The Cosmic Web

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JL_LI, Oct 4, 2019.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

And you thought this was about a new pedal... Scientists have finally been able to take a picture of the cosmic web that holds the universe together. The picture shows part of the web, tenuous threads of gas, backlit by the light of galaxies behind them. What holds the web together? No one is speculating publically if this picture may show actual locations of dark matter. Something is keeping these threads organized over billions of years. cosmic threads.jpg

This link takes you to a short PBS article written for nonscientists. Quoting from the article, "it supports the idea that galaxies are seeded at the intersections of filaments, where matter concentrates—something that could have governed the formation of the universe in its earliest days." Is it concentrations of dark matter at the nodes triggering the formation of galaxies? Is this where primordial black holes originate? This is fascinating stuff to me. It probably occupies too much of my time but I can't help it. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/cosmic-web-filament-muse/?linkId=74723468

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i think this is fascinating and awesome. wish I was intelligent enough to understand it better.

JL_LI likes this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

JL_LI likes this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

There is a certain type of intelligence, and also a lot of study necessary to understand the math and physics behind this discovery. It only takes an open mind and a willingness to accept that there are things that are real that are beyond our everyday experience to appreciate how fascinating and awesome it is. I see the universe as something amazing and beautiful and what little I understand about how it works just adds to my appreciation. It's been quite a year in astrophysics, the first image of a black hole and now the first images of the cosmic web.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    thunderbyrd and 6stringcowboy like this.
  5. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I love me some starry night skies and trying to take pics of deep space objects.

The thought of how big our galaxy and the universe is, sorta makes everyday problems seem kinda small.

[​IMG]

JL_LI likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If I could start over, I'd love to study cosmology. And to be smart enough to study cosmology. Man's quest for answers...

7. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Light in extension.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.