The Cloud - Generalities questions

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Feb 5, 2016.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ok

I get it, dump your mainframe and as400's and use the someone
    else's server farm who know where, but, what about connectivity.

Use internet legacy systems.

If the cloud is based on connectivity, wouldnt it be quicker to have
    cat5 going down the hall, instead of ethernet hubs to out slobovoia?

That is not even considering that you have no ability to modify anything
    since it technically is not their or yours.

And now azure..what the heck, get the plc devices and refrigerators
    connected too, I wont be able to turn my car on or toaster. Remember stuxnet?

2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Terminator-Genesis....everything will be connected.

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Our halls would have to be 85 mi long.

Two years ago now, but at one site I was part of the IBM mini had to go because no new solutions suitable were geared for a small business (500 or less) or cost-effective. That and what we're neck deep in as I type showed MS SQL-based solutions and Dymanics for financials to be the best choice. Especially for hybrid cloud and getting power in the hands of mobile staff.

I have a hub and spoke VPN and the connection costs to be super expensive as demand grows vs our having the hybrid cloud of people using Office 365 and Adobe's cloud.

As far as security, in past 2 years I've had more nightmares from people under the roofs than outside. My Cisco-based WAN and VPN have kept encrypted tunnels but they couldn't do anything about a few c suite residents who demanded special rights and took out a server with a crypto virus via the stupid web access and file sharing they demanded.

Where "cloud" as a buzzword has been stupid: Our CPA firm and the payroll firm getting kicked out spent 2 and 4 years respectively trying to make one size fits all solutions work. One size fits all doesn't always work. When they gave up they left nearly 20,000 Excel files that were their stupid interface.

Enjoy the cloud:

http://gizmodo.com/the-best-of-cloud-to-butt-the-only-extension-youll-eve-1685863609

4. uriah1

tks..I will keep reading more..sounds like you have an ISACA badge..lol

Maybe this will put SAP out of biz

5. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I think it's really ironic. I got an Apple ][ computer in 1978, we thought it was a revolution - free yourself from the Computer Center Priesthood, put power into the hands of the individual! But now everyone is more dependent on huge data centers than ever.

Remember Apple's 1984 commercial? They have become the Big Brother character - the world's biggest company, trying hard to get your whole life on their servers.

Apple = Genisys = Skynet :?:

6. imwjl

Consider TNO (trust no one) encryption the big brother character is not a threat. Next consider where wireless data performance is at. We have security and performance that changes it all from those days.

7. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Well I agree that everything is different today and there are many advantages to having data in the cloud. But when the network goes down and all your stuff is in the cloud, you're out of luck. And your ability to access your data is totally at the whim of the company storing it.

If you get into a billing dispute for example, you can get locked out. If your movies are on Apple's servers, and they have a legal battle with one of the studios, they can pull films even though you purchased them and you have no recourse (as I understand their TOS).

8. imwjl

This was in a recent round of posts on Windows 10, but it's rare when a software, music or movie purchase is really yours. You buy the license to use it.

The best cloud products are hybrid. A very simple example would be how the files in my OneDrive or Dropbox folders are synchronized in more than one place, and how better mobile apps let you have a copy of the data with you when there's no network connection.

Doing it well means you're still in business or less out of luck when a network connection is down. Being at the whim of the company storing it as you said isn't the cloud's fault as much as it is probably the result of a poor decision or product choice.

The old backup wisdom of two forms of media and two places should get most here (home and small office users) by.

9. uriah1

I miss green screens

10. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Cloud. People toss the word around like it's the easiest, most robust, most amazing solution to all of you're problems. All you're doing is moving you're problems to someone else server room and then adding connectivity and security issues to the equation. Sure, it has it's uses, but an end-all solution it's not. Yet.

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Lets see do I want my business data protected by Amazon or Microsoft's security team or two guys with security certification? Tough call.

12. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Neither disclose information about their security teams other than saying they have them. And they offer no guarantees of security. And they have no stake in securing your data other than them losing you as a customer. Also, their team could be the same two guys.....or it could be a handful of folks that are 'training on the job' in a third world country. Feel 'secure' now?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.