The continued cultural significance of Fender guitars

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
nooo, it's the most popular guitar shape ever and the most iconic electric guitar in the world. It looks a little bit passé in recent years, but as PRS proved, it just needed a little update to be popular all over again.
I don't like the strat shaped much. I like mustangs, dano's, jazzmasters, big boxes, but the strat shape not so much.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
In the '50s British cars mostly looked like tea kettles.

orig_3100.jpg

CC186-UND-01.jpg

Lea-francis-14-8-6589.jpg

10-morris-minor-front.jpg
IMG_0502.jpg
59305-0-medium.jpg
Truth is, Punk wasnt an assault on the Queens fascism, it was all about Grandmas old jalopy she was always going on about...

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
Most days a flick through the newspaper will reveal a Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster

I don’t know about the UK, but newspapers in newsprint are all but dead in the U.S. It’s all digital. Plus, many just ignore the news.
However I get what you’re saying.
I would say it continues to be iconic but I wouldn’t term it of cultural influence for most.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Certainly iconic. It's interesting how 2 or three basic shapes (body and headstock) have endured, and how few variations have been as successful in even coming along side. I think one of the coolest things about Bowie for example is his Supro or Framus.

But I guess it's a little bit like pants - they generally all have two legs. There's only so much you can deviate between models (among bipeds anyway).

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
nooo, it's the most popular guitar shape ever and the most iconic electric guitar in the world. It looks a little bit passé in recent years, but as PRS proved, it just needed a little update to be popular all over again.
PRS and "popular." Not words you often see in the same sentence. The next time Paul popularizes anything it will be a celebrated first.

As far as passé, guitars are passé. THE electric guitar is not, at least not within the realm of electric guitars. Fender's strat sales prove that beyond any reasonable doubt.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah Jack White plays mainly Fender now, He had a cool jazzmaster too... I think the story is that he made the orange tele he used to play out of parts and Fender saw him playing it and said "We'll make you whatever you want" ... because, you know, he's Jack White.

View attachment 998780 View attachment 998781

as well as these 2, which I presume are a blueburst tele and jazzmaster acousasonics?
View attachment 998782

What do you think he'll play when he gets to his yellow period?

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah Jack White plays mainly Fender now, He had a cool jazzmaster too... I think the story is that he made the orange tele he used to play out of parts and Fender saw him playing it and said "We'll make you whatever you want" ... because, you know, he's Jack White.

View attachment 998780 View attachment 998781

as well as these 2, which I presume are a blueburst tele and jazzmaster acousasonics?
View attachment 998782
I’ll believe that - I know someone who’s not nearly that high profile that got a free guitar from fender.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't like the strat shaped much. I like mustangs, dano's, jazzmasters, big boxes, but the strat shape not so much.
I have an aversion to strats but I think that’s just because of how ubiquitous they are. That’s a big part of why I picked a telecaster as my first electric guitar when I was fifteen and why I spend a lot of time playing a jaguar now. Without all that cultural baggage, I might really like them. Well, outside of that middle pickup being right in the way of where I strum. I’ve played a few that I really like, but given the option I’ll almost always pick another fender style single coil guitar over a strat.

It’s also related to why I pick sgs over lps.

Ian111

TDPRI Member
Fender directly markets their guitars to a younger/hipster/LGBTQ audience while Gibson clings to the the golden age of rock and a more masculine audience (like Harley or Ford/Chevy/Ram full size pickups).

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
Fender's Custom Colors prolonged the "hip moment" for many '50s car colors, first moving it to the '60s, then all the way to the '80s to present retro period for collectible custom colors.

By moving the colors from cars to guitars, Fender extended their hip lifespan.