first self-built Tele. (Plays like buttah)

1659800552389.png

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, the forum is a great place to find ideas about building a Tele. Ping Ping Clicka was an invaluable source of information in designing and building my first Tele. I've got to work a few things out design-wise, but here is my first self-built Tele. (Plays like buttah)

View attachment 1013803

Man with that baby you'll really be able to rock and "roll" !!! :lol::lol::cool:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Just to show you how fickle I am, I picked up that AV 72 Tele Custom today, and eyeballed the Kluson Tuners, and six-saddle bridge I put on it, and turned on the DRRI which I had just before tubes started getting scarce put all new pre-amp tubes in and thought. You know I've been looking for a guitar like this! ;)

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Personally I don't get along with humbuckers in Teles. They make it sound like - not a Tele.
So true! After playing my 1970 Thinline w/buckers for 15 years, I picked up up a friend’s plain Tele with singles and realized THAT was the sound I wanted! I wasted no time trading it straight across for a Les Paul Black Beauty and a REAL Tele. I never looked back.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
It came as a sense of relief last night after dismantling my guitar yesterday to give it good clean, service, set up and order new parts, that I realise I'm polishing a turd.

They only thing I like about my current Telecaster is that I saved hard and bought it when I was a year sober, other than that, I don't like it and have been looking up and buying parts to mitigate my dislike for this guitar.

It's a 72 Custom Reissue (MIM), in black. I've added a Bigsby B5 with the Callaham upgrades and Chet bar; a Duncan bridge pickup; Schaller Da Vinci tuners; a Graphtec nut and I have an array of pots, knobs and a rotary switch sitting in a box waiting to be installed.
It's had umpteen full set ups in the 9 years since I bought it.

What I dislike about it is:
1. The fat neck; I like the 7.25" radius and rosewood board but I prefer slim/skinny necks like my old Ibanez 1984 Roadstar or my MIJ Tele (sold in 2005 to pay for a weed bill).
2. The unbound body. I prefer a double bound. I'm a klutz, the double bound bodies I've had gave more protection from the inevitable bumps.
3. It's black. Black is for clothes IMHO.
4. The 4 pot layout and position, however I like the switch position.
5. The stock WRHB pickup. It sounds awful even though I mainly play in the middle position.
6. I hate the pickguard shape too. Aesthetically it irritates me.

It's never lived up to the MIJ I had, the ESP Tele from the early 90s nor even my friend's Jimmy Moon Tele that I looked after for 18 months when he was on tour.

There isn't anything off the shelf that I can see that meets my spec, so it looks like I'll be sourcing parts over the next few months. From the parts, I'll either get my friend to build it when he's back from tour (currently tech-ing for Placebo) or get another luthier/tech of which there are plenty in Glasgow.

My current Tele, "Cecilia" (all my guitars are called Cecilia after the patron saint of music, my sister, my mother, grandmother, great grandmother and great-great grandmother) is now resigned to being a stopgap guitar until I get the guitar that I'm looking for. Probably in early 2023.

Life is too short for turd polishing.
OP:
Throw away your turd polish and get one of these:
1662475390832.png

Schecter PT Special.
Single coil bridge, P90 neck (tasty!)
Swamp ash body
Tummy and forearm cuts
Bound neck and body
Tusq nut
Lockers
(Yeah, it comes in other colors as well)
Neck is not as fat as the one you have and dislike.

$699 brand spankin' new every day.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I'd offer suggestions but, since I like thick necks and hate a 7.25" radius, I doubt I could help. I do hope you find what you're looking for.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Life is too short for turd polishing.

I agree, and as I get older (53) I agree more and more. I'm not opposed to swapping pickups, EVEN NECKS if I really love everything else about it, (or speakers if it's an amp), but I've been down the "mod it into what I want" road more than once. It's worked out beautifully with my strat, but never really gave me what I wanted from anything else. And a "turd" doesn't have to be a cheap guitar either- my $5K PRS DGT is not perfect. But I'm not touching it. I'll just play it. I bought it for the band so I use the bridge pickup (which is glorious) 95% of the time anyway. But it will never be the guitar I choose for home playing. And I'm not "upgrading" or modding a $5K guitar. I had a Squier thinline that I put more money into than I paid for the guitar. Never was up to snuff. I could play it just fine, it sounded fine, but I never bonded with it.

Nope... these days, something has to really impress me AS IS before I consider keeping it. I'm done polishing turds, even really nice, perfectly formed ones LOL.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
I'm inclined to agree with some of the posts above. Set your sights on something else and keep the '72.

Lots of us have Teles we weren't enamored with at the time that we sold on and regretted later.

I scored a '04 MIM '72 RI in black 2 years ago for US $450, which was apparently a good price. It replaced one I sold back in 2000. After a few years I regretted selling it.

Fiesta Red

Doctor of Teleocity
This is the only one I have to hand on this computer at the moment, it's currently dismantled.
View attachment 1013603
Taken when my rowan fell into my fire pit back during the December storms.
That’s a good looking turd (IMHO)…but I understand.

I GAS’d for a Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe for a couple of years…finally got one, dressed it up cosmetically and made it gorgeous…and just couldn’t bond with it….

Didn’t like the Fender MP90’s (a weak version of a P-90, IMHO)…was about to go down the replacement pickup rabbit hole and realized I didn’t like the way the neck joined the body (the Modern Player models had a weird 22-fret neck with a deeper neck rout that just “felt weird” to me)…couldn’t just fix that, so I sold it and moved on.

It sure was pretty, though.

D91AF526-0C6D-44CD-86FD-598B54D1E7EE.jpeg
D84B6E41-AE30-456D-AE47-AD098505C13A.jpeg

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
Truly great instruments are rare. A lot of great playing has been done on mediocre guitars. If you sell it, you might miss it. Then again, maybe this is how I've ended up with a room full of guitars I never play.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

The lack of 'bonding' with a guitar is always the tone. Fix that and maybe the neck.

I'd convert it to a Junior with a regular humbucker and a single volume and tone.