1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The cinematography in "Layer Cake"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I saw the movie Layer Cake for the first time this past weekend, it finally came up in the old Netflix queue. Daniel Craig is in it, along with an ostensible British cast that I don't know well. Sienna Miller is also in it, and she or her body double looks good in black linergie.

The plot, subplots, and resolution are pretty good, but what is most striking is the cinematography. Of the movies I have seen lately, it has some of the more unusual and good camera shots.

2. 10Alex10

10Alex10 Tele-Meister

This is in my rental list on LoveFilm (UK version of Netflix I think).
    I like films which do things out of the norm with camera shots and all that. From memory I think the two best I've seen are The Darjeeling Limited and Requiem for a Dream.
    Both are great films as well. Check them out if you get the chance.

3. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Check out The Royal Tenenbaums if you haven't already seen it. Same writer/director as Darjeeling and an all round great film.

I've always thought Tarantino's films have great camera work.

4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

It's a fine line between doing something interesting and unique with the camera and getting in the way of the story with gaudy, look-at-me moves. IMHO, too many try to do the former and wind up doing the latter. I've come to prefer more subtle and understated cinematography. Oh, and I loathe Paul Greengrass-style herky-jerky camerawork and nonsensical fast cutting!

5. J-man

Admin Post
    The handheld "shaky" cam thing works well in some films - but I agree for the most part it's annoying. I thought it worked well in The Wrestler.

6. Skully

Yes. Although, as a rule, I find Aronofsky's films to be painfully self-conscious.

It worked well in "The Hurt Locker," too, but the editors were committed to making the footage from the four simultaneously running cameras come together as seamlessly and coherently as possible.

7. J-man

Admin Post
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by self-conscious?

8. Skully

Jeez... That'd be a lot of work. The wild, look-at-me camerawork in "Pi" and "Requiem for a Dream" (and Ellen Burstyn's over-the-top performance). Aronofsky actually had a nickname for their signature camera move, but I can't remember it. The sophomoric, film school pretentious plot of "The Fountain." What else? "Mr. Aronofsky, I know you used a camera to make this film. I don't need to be reminded constantly."

9. J-man

Admin Post
    I've never really thought about it like that.. When I watch a film I try my best to ignore the fact that there's a director, actors, etc, behind it all. If it works within the context of the film I don't care if the director is a smug *******.:lol:

10. Skully

I've met him a few times and he seems like a really nice guy. It's his films that I find problematic.

11. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I hate the herky jerky camera movements. They are especially prevalent in action movies where you can't actually make out any of the action.

I'm a big fan of Wes Anderson (Darjeeling Limited, Royal Tennenbaums, Rushmore, Life Aquatic). His movies are quirky, have great casts and great music. It's funny but I never really thought about the cinematography in his movies. I will have to watch one of them again.

12. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I forget if you have said what your job is. Could you tell us? You have some really interesting insights into the film business.

13. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

+1000....Bourne Supremacy gave me a headache....

14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Did you see Layer Cake?

I don't think that it went too far, just interesting shots. For example, Daniel Craig and another are looking down at a disasssmbled handgun and talking about it and the camera is looking up through the glass coffee table.

There was a little motion when they were providing the perspective of a guy down on the ground getting his tail beaten.

I thought that the jerky camera thing worked OK in Band of Brothers, but it's been a while since I've seen those particular episodes, and I can't recall if they took it too far.

15. mr newhaven

mr newhaven Tele-Afflicted

layer cake was awesome and super under the radar in my opinion...

a lot of people i know have a hard time understanding some of the accents...
    most people get the british accent its just that slang, street british that is tough to follow for them!

by the way...that was sienna miller in the black lingerie...
    she was THAT hot!

16. Skully

I'm a journalist who writes about the entertainment biz.

Yes. It sits on the shelf behind me as I type. I recall liking it, but not passionately.

17. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Yep...an all points. I feel like it was quite a jewel.

To understand the accents...I use the "captioned for the hard of hearing" option.:D

18. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

I like that movie. Interestingly, Jamie foreman, who played duke in Layer Cake, is the son of the East End gangster Freddie Foreman.

19. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

That's exactly the movie I was talking about.

20. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

I watched L4yer Cake for the second time yesterday.Cool movie and well shot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.