The Cleanest Orange Squeezer On The Planet? -- guitar effect demo -- I built

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by wnorcott, Jan 29, 2009.

1. wnorcott

wnorcott Tele-Holic

I built it last night. The cleanest sounding Orange Squeezer compressor on the planet? You be the judge. Using high fidelity op amp designed in this century.

Guitar is a 1981 Electra Omega X210 through a 1973 Peavey theClassic 50 watt tube amplifier. The recording was made dry with just a microphone in front of the amplifier. No EQ or digital effects of any kind were added.

Even though this is a monaural demo you can listen in higher quality audio by clicking on this link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLEWiHe52n8&fmt=18

I HOPE YOU LIKE IT

Bill

2. bobbyk

bobbyk TDPRI Member

Bill,

If you don't mind sharing information....

I've been trying to get my OS build working for some time now and you seem to have cracked the code.What IC did you end up using? Also is that a pc-mounted multi-turn pot I see in there? What value did you end up using?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

3. skiraly017

skiraly017 Tele-Holic

Sounds great! OPA2134 for the op-amp?

4. wnorcott

wnorcott Tele-Holic

In this application I am using the Maxim MAX412EPA+ low-noise, low-voltage precision op amp.

Digi Key sells it for $6.01 each in minimum quantity 50.

It is designed to operate between 5 volts and 10 volt i.e. ±2.5V to ±5.0V.

Unity gain stable gain-bandwidth product is 28 Mhz. Compare that to 2 MHz for a 4558 and 3 MHz for the TL072, and 8MHz for OPA2134. Input resistance is 40 Megohm. Near zero input offset voltage and current.

Minimum signal gain is 115 dB (typical 122 dB) and channel separation is 135 dB between the two amplifiers. Noise level of the MAX412 is 18 times better than the horrific 4558 and 12 times better than the ancient and highly overrated TL072, and more than 3 times better than even the OPA2134. Maximum total harmonic distortion PLUS noise (THD+N) for the MAX412 is -98 dB or better across the entire audible range.

We can hear the results.

MAX412 has 262 transistors in there, versus 28 for a TL072 or 4558 just to give you an idea of how analog audio has evolved since the 1960's when the TL072 was introduced.

The trim pot I am using is a Bourns 25 turn precision trimmer, 10K

5. PaisleyRocks

PaisleyRocks Tele-Holic

I love it, it's perfect. I dig the 1 knob simplicity.

6. Robbie W

Robbie W Tele-Holic

These specs are impressive on paper and I'm not disputing that the Maxim MAX412EPA is a top notch op amp, but keep in mind that the frequency range of guitars is around 4Khz and down. Most guitar amp speakers can't even reproducing frequencies above 4kHz-5kHz.

The TL072 was introduced in late 1978, not the 60's.

take care,
    Robbie

7. wnorcott

wnorcott Tele-Holic

Thanks for correcting that Robbie. If after listening to the recording, you do not notice the clarity of tone quality or the absence of hiss, hum, noise, distortion or noisy compressor pumping sounds then do not pay the difference for your own projects I guess, but I sure can hear it. The others who listened to the recording can hear it too. The results speak for themselves.

I mentioned the chip because a couple of people asked for what chip I used to achieve that result. Keep in mind I did not post a paper spec sheet, I have posted a video demo of the actual pedal in action. That is as real as it gets.

Bill

8. daveswenson

daveswenson TDPRI Member

Did you use a schematic for an orange squeezer and just change the op amp? Or were there other mods as well?

Swen

9. wnorcott

wnorcott Tele-Holic

Hi Swen. I changed the bias resistor to 2.2K, changed the diode value, changed the trim pot to a precision cermet, plus I used 1% resistors throughout, used 5% caps and of course the op amp. And used matched 2N5457 JFETs that I matched on a test jig.

Bill

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  10. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday Tele-Meister

This string is a few years old but there are still Orange Squeezers so....

It's not too hard to use a single op-amp in the dual op-amp holes. As I recall I installed the package offset by one pair of holes so the inputs would line up (thanks GGG for using the correct side), jumped one pair of pads for either power or ground (I forget), jumped another pair for output, and jumped to an IC pin bent upwards for something else.

Anyway, it halves your opamps and hence doubles your battery life almost. I used a 5534, which I like, although it redoubled the power supply current...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.